FM-2 Conversion of Trumpeter F4f-4 kit.

LSP_Ray

Not to de-rail your work/thread, but...

The reason why the Revell kit wins as an F4F-4/FM-1 OOB, or the base for a backdate/revised Wildcat/Martlet vs the Trumpeter "offering", (eg; things that get put ablaze on the alter! Lol, ok, Sorry) is due to more than just outline and general shapes!!!

What always kills me the most visually is the wheel well opening, (Wheel/Tire hole) on the fuselage sides and it's transition to the wing fillet representation of the Trumpeter kit. It's just TRASH!!! The wheels and tires suck too and they don't fit the opening in the retract! Lol

Revell, revells in this and other areas. The opening for the wheels and how it actually happens on a Wildcat/Martlet are spot on. The Revell wheels are better  on both sides also.

I really stand/sit by what I posted earlier...To make a 1/32 F4F-? Wildcat or go forward and do a FM-2, you need a Revell kit mostly and a Trumpenboof kit, just for some bits...and a Grand Phoenix cockpit, and scratch, scratch, scratch, score, score, scribe.....etc, etc.

Great kit bash btw, not trying to disrespect your route/work on this...just trying to help.... I hope

Alfonso

Serious, but with humor.

The written word and I are not friends, my apologies!

Hope you, and LSP, understand what I mean?! I clown alot when I type, but I'm serious about aircraft details and how they are represented in kit form.

Though at times I wish in these/this day and age, kits would be at 100%, like you, and many others here and abroad, I don't mind the work needed to correct a kit.

It's so much better now as we have better cross kits/aftermarket/info available.

Fuuuuuuu...k, tangent over, sorry bro, delete if you wish!

I understand what you are saying, but it is planned to offer this as a conversion set, which is more viable with the Trumpeter kit. The Revell kit has its problems, too, as all the inner detail is awful, though it was good in its day, but I can't require everyone to buy two kits, the conversion set, and then do a bunch of scratch work. I do plan on redoing a bit at the wheel wells as they don't fit as is (and the Revell firewall doesn't fit the wheel openings either). I am still seeing what I can do but I don't plan on replacing the whole front half of the kit! Also, according to the drawings, Revell's vertical stabilizer and rudder is undersized. It matches the drawings better than the Trump kit from the cockpit to the base of the tail, but from the base back the Trumpeter is better. Just shows we could use a new-tool Wildcat!  

Just a quick note: I had hoped to have an update by now, but wouldn't you know I was outside and missed a step while cleaning the pool (I know, rough life), lost my balance and braced myself with my right arm to keep from crashing into a wall. I think I severely strained or hyper-extended several muscles in the shoulder area and now can't lift my right arm. It is incrementally getting better, but will probably be several days before I can start working on it. :( 

3 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Just a quick note: I had hoped to have an update by now, but wouldn't you know I was outside and missed a step while cleaning the pool (I know, rough life), lost my balance and braced myself with my right arm to keep from crashing into a wall. I think I severely strained or hyper-extended several muscles in the shoulder area and now can't lift my right arm. It is incrementally getting better, but will probably be several days before I can start working on it. :( 

Sounds like you need some help there, old man. Maybe I should come visit...

On 5/13/2020 at 5:42 PM, BiggTim said:

Sounds like you need some help there, old man. Maybe I should come visit...

Might need you!

Arm update: Although the arm felt better after a couple days, I still couldn't move the elbow much in any direction without pain. Also, had a growing bruise going from shoulder down past my elbow, so I had NP come out and take a look. She said after 5 seconds that I better get an X-ray and MRI. So I got ahold of my PCP and got them ordered and had them done last Mon evening. Had an appt tomorrow with the PCP, but she called today, said she saw the images. I knew something was up as Doc's never call you with good news, and I was right. I she wanted me to immediately to go to a orthopedic doc. I thought I must have really torn up some muscles, but she said, no, they were just stained. Instead, I broke my upper arm bone! Seems the ball at the top of the bone slammed into the shoulder bone, breaking a piece off the top and causing a crack at the base of the ball. :(

Thankfully, no surgery needed, but the orthopedic doc immediately put me in a sling and I am not supposed to move the elbow for two weeks and get an X-ray every week to make sure the broken piece fuses back on and is not moving around. Then therapy starts in about 3 weeks. Crap, I was thinking I would be ready to start back up next week!

Will let you know when I get back on it.

PS: Typing with just your left hand sucks!

15 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Might need you!

Arm update: Although the arm felt better after a couple days, I still couldn't move the elbow much in any direction without pain. Also, had a growing bruise going from shoulder down past my elbow, so I had NP come out and take a look. She said after 5 seconds that I better get an X-ray and MRI. So I got ahold of my PCP and got them ordered and had them done last Mon evening. Had an appt tomorrow with the PCP, but she called today, said she saw the images. I knew something was up as Doc's never call you with good news, and I was right. I she wanted me to immediately to go to a orthopedic doc. I thought I must have really torn up some muscles, but she said, no, they were just stained. Instead, I broke my upper arm bone! Seems the ball at the top of the bone slammed into the shoulder bone, breaking a piece off the top and causing a crack at the base of the ball. :(

Thankfully, no surgery needed, but the orthopedic doc immediately put me in a sling and I am not supposed to move the elbow for two weeks and get an X-ray every week to make sure the broken piece fuses back on and is not moving around. Then therapy starts in about 3 weeks. Crap, I was thinking I would be ready to start back up next week!

Will let you know when I get back on it.

PS: Typing with just your left hand sucks!

Oh man, you're making me cringe!!!