FM-2 Conversion of Trumpeter F4f-4 kit.

LSP_Ray

• 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Time flies when you are buried in boxes! I still have 40 boxes of books to unpack, and 20 boxes of kits to sell!

Books? You most certainly have my attention. When (and if) we get our stimulus payments, you and I may need to have a serious talk.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 5/6/2020 at 10:53 AM, LSP_Ray said:

A small but important update.

Ground and sanded down the extension so it matches the slopes of the fuselage:

FM2_16.thumb.JPG.c27a75c9a263dca91f4450e27af2fcd4.JPG

FM2_17.JPG.ffe2394ecd6cb34e52e3088fbba8810b.JPG

I also worked on the cowling, filling in the area where the MG troughs were supposed to go for the SBD-5. So I checked how well it fit the model:

FM2_15.JPG.c0fca44a96cc676cf2b0d3c3d4fe1b7a.JPGFM2_13.JPG.543c90bdbf18b03656fb7bcd5d1fd865.JPGFM2_14.thumb.JPG.7e84c44a94cd8e6e7b56817e66589950.JPG

Damn close for a piece meant for a different kit! Will reshape it a bit; I don't know why there is a slight bulge on the sides. Is that supposed to be on the SBD? I have a small spacer inside the cowling, so without it the bulge would even be more pronounced. The eagle-eyed might also note the cowling is upside to how it fits on the SBD - it just fit better this way. I don't know if I will be able to get the cowl perfect, but it is pretty darn close. Hopefully I will get my Tamiya Grey primer this week so I can shoot the parts and get a better idea of how everything looks. Next up, the exhaust cutouts. Wanted the cowl pretty close so I could check the gaps. "Mind the Gap!"

That's all for now.

Nice work! I'm up to buy a conversion too! Also, you may want to check the 1/32 B-17 by HK. Maybe the cowlings would be easier and more properly shaped than the 1/32 SBD. :-)