SH Tempest Mk V "Kicked Up A Notch". January 14/21 New eBook!

chuck540z3

Chuck - Really great stuff.  The pit looks awesome and your riveting/scribing is sublime.  My eyes hurt just following the riveting/scribing.  :)

Here is comparison of Barracuda Nose replacement side by side with the SH kit nose.  You can see the work Anthony in NZ, et.al did to improve the nose of this really nice kit.  If this is post inappropriate, my apologizes, feel free to have this removed. 

Barracuda_SHNose.04.jpg

Barracuda_SHNose.03.jpg

Barracuda_SHNose.01.jpg

58 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Thanks Rick, so it's mainly the spinner shape and the radiator opening on the kit is noticeably too large.

Did I miss something ?

Correct on the kit spinner shape being too big and "bulbous" and radiator opening too large.  Additionally, the kit prop blades are too "thick".

Thank you Gents!

4 hours ago, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

Hi Chuck,

Can I ask what you use for glue as your build is very clean. I seam to get glue in all the wrong places. PS great build by the way.

Most of the time when I can hide the glue under plastic or paint like these landing gear parts, regular Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, which also comes in a fast drying version I use only occasionally.  I usually like the fact that the glue takes a bit of time to set, allowing me to move parts around a bit as they dry.  Sometimes not.  The key to this glue is to use capillary action whenever you can, allowing glue to get under parts without brush strokes.

For most glue that might be exposed like after painting, I use a lot of CA glue, including for the filling gaps.  I hardly use putty any more, because I like the speed of CA glue drying, allowing me to sand it almost right away.  So far, this model has no putty at all.

Cheers,

Chuck

On 8/16/2020 at 5:53 PM, chuck540z3 said:

Here I have a pin scriber at the top to create curves, followed by a needle in a pin vice for rivet depressions, a Mega Tool to restore Dzus fasteners, 

Cheers,

Chuck

How about a closer look at this Dzus fastener tool and perhaps tell and show us how to use it?

Tim

5 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

How about a closer look at this Dzus fastener tool and perhaps tell and show us how to use it?

Tim

This is called a "Mega Tool" that every modeler should have in their arsenal.  It's a punch of sorts, with several different sizes of small circles to either create or enhance rivets and Dzus fasteners.  The key to application is to carefully set the punch to the area you want to apply a fastener, then push down and rotate, allowing the outside sharp edges to cut into the plastic.

I bought mine from my favorite modeling supply store, UMM-USA, owned and run by one of the best modelers in the world and a true gentlemen, Jon Vojtech.  It's even On Sale, so I'd order one right away

Mega Tool

JOfLJO.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck