SH Tempest Mk V "Kicked Up A Notch". January 14/21 New eBook!

chuck540z3

How did you get a blue back drop big enough to put behind the real aircraft?!

Awesome paint and weathering, with step by step instructions, thanks Chuck.

I’ve noticed that you haven’t used primer on your models for some time now Chuck, one question on that.
Have you had any issues with the paint being sprayed on the kit coming out in slightly different shades over plastic to resin parts? For  example, a replacement resin intake set that also replaces the fuselage sections around the intake?

3 minutes ago, Squizzy said:

I’ve noticed that you haven’t used primer on your models for some time now Chuck, one question on that.

Have you had any issues with the paint being sprayed on the kit coming out in slightly different shades over plastic to resin parts? For  example, a replacement resin intake set that also replaces the fuselage sections around the intake?

Thank you sir.  While I don't use a true primer, the gloss black I used as a base for the Alclad aluminum substitutes as one, which covers all plastic and resin as one dark shade.  Recall, I started out with this, which is a pretty big contrast in base colors.

k4DLZp.jpg

The reason I don't use primers like Mr. Sufacer, etc., is that if the plastic is smooth enough, I don't need any more paint getting into fine detail like rivets.  To me, if the model needs a primer to fill fine scratches and other flaws, you aren't doing it right.  Get out the fine sandpaper and fix them!  :P  Also, when I use enamels and lacquers, including this new MRP paint, adhesion to plastic and resin is never an issue.  I put a lot of masking tape on this model and other than a few small areas where I had applied hairspray, I had no lifting of paint.

Cheers,

Chuck

Boy Chuck, you're really making it hard on the next guy that wants to build a half decent Tempest! Superb work and along with your other builds will add up to an encyclopedia of how to build museum quality plastic kits. The salt fading demo is worth the price of admission alone.

TRF 

Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments!

40 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

A really Big Show going on here Chuck.  The salt effect turned out marvelous.   Thanks for sharing your fine examples with us.  What’s next after the Tempest concludes?   

Thanks Troy.

Probably the Italeri CF-104, which checks off these boxes.

1. Jet.  I've done 2 props in a row and it's time for some kerosene.
  2. I've never built one before
  3. Lots of aftermarket available
  4. I can order everything online
  5. I think I can have fun with the bare metal finish
  6. There is one in our local museum for references
  7. It's Canadian, eh?

eE0UuG.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

November 18/20

Short Update- as I play around with weathering, including the exhaust and propeller.

Here are some pics of Pierre Clostermann’s Tempest and one other I stole from the ‘net.  Note how the exhaust pattern is not behind the exhausts, but in an arc pattern above them due to airflow, then swinging down just under the bottom of the kill score sheet.  It’s fairly dark too.

CUKl4o.jpg

jipXuM.jpg

4GirOU.jpg

Ebbqn1.jpg

And here's a good pic of the front of the propeller, showing wear and chipping on the gloss black spinner.

J31bht.jpg

So I tried to do something similar, and while I was at it, I spent an hour going over all the paint work with my airbrush, delicately spraying both light and dark highlights, similar to the Spitfire pics I’ve shown above.  I think it looks a lot better now.

Here’s a quick walkaround of just about everything.  I also re-painted the bottom, but I’ll show that some other time after I have attached the landing gear.  While you can see the chipping on the spinner, the prop blades didn't photograph very well, so you'll just have to take my word for it, that they are weathered as well.

BmF1cg.jpg

rGmWSR.jpg

dXPq8c.jpg

pAqK4b.jpg

Y3O3Jf.jpg

pWb7PO.jpg

Lot's of subtle weathering here and there to come, like the exhaust stacks and the gun barrels. 

Cheers,

Chuck

• chuck540z3 changed the title to SH Tempest Mk V "Kicked Up A Notch". November 18: Prop and Exhaust Stain

very eye catching

re the exhaust stains, i have noticed in addition to the arc you describe, that there are sometimes stains in pretty much a straight line further back on the fuselage, aft of the cockpit and stretching almost the to Sky band

these aren't there on every airframe, and am not that familiar with PC's bird, but let me know if you want pointers to a pic or two