With a partial lockdown lift and Kiwi's back to work (Congrats!) WNW

phasephantomphixer

23 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

How is the guy in charge saying in so many words that staff has been made redundant (“fired” in English) and the company is shutting down “speculation”?  I don’t get it.  Are you waiting for Sir Peter to knock on your door to deliver the news to you in person?

Fired and redundant are two different things. WNW Staff were not "Fired" they were made redundant.

23 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

Im intrigued what is going on.

TVAL are still operational with quite a few staff laid off.

Weta are going fine.

So its certainly not him running out of cash or they would both be fully shut down.

2 weeks later still nothing on the website other than what we know ie many staff laid off.

Hibernation?

Who knows..

If it was shut down it needed to be done in accordance with NZ company law which it has not.
Lots of questions but it seems PJ aint saying.

Weta Workshop, Weta Digital and Wingnut are related but they are ran as separate companies. Wingnut & TVAL is outright PJ, but the Weta's are owned by different people with PJ having a share. Nothing official is going to be stated from the company as they do not want bad press regarding a PJ company. This was posted on the WNW Fan Page on Facebook by another member and it sums it quite well -

My thoughts on whats going on with the mixed messages on their website announcements
Fact: Staff have been made redundant WNW as we (the modellers) know it is gone.
Opinion: Peter Jackson and whoever else owns the entity doesn't want it to go broke to the point of receivers or liquidators. Why? that damages the PJ brand (forget WNW hardly anyone knows what that is or who owns it). A PJ company in liquidation would be news picked up by the press and reflects poorly on him personally. So they stop the rot by letting staff go, keep the website up, halt sales, and hope to sell to an investor as a going concern which avoids the negative press and no ones the wiser. Just that the pool of investors for a model-making company (that was obviously losing money) ain't that big. Good luck I guess.

11 hours ago, CANicoll said:

FWIW our local suppler (he's a distributor for Stevens's International) put out an email this morning saying he heard "directly from WNW that they are resuming operations and will begin shipping 'soon'".  I've asked him what his source is for this as I've not seen anything from anyone saying the same thing - and that would be big news in the hobby so not likely to stay on the down low.  I kind of doubt that he's been in directly contact with NZ but will let you know when he responds...

I am not sure where he is hearing that from.. All staff have been redundant.. Yes they may open the web store again for sales, but I don't know who is going to be doing the fulfillment of orders as that person is gone. Who ever it will be, will be an outsider that knows nothing about the company, where the stock is located and how the order systems work etc...

Edited by Dave J

Good calls Dave J. WNW did originally say they were sending previous orders up until recently, so maybe  that’s what the local hobby guy is talking about? If everyone associated with the warehouse gets called back to move the stock and later take new orders then they’re back for a while longer. That’s ‘if’

Edited by Pup7309

20 hours ago, RLWP said:

A group of herps

Richard

19 hours ago, Ryan said:

If you don';t know that is a good thing.

18 hours ago, lawman56 said:

Isn't it a Greek mythological creature? :hmmm:

17 hours ago, Chek said:

I knew I could count on you guys

sYTmL0T.jpg?1

;)

Dave- Great summation of the situation. I never thought WNW was financially shaky but thinking about it perhaps- might explain the constant delays of the Lancaster and 0/400 and the rash of limited plain box reissues in their last few months(to raise capital?).

I really doubt PJ will just unload the molds and grab some cash. The company was his and all the work and love put into it by his great staff...I just don't see him washing his hands of it.

6 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

So, this is a new WNW thread with absolutely no new information about what’s actually going on with WNW?

Yes.

This seems the natural ending point to all of these threads and why the staff has been a bit sensitive about these threads getting continually dredged up, over and over, with new ones seemingly starting every so often.

We will no nothing factual until there is an official company statement.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:08 AM, Ryan said:

Interesting and a bit of what the definition of "is" is. :)

Resume operations to sell of remaining stock or.......

OK. Thanks, Bill.