crobinsonh

Regarding KD431,

She's an awesome exhibit because she's never been "restored" and shows what an in-service Corsair actually looked like.   Someone did a book on her, that detailed all the nuances of her paint scheme and weathering.  I looked for it when I was doing my F4U-1D build but it was only available on E-bay and was frightfully expensive. 

Good luck with your build, please post pictures!! 

Have patience regarding ‘The time capsule fighter’ - after failing to get one from the FAA Museum, I stalked it on eBay for a while and eventually one showed up at what I regarded as a reasonable (would have probably been under £30) price, which I snaffled.

Me too... paid $33 including shipping.  Could've gotten it a buck or so cheaper but would've had to wait until the end of May for delivery...  All these free shipping shops use media mail so it's slooowww.

Jennings, I think you were correct in your first assumption that this aircraft is based on the FG-1A.  Note there's no bomb/drop tank plyons; a clear indicator of the -1D series.  This is a Corsair IV but that only means it was made by Goodyear according to Dana Bell's, F4U-1 Corsair Vol. 2 (pgs 2, 3). The gloss sea blue  color is not indicative of the -1D series from Goodyear.  According to Dana Bell, that change occurred at FG-1A construction number 1288, bureau number 14279 (page 6).  That prop is the original prop for the F4U-1 series, not the later one, or as you referred to it, the "combat prop".  According to what I'm understanding from Dana Bell's, F4U-1 Corsair Vol. 2 book, the FG-1D didn't appear until after this guy was built.  I may be misinterpreting what I'm reading though as I can't find a definitive construction number for the first FG-1D unless I'm overlooking it.  The Goodyear production/bureau number/FAA numbers are on page 6.

s3V8Jy6.jpg

Edited by Juggernut
Corrected reference cite

Book has been reprinted, I picked a copy up from the museum at Yeovilton a few months ago. It is written by the museums curator, Dave Morris.... Museum is closed to visitors, but their web shop might still be working. It is a brilliant book if you are modelling a Corsair! 

Just checked, no, web shop is closed too at the moment. 

https://www.fleetairarm.com/

Edited by wunwinglow
added authors name

9 minutes ago, iang said:

KD431 is a FG-1D CORSAIR IV under Cont No.a(S)1871 & Requisition No.N-1450, numbered KD255 to KD560. BuAer Nos.14686 to 14991. 

So you need the Tamiya F4U-1D kit. 

Hi iang,

I'll have to disagree on this.  David Morris' Time Capsule Fighter book believed that the aircraft was an FG-1A.  My own search of the BuAer records confirms Morris' opinion.  KD431 was constructor's number 1871, BuNo 14862.  The first FG-1D was constructor's number 2002, BuNo 76140.  The defining difference between the FG-1A and FG-1D was the presence of the twin pylons with piping for fuel on both pylons - KD431 did not have the pylons and still carried the outboard wing tanks.

Cheers,

Dana

2 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

Book has been reprinted, I picked a copy up from the museum at Yeovilton a few months ago. It is written by the museums curator, Dave Morris.... Museum is closed to visitors, but their web shop might still be working. It is a brilliant book if you are modelling a Corsair! 

Just checked, no, web shop is closed too at the moment. 

https://www.fleetairarm.com/

Thanks for the tip, just found it for $32 on Amazon, order placed! 

1 hour ago, Dana Bell said:

Hi iang,

I'll have to disagree on this.  David Morris' Time Capsule Fighter book believed that the aircraft was an FG-1A.  My own search of the BuAer records confirms Morris' opinion.  KD431 was constructor's number 1871, BuNo 14862.  The first FG-1D was constructor's number 2002, BuNo 76140.  The defining difference between the FG-1A and FG-1D was the presence of the twin pylons with piping for fuel on both pylons - KD431 did not have the pylons and still carried the outboard wing tanks.

Cheers,

Dana

Hi Dana,

I took my information from Sturtivant and Burrow's Fleet Air Arm Aircraft, 1939-45.

Ian

Edited by iang

1 hour ago, iang said:

Hi Dana,

I took my information from Sturtivant and Burrow's Fleet Air Arm Aircraft, 1939-45.

Ian

Hi Ian,

You chose a highly respectable source, one that can be relied on for a variety of facts.  However, the serial assignments in most published sources are not correct.  I spent two years researching the -1 variants of the Corsairs, so I can promise that my data is correct.  I intend no disrespect of Sturtivant, Burrow, or you - I simply had the advantage of newer files opening for public research when I started my dig.

Cheers,

Dana

Got a couple of pics I took from a different angle:

IMG_0376.thumb.JPG.fba7eaad244b39caf59bb2519ba9cc0c.JPG

IMG_0377.thumb.JPG.152fe3e99d37ff9a8566343c2273fc2e.JPG

You can see the canopy still has the cross support of a -1A, but of course it could also be found on a very early -1D. Didn't know about the book, or I would have bought one when I was there. :/