Old USS Pine Island

Shawn M

The ol' "box scale" Monogram USS Pine Island.

I have a soft spot for USN Floatplanes and their activity in WW2, so by proxy the support ships intrigue me to.

I picked this kit up a few years ago, spent 2 summers ago cleaning flash and mould defects and finally started applying some glue and filler in the past week.

This kit is a disaster of engineering I must say, BUT it provides a good outlet to sharpen my dormant skills before getting back to an LSP project.

It will be OOB (and this pains me greatly) but should be a fun painting challenge.

Pics to come, but I wanted to get a topic started.

I remember this kit from my childhood, never did anything as advanced as using filler or any real part preparation, just glue (the tube type) and painting (Humbrol) with a large brush. Interesting ship and look forward to seeing what can be done with this 'classic' model.

• 7 months later...

oh jeez, forgot I started this..sorry gang

I finished it, its not great but its done. The kit and I fought every step...part of me wants to do it again to really show this kit who's boss lol

50379069136_ecc13f23d1_b.jpg

50378372748_7d6b9de5c5_b.jpg

50379248047_a2312d5ba6_b.jpg

50379248242_dd2ba338a2_b.jpg

50248213567_3538f5df84_b.jpg

50248011516_25e849ea8a_b.jpg

Yes I know one side of the flag is backwards, the were printed that way...facepalm

Looks good to me, I had not encountered this ship before so was amazed by it, I had heard of seaplane tenders before but always thought of small single engined aircraft so I was mightily impressed with this one.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

Outstanding Shawn.  My father was a radarman aboard AV12 end of WWII and into Korea.  Of course I have one but I haven't done anything with it yet. Never thought it could look so good, but made me look a little closer at the possibilities.  "Bravo Zulu"

Bill

thanks gang!

This was an OOB build, but yes....PE railings would add a LOT and also simplify assemble and seam clean up dramatically!

I had to get a tender into the collection as my Grandfather flew PBM's out of Trinidad in the late 40's/50's, so anything PBM is pretty much a must build for me lol

Looks great!  The subtle variation in the hull grey is particularly nice.  Impressive to see that big ol' Mariner on the deck.  Not exactly what you usually think of with "seaplane tender"...

• 2 weeks later...