SH Tempest Mk V "Kicked Up A Notch". January 14/21 New eBook!

chuck540z3

On 10/2/2020 at 7:44 AM, scimitarf1 said:

The top is definitely flat.

Hurricane is the same ...

WntHhra.jpg

5 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Drill a small hole into the back of the clear part, then place red or green paint inside as colored bulbs

I've done it that way too but after the clear red or green, I stick some silver behind it.

Gives it a reflective look.

Looking great so far  :speak_cool::popcorn:

Edited by MikeMaben

Hi Chuck

Love the work on the lights. I do almost the same process, just did the 1/48 hasegawa f-14 wing light.

I do 1 extra step from the ones you mentionned, once ive put the clear red or green, i also paint the entire rear with chrome to simulate the reflector behind the lens. Then i CA ect like you mentioned. 

Let me know what you think of thid.

Great work as usual Chuck!

Can't wait for the next update

Cheers

Just notice after posting MikeMaben mentionned the same thing

Edited by Neo

• chuck540z3 changed the title to SH Tempest Mk V "Kicked Up A Notch". October 4: Lights!

Thanks for the tip on the chrome or silver background guys, which I will try next time.  I had used clear red and green first, but then removed it because it didn't show up well enough, but the silver background might have helped with that.  My goal was to make the color of each light obvious, like the pics below, so I used a solid red and green paint instead.  Note that each light is tucked into the very corner, which I couldn't do with a tiny drill (#80 followed by #64), so I drilled them outwards a bit instead. I did this with these tiny parts cleaned up off the sprue, so it was tricky to drill them and not lose them to the carpet monster!

I just noticed the additional fastener detail around each light.  Consider that done as well!

Z96vWu.jpg

SKf3ob.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

7 hours ago, Miloslav1956 said:

Beautiful work, inspired me to finish 17th Tempest. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 

Miloslav.  I have admired your work on your previous models of this kit and was wondering what you did about the wing dihedral issue?  Any other tips to share?

Thanks,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

October 16/20

I have found a few more edits you should do (or not do) to this build.  With so many versions of Typhoons and Tempests, Special Hobby has many parts that are common to most of them, but the instructions have missed some important items as shown before.  After doing the left wingtip light, I was wondering what went into the little hole in the wing next to it?  It turns out, nothing!, so this hole should be filled.  I’ve found a few pics of Mk II Tempests with a pitot tube here, so this is likely why the wing has it?

xahF4x.jpg

Steps 31 and 32 are the components of the tail assembly. 

wNWKWG.jpg

VWMdXB.jpg

As with the rest of the model, I carefully sanded everything smooth and restored all of the detail to make it sharp.

NeQOzN.jpg

Installation was tricky, because the horizontal stabilizers did not fit very well, so I had to sand and fill the connecting seam and rescribe it.  Meanwhile, the rudder does not fit into the core of central stabilizer, so to glue it I used extra thick CA glue to act as a gap filler and glue at the same time.

PZqUqa.jpg

I quite like the rudder detail that has realistic looking raised ribs with subtle fastener detail beneath as it should be.  I spent a long time on my Kitty Hawk Harvard build correcting this feature.

iC0TPD.jpg

uTbww9.jpg

And to show there's no cheating on the bottom.

Igz0Wr.jpg

Most of Step 33 has been done already, but the canopy rails (I38, top right) need to be installed.

Mivr5H.jpg

Followed by Step 34, where the rear canopy mechanism Part E14 is glued in place, on top of the canopy rails.

EhP1Yj.jpg

Now a complete surprise and disappointment!  I spent a lot of time painting that little tank on Part J6 behind the seat, assuming you could see it from the front but not the back.

r39TRD.jpg

As it turns out, you shouldn’t bother painting it at all!

m7NqX0.jpg

Because when you install Part E-14, it completely covers the tank and everything behind the seat! 
Very weird!  Another part made for another aircraft, but the instructions have not been updated?  Before I glued in the canopy rails, I painted them aluminum for ease of painting later.

Rb143v.jpg

Part E-14 does not fit well at all and I had to make multiple modifications to it, including lowering the seat braces that should touch the top of the seat back and not extend over it.  After at least 30 times sanding and trimming, it fits OK now.

NyVUX5.jpg

Much of this detail is partially obstructed from view by the canopy, but you can still see it.  The Canopy fits very tight, so make sure you glue the rails in strongly or they will pull off the cockpit sills.

seRTvg.jpg

The seam line at the back of Part E14 does not exist, so it should be filled and panel lines re-scribed.

yjOlhX.jpg

With the tail and canopy bits glued in, it's now time to start painting while I assemble other bits like the landing gear and the prop.

k4DLZp.jpg

At this stage of a build I feel like taking the model and running around the living room making airplane noises like I did when I was a kid!  At 66 years old, my wife would not be impressed, so I’ll just pretend I did it.   ^_^

HieQCV.jpg

Thanks for looking in.  I’m on the homestretch now, which is kind of exciting and sad at the same time.  I’m already looking at candidates for my next project.  Maybe a Wingnut Wings Biplane?  Although I’m not a Biplane guy, I just bought 3 kits before they are all gone, just in case I change my mind.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• chuck540z3 changed the title to SH Tempest Mk V "Kicked Up A Notch". October 17: Tail Assembly
18 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

This is outstanding!!! Looking forward to the paintjob, kinda hoping you make a frontline, that is very weathered, Tempest.

Enjoy your updates a lot!!

Rick

You betcha Rick!  After 2 pristine models in a row (Harvard, F-5E), it's time to get down and dirty again.  I will be using the well known salt weathering technique and sponged liquid mask on an aluminum background for chipping.  Here is my last model of an F-4E where I used it for reference.  Lots of additional and enhanced riveting here too.

nnL0Lv.jpg

yNZJq4.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

i literally come over all funny when I tune in to your build threads Chuck...

such precision and such a can do approach that makes any kit a canvas for a show winner

wonderful to see :)

also PM'd you a pic of something that may be of interest from my Sea fury build which shares some common bits around the canopy. I don't like to litter others threads with something that is not the OPs build lol

Peter