Revell 1/32 Late model P-51D, when?

Steve C

On 10/18/2021 at 11:07 AM, Kenneth said:

Currently retailing at €45,- , I don‘t think it‘ll be long until you can get it for around €30

GBP37 at Jadlam (includes delivery). Tempted to get one at some point. Cannot afford the likes of Tamiya , so Revell cater for those of us who cannot buy uber kits.

Wow, that is really nice price even including delievery?? I might start to sway.. ;)

Just opened an envelope from Hannants with both "The Enchantress" and "Big Beautifiul Doll" (post war, yellow nose and blu rudder, canopy and wing tips) and i already have "Daddy´s Girl" and a few others - which i all need in my life..

Ah well.. A pair of Revells too? ;)

Edited by Paramedic

3 hours ago, AlanG said:

GBP37 at Jadlam (includes delivery). Tempted to get one at some point. Cannot afford the likes of Tamiya , so Revell cater for those of us who cannot buy uber kits.

Actually i lied. GBP35.47 now

Revell 03838 P-51D Mustang (late version) 1:32 Plastic Model Kit - Jadlam Toys & Models - Buy Toys & Models Online (jadlamracingmodels.com)

On 10/18/2021 at 7:37 PM, spreckair said:

I noticed from a photo on the Revell website that the three canopies are still attached to the sprue as the original was, on the upper forward lip on the canopy, and that greatly increases the risk of stress cracks on the clear portion.  I had to return two of the older kits before I got one with an unblemished canopy.  Buyer beware.

The new canopies look to be much improved over the original kit canopy. Probably because the distorted canopy was the biggest complaint about the original kit.  Some were worse than others. I ordered replacements twice and got one that was not perfect but quite acceptable.

I have 2 Tamiyas as well and I wouldn't say the difference, once completed, is not that noticeable.

I put a Tamiya tail on the Revell kit and some have thot it was a Tamiya build.

3a0qT6x.jpg

VvqozHU.jpg

Can any Tamiya builders point out anything noticeable ?    :shrug:

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 4:37 AM, spreckair said:

I noticed from a photo on the Revell website that the three canopies are still attached to the sprue as the original was, on the upper forward lip on the canopy, and that greatly increases the risk of stress cracks on the clear portion.  I had to return two of the older kits before I got one with an unblemished canopy.  Buyer beware.

In this review of the new P-51D „late“, all three canopies were damaged. I think I‘ll get mine from a shop were I can check them in advance..

https://www.kitreviewsonline.de/p-51d-mustang-late-in-132-von-revell-03838/

14 hours ago, Kenneth said:

In this review of the new P-51D „late“, all three canopies were damaged. I think I‘ll get mine from a shop were I can check them in advance..

https://www.kitreviewsonline.de/p-51d-mustang-late-in-132-von-revell-03838/

Revell are atleast pretty good at sending replacements. But I guess maybe not as good at actually checking those replacements too.. But I would not worry too much about the canopy unless you want to start using that as soon as you get home. :)

But it is a shame about the quality control..

A photo-recce would be nice too but not sure Revell would make a separate box for that? Cannot see it sell good enough for quite a "obscure" variant? But what do I know.. :)

Though I think it would have been smarter for them to include those parts like Tamiya did..?

I'm in. Tempted by Jadlam prices but the plastic mailers will just add to the risk of the canopies being stress-marked, especially when the pack is drop-kicked with care at the postal depot. 

But there's always Aerocraft resin replacements, or buying the pony in boxed packaging from the big H. 

Tony 

6 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Revell are atleast pretty good at sending replacements. But I guess maybe not as good at actually checking those replacements too.. But I would not worry too much about the canopy unless you want to start using that as soon as you get home. :)

But it is a shame about the quality control..

A photo-recce would be nice too but not sure Revell would make a separate box for that? Cannot see it sell good enough for quite a "obscure" variant? But what do I know.. :)

Though I think it would have been smarter for them to include those parts like Tamiya did..?

That‘s what I hear too (service-mindedness). But will they have enough non-damaged ones in stock?