SH Tempest Mk V "Kicked Up A Notch". January 14/21 New eBook!

chuck540z3

The sponge and liquid mask technique looks like one I need to try!  I am also finally going to take the plunge on trying MRP paints, and your endorsement is just making me more excited about that.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of these techniques.  If you have time to take a couple closeup photos of the effect that the metal liner washes achieve, that would be most appreciated.

Wow....  that wash really changes everything.   Very nice.   The only downside (from my perspective) is that to look the best, it needs to be applied to models with recessed rivets, like yours.   For kits with raised rivets, I would assume it would be of limited usefulness?

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of these techniques.  If you have time to take a couple closeup photos of the effect that the metal liner washes achieve, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks and sure.  As mentioned above, photographing this model is hard to do due to the shine which is very reflective, especially on curved surfaces like the fuselage.  Here are two of the right wing from different angles that show the chipping, metallic wash and the residual brown staining of that wash, which is a good starting point for further weathering.

PN9163.jpg

im9uns.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

4 minutes ago, John1 said:

Wow....  that wash really changes everything.   Very nice.   The only downside (from my perspective) is that to look the best, it needs to be applied to models with recessed rivets, like yours.   For kits with raised rivets, I would assume it would be of limited usefulness?

While not as pronounced, I think it would still add something to raised rivets, giving them a bit of a metallic sheen, as shown again on the sides of the Spitfire.

UWLkY3.jpg

On my Spitfire I used Tamiya Silver pastels to try and get this look.

QvYY1q.jpg

And it worked OK, but this Metaliner wash is much better.

3FfTsG.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

5 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Thanks and sure.  As mentioned above, photographing this model is hard to do due to the shine which is very reflective, especially on curved surfaces like the fuselage.  Here are two of the right wing from different angles that show the chipping, metallic wash and the residual brown staining of that wash, which is a good starting point for further weathering.

PN9163.jpg

im9uns.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck - it looks great.  I'm thinking these will also be very useful on a late-war badly chipped IJAAF machine - photos of these often show paint being lost starting with rivets and panel edges, so having and easy way of making those metallic will be a great help.

Coming along magnificently Chuck! Those metallic washes look the biz, I've tried to achieve the same effect with aluminium enamels but it just leaves sparkly residue all over the surface like the model's on its way to a 70's disco.

If you want to try and achieve that chipping pattern along structural and rivet lines shown in your picture of the museum Spitfire, I've found this can be most effectively done using a silver pencil (first image) or hairspray if there is sufficient surface detail for your brush to grab onto (second image).

chipping_a_web.jpg

wings-chipped-zoom-web.jpg

Keep up the good work, loving it!

Thanks for the feedback guys and the chipping and weathering tips.  Having said that, I just started!  You haven't seen anything yet!  As you all know, good weathering is made up of many thin stages and I'm only on Stage 1.

Three things come to mind:

1.  No chipping will look good or realistic with a glossy finish.  I need a flat coat and I'm a long way away from that right now.

2.  No chipping will look good or realistic without further weathering.  Chipped up birds are almost always dirty.

3.  Chipping and weathering is an art and like all art, what I do won't always appeal to everyone.  I don't like the plaid look of heavily pre-shaded panel lines and although I do like the look of a dark wash in panel lines and rivets (like my in-progress shots), they don't look realistic to me in all cases, like this Tempest.  For some aircraft like my F-4E I built 8 years ago, a bit of a dark wash worked and this is a good indication of where this Tempest is headed with salt weathering.

CnsV8e.jpg

More salt weathering, but this time on a dull metallic finish.

Ikcc4T.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck