Luftwaffe F-4F Phantom 2 Finished at last!

Grant_T

Pushing on with the lots of little parts. I masked the canopies (inside and outside) and started painting the various other parts. I also started weathering the bottom of the aircraft but couldn't get a half reasonable picture to show. Hopefully I can start on the upper camo this week.

010.jpg
011.jpg
012.jpg

37 minutes ago, Grant_T said:

Oh yeah, the kit comes with weighted and unweighted wheels, which explains the profusion of wheels above.

And they look very good Grant! 

Following this one with interest... First of all since it's a Phantom and secondly because I'm currently working on a RF-4E (Hasegawa 1/48) which will also be finished in a Norm 72 livery. I'm debating how to handle the underside of the bird. I'm contemplating using regular aluminium as a base and have a look if I can tone it down a bit with a semi-gloss coat... Look's like You might be heading in the same direction so I'm curious to see how it will look in the end... Keep up the good work on this sweet bird !

Kind regards,

Rudy.

On 6/8/2020 at 3:21 AM, Shujaa said:

I'm contemplating using regular aluminium as a base and have a look if I can tone it down a bit with a semi-gloss coat... Look's like You might be heading in the same direction so I'm curious to see how it will look in the end...

I painted the bottom with Vellejo metal color Aluminium, and then did to post shading with burnt iron and pale burnt metal to give it some variation. I just masked the whole bottom though so I don't have any pictures.

I've just been working on the back end of the aircraft. Slowly getting my mojo back

013.jpg
014.jpg

Nice to read You regained your mojo. The back-end is looking sweet. I'm looking forward to see the belly of the beast after she has been uncovered to see the results of your "explanation" regarding how you handled the "elusive weiss-aluminium". Keep up the good work !

Kind regards,

Rudy.

And here's the cockpit. Obviously the kit is very basic/toylike in terms of cockpit detail, but I'm a busy person so really don't have time to add detail. :rolleyes: If I built the kit again I'd look for some aftermarket for the cockpit, though I'm not sure if there is any. Still, I'm happy with this and it fits with my theory of cockpit painting (i.e. it should be of a detail commensurate with the outside of the aircraft and scale distance appropriate, and hence basically monochrome). 

015.jpg