Revell 1/32 Late model P-51D, when?

Steve C

12 hours ago, John1 said:

Just my $0.02 - I doubt there are many folks that are interested in buying multiple 32nd scale kits of a P-51D (or any subject for that matter), the comments here on LSP notwithstanding.  My take is that if I’m buying a single kit, I want it to be the best one out there, bar none.   Go big or go home, I guess.   I’m not rolling in cash but dropping an extra $60 or so for Tamiya quality is a trivial purchase.     

Not so simple. In Europe you can easily get at least FOUR Revell Mustangs for ONE Tamiya kit! The reason is quite simple: Japanese kits are more expensive in Europe than in the US whereas the Revell P-51 kit is made in Western Europe. I guess that in Japan the situation is surely drastically different (far cheaper Tamiya kits and quite more expensive Revell ones).

16 hours ago, dmthamade said:

Can buy 3 Revell kits to the 1 Tamiya kit. I don't do any of the features of the Tamiya kit, Revell kit built OK for me, and except for adding belts and decals would be OOB. Can do a LOT of Revell builds VS Tamiya builds. Now they just need to do the Fillet tail...

Don

I may just be me but I would rather build one Tamiya P51 than three Revell, despite not being interested in displaying the engine.

I've built the Revell kit last year and did not encounter any problems, at least none that a little elbowgrease wouldn't solve.

i-sPtm3dJ-M.jpg

And howling with the wolves, I've sold my 2 Tamiya kits and bought me another Revell kit. And btw, the kit decals are excellent (maybe Cartograf?). But we all have our preferences, don't we!

Lothar

5 hours ago, Lothar said:

And howling with the wolves, I've sold my 2 Tamiya kits and bought me another Revell kit. And btw, the kit decals are excellent (maybe Cartograf?). But we all have our preferences, don't we!

Lothar

Hard to say about the decals. The review, done by our own Andy, just says printed in Italy, though no mention is made of Cartograf, specifically.

As to quantity over quality, for those amongst us (like Bf 109 nuts) that may want multiples of multiples, less expensive may seem like the better option. Not all of the members here are in a position where money is not an obstacle.

• 1 year later...
On 10/11/2020 at 10:52 PM, Dave Williams said:

I never said, or implied, that the only difference between the kits was the engine.  My main point about the engine is that not everyone wants to pay extra for features like a complete engine or open gun bays if they intend to close them up.  If you want to talk detail, I also think the Revell cockpit is a little bit better than the Tamiya pit.  The main letdown with the Revell kit is the thick canopy (and the lack of a late option).  But, even if you believe that the Tamiya kit is better quality, it’s not 3x better, which is at least the price difference, and yes I have both kits in my stable to compare.

I pay about twice for the Tamiya kit, maybe 2.5, over the Revell.. Since I don´t have a Revell kit (but two Tamiya) - I can´t say for sure it is worth the extra cost, but it seems so.. Especially since I´m a slow builder anyways..

But thinking about picking up a Revell, or two, too, since there are so many nice subjects I would love to do.. (reprint "Daddy´sm Girl" Jennings! ;) )

On 10/12/2020 at 1:50 PM, LSP_K2 said:

Hard to say about the decals. The review, done by our own Andy, just says printed in Italy, though no mention is made of Cartograf, specifically.

As to quantity over quality, for those amongst us (like Bf 109 nuts) that may want multiples of multiples, less expensive may seem like the better option. Not all of the members here are in a position where money is not an obstacle.

Especially if one wants to do a series of, say, Thompson or Bendix Trophy air racers. . .

At least in Europe, Revell kits tend to become available at very reduced prices not very long after launch. Currently retailing at €45,- , I don‘t think it‘ll be long until you can get it for around €30,-. Never seen such deals with Tamiya, their P-51D is only available for around € 120,- . So with my ambitions and skills, it‘s a no-brainer, and I‘ll be getting one to make a Swedish J26 out of it :)

4 hours ago, Kenneth said:

At least in Europe, Revell kits tend to become available at very reduced prices not very long after launch. Currently retailing at €45,- , I don‘t think it‘ll be long until you can get it for around €30,-. Never seen such deals with Tamiya, their P-51D is only available for around € 120,- . So with my ambitions and skills, it‘s a no-brainer, and I‘ll be getting one to make a Swedish J26 out of it :)

Just priming a Tamiya with Alclad Gloss Black for that purpose..You need any help on J 26s, I have The book on them.. ;)

I probably need to get atleast one Revell just to compare to Tamiya and appreciate that kit even more..

23 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Just priming a Tamiya with Alclad Gloss Black for that purpose..You need any help on J 26s, I have The book on them.. ;)

I probably need to get atleast one Revell just to compare to Tamiya and appreciate that kit even more..

Many thanks, då kommar jag tilbaks :)

I noticed from a photo on the Revell website that the three canopies are still attached to the sprue as the original was, on the upper forward lip on the canopy, and that greatly increases the risk of stress cracks on the clear portion.  I had to return two of the older kits before I got one with an unblemished canopy.  Buyer beware.