Why you build what you build?

mozart

I tend to smatter all over the board. For the most part, it's typically something I read, see in a movie, or hear about. I like a story that evokes emotion, and then I find a way to model the aircraft so that I can continue to tell that story. Additionally, I love certain subjects (P-51's, B-17's), and like to model subjects that you don't often see build. I rarely use kit decals to depict a scheme, unless I just fall in love with it for some reason. I tend to find my subject first, and then explore a kit to depict it. Sometimes I am successful, sometimes I am not.

On the other hand, I also like to model subjects that are off the wall, like firebombers, conversions, etc. I recently saw a profile for a high-altitude I-153, and I thought to myself, "Self, that would sure be different..."

Sometimes, I like a kit so much that I kick the tires on another aircraft from the same manufacturer. Sometimes, I want to build something that I think will draw a lot of attention on a contest table to get people talking. Sometimes, I like to build something just a little bit different.

All this to say, again, I am all over the board. Most of my collection is aircraft though.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

6 hours ago, mozart said:

Thank you "bushande", I can identify and empathise with so much of what you have so eloquently written. I too often stand just gazing into the sky, watching the clouds: how they form, move, the effect of light on them in their constantly changing shapes and colours.  I'm lucky in that where I live there are no street lights at all, so absolutely NO light pollution - on a clear night I'll often go out and look in awe at the sky overhead and wonder about our place on this insignificant little planet.  Kind of puts all our current problems into perspective.

Chase down the excerpts/paragraphs entitled "The Pale Blue Dot" that Carl Sagan wrote in one of his books. And I'd love skies such as yours, so I could view the cosmos better with my telescope. As it is, even when the Milky Way is directly overhead, I can't see it for all of the lousy light pollution here where I live. It seems like I remember being able to see thousands of stars here when I was a kid, but no more.

As to recreating something from the past that's an especially fond memory, I've always wanted to build an F-86 in a public park that kids could play on, much like one that existed long ago over in Illinois when I was just a kid.

23 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Chase down the excerpts/paragraphs entitled "The Pale Blue Dot" that Carl Sagan wrote in one of his books. And I'd love skies such as yours, so I could view the cosmos better with my telescope. As it is, even when the Milky Way is directly overhead, I can't see it for all of the lousy light pollution here where I live. It seems like I remember being able to see thousands of stars here when I was a kid, but no more.

A few years ago Kev, my step-daughter had her 21st birthday celebration here at home, she brought several friends for the weekend from Cardiff Uni where they were all studying. They could not believe the sky and stars, I guess Some of them had never really seen it before without the light pollution of the cities they lived in. It was quite an eye-opener for me, and them! 

I like to build aircraft that mean something to me, such as planes flown by pilots I've read about, or have interesting service histories.  I also tend to glom onto a subject and stick with it for a while, to wit: 13 Mustangs of various scales including 4 1/32 birds; 7 1/48 P-39/P-400s mostly from that amazing Eduard kit, and the two 1/32 P-39's from KH and SH, including the 'Spare Parts' plane from SH. I've done at least four, maybe 5 of the 1/48 of the Monogram/ProModeler B-17G.

But lately I find myself tackling a wider variety of subjects, including an Eduard 1/72 YAK 3 I just finished and a 1/72 Kate.  I find blending in building some 1/72 planes with my 1/32 builds keeps me going and I can use them for skills practice - I did a 1/72 B-58 specifically so I could see how primer color and different metal paints looked on plastic.  And how well they masked.  There are times when doing the 1/32 planes that you just have to wait for something to dry (glue or paint) before moving on.

Originally built only 1/48 but moved to 1/32 as my eyes got older and it was harder to see.  Ironically, a friend gave me an Academy 1/72 Helldiver and that was such an enjoyable build I've now built 12 models in that scale.  Finding the Eduard Overtrees was a boon there - cheap, fun and easy when it came to the Spitfire IXc.  What is fun about these kits is you can pack as much or as little detail in as you want, but you get to the paint and finish stage very quickly.  A week or two tops.  It took me about a month to do just the cockpit on my 1/32 Mustang.

I've done a few tanks/AFV in both 1/35 and 1/72 and a few cars as well.  Oh, and for the WWI anniversary I built nearly two dozen WWI planes (but not a single WNW kit!).  I do have the Green Tailed Trilogy and Richthofen kits which I likely will unload at some point to fund other pursuits. 

While I still have my primary eye on WWII aircraft there are several F-4s, F-101s and F-104s in my closet. That SEA camo scheme just calls my name over and over....Can you imagine the 1/48 B-58 Hustler in SEA scheme?

Not to mention that enormous Revell U-109 Sub which was actually given to me, as well as a solitary X-Wing fighter kit for our Build the Same Subject contest for my model club...

Yes, I have a total lack of focus!

I build whatever floats my boat regardless of periods, types of plane or nationalities. Some times I’m attracted by the design, a technical peculiarly, an interesting marking or whatever. 
Looking back I think my actual life started somewhere in the late 1950s when I discovered Aurora kits, French comic books, cowboy movies and the cover of Julie London’s first vinyl disc. The rest follows suit.:P

Edited by quang

For me I do have several categories that I build and they do all have specific reasons:

1. My favourite period in history to read about is 1900-1920ish so early aircraft and the aircraft of the WWI shall always sit at the top of my list after reading Cecil Lewis' Sagittarius Rising' and researching my own family's history and it relationship to the RFC. 1/32 is the perfect scale so thank you Roden, WnW, CSM Aviattic et al! I also have a predilection for 1/32 Airfix cars (the two Rolls, the Darracq etc, that fit that period as I like to have a vehicle as a size comparator to the aircraft.  

2. I used to work on ocean liners so have built a couple in 1/350 scale but still have Titanic and Lusitania to do which I am looking forward to

3. Le Mans winners in 1/24. I have been working my way back ward in time on those and do one each year. The first time I went to Le Mans Mercedes won then the next time Jaguar took the win. Just a single Jag' being chased by hordes of Porsches.... If you ever wanted to see tens of thousands of Englishmen in tears that was the day! Hooked ever since

4. German WWII armour: the increase in size and firepower as well as the changes in design so quickly over time fascinate me. 

5. All civil aircraft kits in 1/32 I can lay my hands on: Revell have served us well in this respect; a nice series of gliders, the Dornier Do27 and Piper PA-18.  I also like all aircraft that wear clown shoes - float planes are always fun!

6. Motorcycles in 1/12. This is primarily driven by the fact my Dad used to be a 'ricer'; AJS 7R, BSA Gold Star etc and also the bikes I have owned and ridden. I still fear to crack open the resin Honda VFR800 kit that I have though...

Then finally, like many who have posted here, some things will just randomly pop up that I like and have no connection to anything, they are just cool models such as the  Revell 1/48 Junkers Tante Ju in 1936 Olympics markings or the Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster or Airfix 1/72 Blenheim Mk IV in French markings.

Sorry no pictures as I haven't figured that part out yet! I have enjoyed reading everyone's input into this trail! It is uplifting to see how deep many get into their chosen subjects and the passion they bring to it.

Best regards,

Paul

I build aircraft of WWII as that period has fascinated me since I was very young. My paternal grandfather served in the USMCA during WWII and Korea as a night reconnaissance pilot.

I build German armor of the same period as I always marveled at the array of designs the Germans fielded and/or attempted to field. My goal is to build at least one of every vehicle in The Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII, and I am currently shy about 40-some vehicles. My collection is not limited strictly to tanks, as it also includes AFVs/APCs of various kinds as well as the numerous softskins that supported the German army. It also has outliers such as various rockets, railguns, and marine vessels.

I build Volkswagen Type 2 variants as I used to own a VW bus and was a member of several clubs years ago. I build a few other cars that have specific meaning to me, such as the Nissan Pathfinder that was our limousine when I was married, my dad's '67 Stingray, my mom's '65 Shelby Mustang, etc.

I build Science Fiction as well, predominately Star Trek and Star Wars (Polar Lights and Bandai) as I grew up with both franchises.

Not much beyond that.

I probably answered this back in 2012BC (Before Corona :D), but in essence, I build outside the "norm" or popular subjects. With a few exceptions, my aircraft tend to gravitate towards things like the Hs129, P-39, most anything Italian and most Soviet. I build very few jets unless I love them which basically is the A-10, F-4, and F-14. I guess I have a thing for the ugly and the beasts! :lol:

My armor is similar. I built all the popular stuff in my teens, so now I gravitate towards the more obscure subjects for dioramas. Halftracks, US tank destroyers, Italian armor, German armored cars, etc...

I do try to build what Italian equipment I can find in my chosen scales, but mostly because it's unique and rarely ever represented.

This is why I LOVE building F-16’s in large scale. A fortunate set of circumstances put me directly under the Thunderbirds Solo jet in a minimum radius turn, coupled with weather conditions that created the drama. This is the result.

49912492442_9b2f2b90b6_b.jpg

Edited by Stokey Pete

I started with aircraft which seems to be the gateway drug into more modelling. Aircraft, then Luftwaffe aircraft, then captured, post war use, two seat aircraft then broadened into jets, then ships, into tanks and now figures. I build what I'm interested in which seems to grow the more I read or watch doco's etc. Cars though, has never interested me.

Good question Max!

I think it probably all started in the early to mid-60's for me - building model kits with my father (or at least watching him build mine!).

This sparked my passion for aviation for my whole life (Air cadets, RAF and still keeping the faith today as an aircraft engineer). This encompassed everyting from making models of all types (including flying models for a period of time), with probably a main interest in RAF aircraft to start with.

Later I progressed into making model master patterns, which I rarely do these days, and running my own model company for a while (all whilst still collecting way too many kits and making a few as time allowed - including the odd scratch build). Eventually, I sold off most of my models a few years ago in order to keep the stash down to a more managable size (something I am struggling to keep on top of!).

These days, I have setteled for (mainly) a twin themed collection of Greek HAF and Swedish (Flygvapnet)/SAAB aircraft).

Why?...I don't know, just sad I suppose! lol :)

Derek

6 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

This is why I LOVE building F-16’s in large scale. A fortunate set of circumstances put me directly under the Thunderbirds Solo jet in a minimum radius turn, coupled with weather conditions that created the drama. This is the result.

Interesting. I'm a big fan of the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds, and have seen the Angels numerous times, but have no desire at all to build one in any scale.

On 5/13/2020 at 2:32 PM, LSP_K2 said:

As to recreating something from the past that's an especially fond memory, I've always wanted to build an F-86 in a public park that kids could play on, much like one that existed long ago over in Illinois when I was just a kid.

One of my most vivid kid memories involving airplanes was when we lived almost right off the approach end of the runway at McConnell AFB, Kansas in 1967-68. I was five at the time and would spend hours on top of my swing set in the back yard, watching airplanes. The fighters in the pattern would turn base-to-final almost right over the house. One day I was in my usual spot, and the Thunderbirds diamond flashed overhead at what looked like treetop altitude with the afterburners lit. They were so loud and the noise came and went so fast, it sounded like an explosion. My parents and the neighbors came running out of their houses, thinking there had been a crash, especially since I was yelling excitedly. They went on to perform their arrival routine before landing, but that first pass really stuck with me. Dad took me to the air show that weekend, and I got to meet a couple of the pilots. I've been building F-100 models ever since. 

Ben