My first double build - Calling them DONE - Pic’s in RFI

Stokey Pete

After a bit of a mammoth deciphering and masking session, I’ve come to an end of the first part of this epic paint job. 
I have to say, the masking instructions are atrocious. They’re confusing, the masks are numbered incorrectly in many places, leaving you to either guess or make up your own positioning. It would have been simpler to just have separated diagrams for the various colour sections of the masking, just the white, just the blue, just the black, on individual pages. So before I commit to paint, I’ve got it as close to the pictures as I can, given what there is to work with. The correct number of white and blue stripes will be seen. 
Here’s where I’m at...

49974551666_203f8c866f_b.jpg

49974069983_09535677c7_b.jpg

I’m not 100% happy with the overall finished masking (maybe 90-95%), but short of spending money to replace them, or attempting it freehand with tape, I can live with it. It looks reasonably close to what the diagrams and reference photos show. I shall be suggesting to the manufacturers that they revisit their instructions and numbering system. 

I’ve got a few touch ups to make with the white where blue has bled under the masks, but how good does this look? 
I’m absolutely stoked by how smart it’s turned out. 
I used Gunze Aqueous H25 Sky Blue, for highlights I added a drop of white, for the shadows I added a drop of black. I think it’s created a quite realistic and subtle rippling effect. 

49976065438_24c0e77f57_b.jpg

What d’ya think? 

50 minutes ago, Crew Dog said:

Wow, that HAF demo flag looks amazing so far, even if it's on a lawn dart! Can't wait to see the Eielson scheme done!

I’m making a start on that now that I have both paint and masks.

It gives me work to do in between paint sessions on the other one. I can go back and forth as I progress. 

While the paint cures on ‘Zeus’, I thought I’d wheel the other jet into the corrosion control centre. 
This has had a thinned coat of Vallejo white over an alcohol wiped surface. Followed up with Vallejo Model Air ‘Pinkish White’  which has had some shading and highlights applied before masking. 
Next up comes a coat of very slightly lightened ‘NATO Black’ which will allow me to panel

shade and highlight again. 

49987939593_46c42065f2_b.jpg

After many hours of careful study, placement, swearing profusely, and replacement, I finally managed to get some work done on this bad boy. 
 This is freshly peeled, there’s a few minor touch ups required, paint bleeds etc, but damn! I reckon this turned out pretty spectacular too. 

49993275902_2b1e183047_b.jpg

49992507243_20a0c4b116_b.jpg

Now all I gotta do is repeat the whole process for the underside :frantic:

First major disappointment happened this morning. I painted the feathers on the spine and CFT tanks last night, and filled in the blank areas with black in preparation for the decals. 

50003553068_05d100bcc0_b.jpg

Was all excited this morning to peel and reveal the artwork underneath as well as get an overview of where I’m at for the upper surface finish. 

50003553088_1a3c23424f_b.jpg

Not too bad you might think, looks impressive from this angle. 3 layers of coloured feathers, cool as a cucumber one would think. 
On the contrary........

50004074181_3864b64d4b_b.jpg

I’ve lost a few small patches of paint, right down to the primer. Head scratching moment as I know I followed the same cure times and masking procedures for the flag painting, yet this time, I have peeling paint.

At this point, I’m loathe to strip it and start from scratch unless I REALLY have to. So I’m going to attempt touch ups. I can recall the mixes for the varying shades, I may even embellish the feathers with some highlights and shadows to make them look more realistic. 
First plan of attack is to get me a gloss coat on to protect whats there and enable me to remove mistakes with no damage to the underlying paintwork. 

For now though, it’s back to the aggressor jet. 

To close today’s saga with a positive ending. As a result of my woes, and to make the touch ups that much more straightforward, my daughter has just purchased (with wife help) a H&S Infinity CR Plus brush, with 0.15mm nozzle for that close in detail work. An early and very welcome Fathers Day gift. 
Feeling all warm n fuzzy now.

Paint pulled from masking happened to me on the feathers surprisingly....

Inhad to strip everything except flag

If you have seen on my video I had the same issues with masking and instructions

The masks are made for the academy kit not tamiya 

59 minutes ago, periklis_sale said:

Paint pulled from masking happened to me on the feathers surprisingly....

Inhad to strip everything except flag

If you have seen on my video I had the same issues with masking and instructions

The masks are made for the academy kit not tamiya 

I’ve used your videos as my bible during this paint job. I knew if it came out close enough to your result, I’d be happy enough.