Avro Lincoln - the Lancaster is too small!

seiran01

This’ll be a very long term project that I will likely work on in between other things. An HK Lancaster with parts I’m designing and printing at home to convert the plane to a Lincoln.

This is one BIG model! The conversion adds roughly 3 inches to the length and 6 3/4 inches to the wingspan of the Lancaster and calls for a totally new nose, new wingtips, engine nacelles, longer ailerons and landing flaps, tail modifications, new wheels, and new nose turret and dorsal turrets. Probably other changes too but those are the main ones. 

It’s a project I started last summer and it took me until last week to finally get the nose drawn up where the contours look halfway decent.

Prototypes of the new nose and fuselage extension were printed on my new FDM printer over the last two days and the wingtip extension printed last summer on my resin printer. The nose print failed at 99%; more than enough to confirm the shapes. A bit of tweaking needed but nothing major. 

A full section of the rear fuselage has been removed and replaced by a longer printer part. Simply cutting and adding a plug doesn’t work as the contour of the belly is uniform, and this way it means the farther-forward turret position of the Lincoln is also captured in one piece. 

3jsrfhH.jpg

This multi-colored extension section is one piece; ran out of filament part way through and had to use what I had on hand :)

ZdNdkOB.jpg

iPUnnWr.jpg

:doh:

Nice start buddy, I didn't realize you had made such progress.  Awesome!

I just hope you can get it done quicker than my 1/24 Mosquito!

Perhaps when you finish this beast, you can fly over and visit me in it.....LOL

Edited by Anthony in NZ

4 hours ago, Alburymodeler said:

I am not sure that the creases running back from the bomb aimers windows on the side, extend that far back. They seem to go about half way to the transport joint. But pretty awesome undertaking otherwise. 

Transport joint?

5 hours ago, fastterry said:

First a Shackleton and now a Lincoln, what next? Still this would look nice with medium speed silver, an A73- serial number and red rat roundels. I'll be following with interest.

TRF

I’ll be building this in the grey over black scheme with massive white fuselage codes but as I do have extra nose halves I’m toying with an RAAF mk.31 forward fuselage as well.

thanks folks :-)