Why you build what you build?

mozart

2 minutes ago, Tnarg said:

MY father in law worked on almost every US Navy aircraft of WWII. He later built models of them and hung them up in his home office. He was an Aviation Metalsmith on an itty bitty island and patched up bullet holes or damage to get them back to work beating Japan. He loved the planes and I got him quite a few kits of the ones he worked on... several decades later.

Tnarg

Great reasons to build....like it a lot!

I love to read/study history, especially military history. I often find my inspiration comes from a book I'm reading or a documentary I've seen. For example, I really had little interest in the F-4 Phantom until reading Robin Olds "Fighter Pilot". I went out, got a ZM kit and built one. I've got plenty of WNW kits because they are well researched, a challenge to rig and the markings are cool. I am a sucker for any aircraft/any scale in Air National Guard markings. I am drawn to kits with ( what I consider) exceptional Engineering and fit- the Tamiya 1/32 series of aircraft no matter the subject is a must have for me. In short, there is no rhyme or reason just what strikes my fancy.

v/r,

Rob

I tend to build aircraft types that have connected with me in one way or other throughout the years. 
For examples, TopGun made me fall in love with the F-14 so I HAD to build one. 
My first venture into the cockpit of a real jet was an A-10, when I was a youngster. The pilot spent half an hour with me sat in the seat and explained how everything worked and what job he did with the ‘HOG’. 
Tornado, I spent a summer camp with Air Cadets at RAF Marham. During which time I got very hands on with the maintenance crews and spent many an hour in the simulators. 

As a kid growing up i was always into the main Battle of Britain fighters and in particular the Hurricane (because it achieved more kills and was the underdog). I still love the Hurricane. But ever since i've read about Sturmbock/Rammjager Fw190s i have been hooked on them. They look mean and have a good amount of firepower.

I do have a love for other subjects such as Bf110, Ju88, Lancaster, Mosquito, Beaufighter, Tornado GR1/4 and finally Su-27 Flanker B (ever since seeing the Russian Knights).

But even though i love the other aircraft, i'll always return to the Fw190.

18 minutes ago, AlanG said:

Only up to the Mk.IX. After that they turned ugly lol

Well I'm glad you said that Alan, I agree 100%, but especially the Griffon-engined ones!  Aesthetics!! :)

Why Models?

I've loved aviation since I saw a four ship Lightning take-off at Coltishall in the summer of 1970 (aged 4) - those natural metal sky-seaking missiles left a BiG impression on me...

We lived in Norfolk - it was like living on an aircraft carrier back then - surrounded by fast jet bases.

Later it transpired that my grandfather had been a Fleet Air Arm pilot in the mid '30's and a relative was a very early aviation pioneer, Alec Ogilvie, who was good friends with the Wright Brothers.

I couldn't pursue the career I wanted - RAF Pilot - due to eyesight, but did eventually obtain a PPL.

So - it's the history of aviation - as well as the engineering development since flying began, really.

Working in the larger scales helps with understanding the engineering - and the research needed is all part of the magic of the hobby.

All periods and genres, but as discussed elsewhere, I'm developing a keener interest in British and Commonwealth aircraft of the inter-war period.

Specific subjects can grab me at random - and I'll dive in if I see/find something that grabs my interest - but my weakness is staying the course on a given subject without getting sidetracked!

I can't afford to collect real aeroplanes - so models it is! Although I keep looking at interesting historic light aircraft that crop up for sale - and I might bite one day.

Blue skies...

Iain

US jets are my passion. 

I grew up on the China Lake naval base. I saw Phantoms,  Crusaders, Skyhawks, Vigilantes, Intruders, Skyknights, and Furies almost everyday. Every US jet from the 50's and 60's is interesting to me. One offs and prototypes as well. 

I saw a naval airpower display put on for President Kennedy in 1963. Live missiles and bombs. I was hooked.

Dan

10 hours ago, AlanG said:

Only up to the Mk.IX. After that they turned ugly lol

1 hour ago, kalashnikov-47 said:

Until they clipped the wings.  I understand why, but to me it's like removing an interesting part of anatomy from a beauty queen.

The Mk. XVI high back is OK ;-)

Yeah, I intend to agree about the clipped wings, but at least they were replaceable with full span tips. Think of it like a pair of gloves on a beauty queen.

I forgot to mention my WNW kits (which kind of sit in the "bought while drunk" category, but have now moved into the "pension investment" section). 

Edited by DonH

I guess it's a number in reasons.  Like @Iain I grew up in East Anglia, and not only did we have lots of airfields, both in-use and otherwise, but there was often something overhead.  I started going to airshows with my Father from a very young age, and there was a photo of me age about 4 in the cockpit of a Spitfire, taken at Coltishall air day sometime in the early 60s.  (I wish I knew what had happened to that, but I digress.)

I started on the modelling for myself one Christmas, age about 8 or 9, when my aunt bought me an Airfix Bristol 192; I built it - gaps, no paint, wonky decals, glue marks et al - and was hooked.  Later I joined the Air Cadets and learned many practical things about aircraft and how they fly (+ many other things).

Thirdly, an interest in 20th Century history.

That's why I do aircraft modeling, as to what:

Spitfires, and I think all marks and variants are beautiful and fascinating - the nicest-looking imo is the PR XIX in PRU blue with full invasion stripes.

P-51s

And more generally:

- Based in, operating out of, or associated with East Anglia – RAF and US, both 8th AF and USAF;

- Of the RAF, and to a lesser extent Naval and Army aviation;

- Of the US Army Air Forces in WWII, particularly the 8th and 9th Air Forces, but not forgetting the MTO, PTO CBI or ZOI;

- Operated by NATO in the Cold War, particularly RAF & RAFG, USAFE, Luftwaffe, KLu, Belgian AF;

- Operated by WWII Luftwaffe and other Axis nations; and Cold War WARPAC, mainly Czechoslovakia and East Germany.

- That are Recce and Training aircraft for preference;

- That belong to the WWII & Cold War period, although that is not set in stone;

- That above all are unusual, or have an interesting story.

Hmm...very interesting topic.

Looking at my stash it looks like I randomly went through the Hannants website while wearing a blindfold adding a load of things to my cart and then went through  checkout. 

A few themes emerge though:

• German WW1 aeroplanes mainly due to the colour schemes and lack of rigging, although I am very partial to a Bristol Fighter, Pup and Camel.
  • Spitfires - the aeroplane that makes the Mona Lisa look as attractive as a box of frogs
  • Some Jet aeroplanes, especially Hunters, Eagles and Tomcats
  • Avro Lancasters and Shackletons
  • Naval aircraft especially Swordfish and Corsairs (the prop one)
  • Military vehicles with the caveat that they must look like something that could be in a Thunderbirds plot. These are mainly recovery vehicles (tracked and wheeled), russian trucks (the Maz 7313 fits the description nicely) and HEMTT's.
  • Many other things such as Rally Cars, DH Mosquito, the upcoming Rapide, B25 Mitchells etc.etc.

I also have a rather odd little model of a Covid 19 virus that I had free with an order from perfect scale modellbau  https://www.perfect-scale.de/en/

As to why? My father took me to see the Battle of Britain film when I was 6 so that led to the aeroplanes. He was also in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers and I was always fascinated by the pictures he had of the big wheeled Scammell Pioneers and Explorer's

So many models, so little time.....

Greetings and stay safe

Adrian

Edited by Adrian
added link