SH Tempest Mk V "Kicked Up A Notch". January 14/21 New eBook!

chuck540z3

On 11/22/2020 at 8:11 AM, skydivin said:

Each of your builds out does the previous... What an outstanding build narrative this round. 

I think you have single handily increased sales on all the tools, glues, films, paints, etc. that you show.  I know I have increased my warehouse of tools after following your builds.  These companies should provide you a commission :rolleyes:

Thank you for always taking time to explain steps (sometimes several times), taking pictures, and keeping all of us involved.

I stand by my original thought several builds back.  We need the Model Tips by Chuck book....

Blessings to you and your family.

Loyal follower - Rod

Thank you everyone!  It is very kind comments like these from Rod above that make it all worthwhile.  I'm finding that due to the pandemic and working from home, I have more time for modeling and more time for explaining how I do certain things, which has been a very welcome distraction from the pandemic.  We are all so lucky to have this hobby which lends itself to remaining in our homes to help keep us safe and as sane as possible.

Model on boys!

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Another great build log comes to an end!  As usual, this one was packed with great, model-specific information and guidance.  I'm sure it will be bookmarked and referenced by anyone else having a go at Special Hobby's Tempest kits.

I'm noticing an interesting halo effect around the aircraft in the latter pics.  Looks like post-processing-related.  Probably intentional but I wanted to point that out.

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

I'm noticing an interesting halo effect around the aircraft in the latter pics.  Looks like post-processing-related.  Probably intentional but I wanted to point that out.

That's a rather ugly side-effect of shooting in HDR, unfortunately. It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of HDR myself.

Kev

Thanks Guys!

3 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Another great build log comes to an end!  As usual, this one was packed with great, model-specific information and guidance.  I'm sure it will be bookmarked and referenced by anyone else having a go at Special Hobby's Tempest kits.

Thanks John!

Kevin has correctly identified that some of this to HDR (High Dynamic Range) lighting, which I use all the time.  The reason I like it is that for close-ups and strong lighting, the camera smooths out the high lighting contrasts to create a more balanced photo of my subject.  My Nikon camera effectively takes a picture that's exposed properly for very bright areas, takes another that's exposed properly for the dark areas, then stitches them together into one photo- all on a timer and tri-pod to avoid camera shake.  When I'm taking all of my pics of In Progress shots against a strong blue background, the lighting contrasts are not that big, so when I adjust my photos for lighting afterwards, the halo effect is usually not that pronounced, if at all.  On this very light background, however, I have big lighting contrasts, so as I correct and tweak the lighting of my model, the background sort of blows up creating the halo, which I can also use to my advantage to eliminate background noise like folds in the fabric and the edges of my light box.  For a diorama this would not be very good for obvious reasons.  My goal in these photographs is to show the model and only the model, so I really don't care about halos and other artifacts of HDR.  As a matter of fact, I think they look kind of neat, like this pic, which makes the edges of the model really sharp.

vVqq5K.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Unbelievable Chuck, you just pump out masterpiece after masterpiece! 
I remember when you started this build, because I was starting a build at the same time, and I’m still at the start, and you’re done with yet another show stopper! 
Granted I’ve actually started 3 different kits, :BANGHEAD2: and I really need to settle  on one, so I can finish, but congrats on your awesome Tempest! :clap2: