E E Lightning F1A: the therapy build

mozart

Some of you will know that I'm building an Echelon Vacform Lightning F6 in the Cold War GB and that I'm also a "fan" of 56 Squadron and its aircraft.  Known as the Firebirds, the Pheonix rising from the flames, their red and white chequerboard insignia is very attractive.  After the Black Arrows, flying Hunters, had finished their stint as the RAF display team, it fell to 56 Squadron's Lightnings to take over the mantle, this in the days of the Lightning F1 and 1As.

Sadly by the time the squadron were flying the F6s the aircraft livery was a little more conservative, but I was keen to build a Lightning showing one of the display team colours.  

WMmSzc.jpg

P5IGTb.jpg

aa5GSa.jpg

xVKvts.png

Airfix do a 1/48th scale Lightning in these colours so (Lothar to the rescue once again!) this is it!  Whilst I'm enjoying the vac form build enormously, it is a bit trying on the patience with re-scribing right now, so I'm spending some therapeutic time today on what I intend to be an OOB straightforward build! 

w7Uwfj.jpg

Fl5CiZ.jpg

Comparison of sizes, 1/32 v 1/48!

OLqHFg.jpg

6 hours ago, Dragon said:

I’ve been watching your LSP build, and it piqued my interest in this aircraft. I’m planning to pick up one of these Airfix kits, so I’ll be watching this build closely. 

Mike

I’ll be posting a few more pictures later Mike of yesterday’s work.  It’s a very simple kit, the wheel wells for instance are completely empty so lots of room for detailing if that’s your thing. The wings could easily have been just an upper and lower half, but Airfix have given the modeller something to do by making each one comprise 5 pieces.  Great fun! :)

16 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Can't wait to see your progress Max - and don't get me tempted :whistle:

Lothar

btw: should you need spare decals, I have loads of them for your squadron.

My track record isn’t good with decals Lothar so I may be knocking on your door! :unsure:

The wings!!

QVsjmu.jpg

ZBTbUX.jpg

The fit of the parts is pretty good, a little warp on one lower wing along the front edge made fitting the leading edge slat slightly tricky but nothing at all serious.  I was looking on eBay this morning, I see there are all sorts of AM bits and pieces available including well wheel upgrades, but mine will stay as is.

The cockpit is basic as well, I'll add some lead foil generic-type seat belts and do a little detailing and dry brushing to bring a bit more life into it:

jMZyZr.jpg

PGBBGJ.jpg

Bucketing down outside so plenty of modelling today!! :)

Thanks for your interest and support fellas, it's always very much appreciated.  Quite a bit of progress in between the heavy showers today.  The odd shaped bullet and air intake thing:

HBD0Jo.jpg

zWCoYF.jpg

I've tarted up the seat a little:

RVqTjv.jpg

r0oOTt.jpg

And made a start on the exhausts:

Sp6dMR.jpg

t6IFgJ.jpg

Fuselage could be closed up tomorrow!

I’m enjoying the simplicity and ease of this build in 1/48th but it’s also making me understand why I love modelling in 1/32 so much......the smaller scale just doesn’t quite deliver for me like it used to. 

Edited by mozart

Nice, Max!

I also chose Airfix's EE Lightning for my return to aircraft modeling. A very good kit. I was astonished to see how the hobby had progressed and that was 8 years ago!

A smaller scale doesn't necessarily make things easier as nowadays modellers expect to get the same amount of details as in larger scale.

It depends on how far your vision can be stretched :coolio: