My first double build - Calling them DONE - Pic’s in RFI

Stokey Pete

Managed to get paint on the underside of the Aggressor during the last couple of days, help in getting over the disappointment of the peeling paint on ‘Zeus’. 

50015679013_0691914957_b.jpg

Again there are a few minor touch ups where masking hasn’t quite stayed burnished down, along with a few very small peeled spots that will easily pass as newly painted panels when the weathering process gets going. 

Minor progress being made.

Glossed, washed, and a few decals started, after spending countless hours masking up the individual colours to sharpen the lines and cover up over sprays. I must have gone through 3 rolls of tape to get a result I’m happy with. 
‘Zeus’ is still waiting for his touch ups at the moment. My mind has kind of switched from double build to ‘finish the paint job on this one first’.

50043732501_22fb23b49a_b.jpg

The joys of painting hey!?

I can feel your pain, I’m sure many of us can. I had it happen with Testors Model Master acrylics once to often (3 events in total) and threw away 30 bottles of the stuff, partly out of anger mostly to maintain sanity in the future by removing the temptation to try using it again. 
This work is looking good though!

This project was supposed to be the start of me building a little quicker, being used to working on multiple kits, and from my very patients wife’s perspective.....thinning the stash. 
I’m beginning to wonder if there’s some model kit after hours reproduction going on, I’ve built two and gained 3 more kits to the pile. With a Viggen to come towards the end of the year too, I’ve gained double over what I’ve built :frantic::BANGHEAD2::lol:

50051154126_2a6c01c856_b.jpg

The ‘Flanker’, F-15E, and Harrier are the magically appearing kits. 

ha ha ha reminds me of a boss I had once. When I asked if I could clean out some old files etc. he said sure. But before you throw anything away make 2 copies of it.

Covid lockdown has been very hard on my stash, I'm not buying due to loss of income but building like mad because I'm in locked down with no income...

so now you need all the resin, decals and PE. upgrades for those new kits right? 

6 minutes ago, chrish said:

ha ha ha reminds me of a boss I had once. When I asked if I could clean out some old files etc. he said sure. But before you throw anything away make 2 copies of it.

Covid lockdown has been very hard on my stash, I'm not buying due to loss of income but building like mad because I'm in locked down with no income...

so now you need all the resin, decals and PE. upgrades for those new kits right? 

Don’t let my missus see that suggestion :).

The Harrier and Eagle have been purchased from another LSP’er and have lots of extras. 
The Flanker is a whole other story, I’m on the lookout for all the goodies. 

I’m calling the aggressor just about done, save for a few antenna to attach, and the loadout which will be finished at the same time as ‘Zeus’.

I’m still to figure out how I’m gonna mount and display them, but that’s for another day. 
For now, I’m gonna pull ‘Zeus’ back down from the shelf and get the paintwork finished there. 

50057455158_f0b15318fd_b.jpg

Edited by Stokey Pete

50061722092_f161640d24_b.jpg

I put the new H&S airbrush through it’s paces using the 1.5mm nozzle combo’. 
With a little patience, re-use of the masks to sharpen a few edges up, and a steady hand, I’ve gone from the peeled mess that was...

50004074181_3864b64d4b_b.jpg

To where I’m at in the top photo, a world of difference which makes me mucho happy. No threat of stripping to

plastic.

The gaps where then CFTs meet the fuselage will have a tiny bead of filler to make It look like the rubber seal. I’m now waiting on some oramask 810 sheet to create a set of masks for the blue sections of the flag so I’m able to tighten up the white parts and cover overspray. 

Another fairly small update today.

Made a start on the underside of ‘Zeus’ while I wait some masking frisket to be delivered. They’re from a Hellenic AF colour set by Hataka. These are the lacquer based paint and spray beautifully if thinned correctly (50%-50% paint- tamiya lacquer thinners). Now, the colours look a little stark at the moment. From what image research I’ve done, the Greek jets look filthy beyond recognition, so my paint job won’t stay that virginal. I’ll spray some fresh panels and touch up areas after the filth has been applied. 

50073301876_e144628991_b.jpg

While all that dries, I’ve started building the load outs for both a/c.

The two ‘Smokewinders’ have been created by simply stripping a pair or kit AIM-9’s of their detail, as well as reshaping the nose and fins. 

50073340026_43177fe5d8_b.jpg

The load for the Aggressor bird is unusual, and copied from this image.

49834068008_9ceca01db9_c.jpg

Edited by Stokey Pete