SH Tempest Mk V "Kicked Up A Notch". January 14/21 New eBook!

chuck540z3

Thanks everyone!  I wasn't sure how just sanding and re-riveting would be received, because it's kind of boring and time consuming, but to me it's critical to a good finish at the (hopefully) happy ending.

6 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Superb work at recreating that detail. Regarding the wings, do you need to fit a wingspar? The dihedral of the centresection is dead flat and the PCM-kit was a bit wobbly in that respect and I had to fit a plastic spar.

Keep it up

Cees

Thanks for the heads-up Cees.  Right now the center section is pretty flat with the wings tipped up fairly sharply at about the landing gear, but there's always a bit of wiggle room in the middle that can mess that up.  I'll be sure to keep my eye on that when I glue the wings to the fuselage.

Cheers,

Chuck

As a fellow modeler currently punching out thousands of tiny rivets for my three 1/32 Su-27s, one tool I can you makes a WORLD of difference is to have a good lamp with a movable magnifying glass attached to the base so you can adjust the positioning depending on the task.  It makes riveting much easier, sadly it doesn't solve the tedious part :-).

Dan

2 hours ago, dsahling1 said:

As a fellow modeler currently punching out thousands of tiny rivets for my three 1/32 Su-27s, one tool I can you makes a WORLD of difference is to have a good lamp with a movable magnifying glass attached to the base so you can adjust the positioning depending on the task.  It makes riveting much easier, sadly it doesn't solve the tedious part :-).

Dan

You mean like this on the right?  I use it (and magnifying glasses) all the time.

6CG0Mf.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Yes, the one that I use is a little different, it has the light separate, but the overall purpose is the same, i don't know how i would handle some of the detail, scribing, and rivets without it.  Isn't riveting fun?  Not tedious, especially with 3 planes, especially with 3 planes, especially with 3 planes :-)

Keep up the good work!

Dan

7 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

If you don't already have this Chuck ...

tempest5front.gif

hth

Yes it does help Mike, thank you!  While the wing dihedral is not a surprise, the wheel alignment is.  Note the slight outward angle of the bottom of the tires. I will try and replicate that, if the kit and resin parts don't do that already.  This is also a clear risk at a model contest.  If judges don't realize that this angle is real and not a building flaw, it will receive a deduction for sure!  Good thing I don't enter model contests anymore, so no worries there.

I wonder why this is labeled a Sea Fury FB 11?  All the pics I can find of this aircraft have the Tempest Mk II nose and not the Mk V in the drawing.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3