View from the Workbench...

Iain

20 minutes ago, mozart said:

17th century Alan, old massive oak beams. If you’re taller than 6’ you have problems! I’m 5’7” :)

Thanks Max, very interesting! Have you gone through the courtyard with a metal detector yet?

you never know what you will find!

Cheers

Alan

55 minutes ago, alaninaustria said:

Thanks Max, very interesting! Have you gone through the courtyard with a metal detector yet?

you never know what you will find!

Cheers

Alan

No need for a metal detector, virtually every spadeful of earth that I turn over has some kind of "find" in it, even if it's only broken crockery! :doh:

2 hours ago, mozart said:

This is my view looking south-east across our garden, we're slap back in the middle of the countryside at the end of a narrow lane and no neighbours! :rolleyes:  Very peaceful. B)

and one looking back the other way:

Plenty of activity always to distract me with bird life in particular including the all-to-frequent raiding sparrow hawk.

Can I move in with you ?

Lothar

Yeah, right, I wish Mike!  :)

We live in a 300 year (ish) old barn on what was the farmyard - sounds posh, but bear in mind it was built to house sheep and pigs!

Over the years various local farms have expanded their acreage by absorbing land from neighbouring farms, making a lot of the old buildings redundant.

That field is called Pear Tree Piece - it's on an incline towards us - but as someone said after we moved in 20 years ago, would make a great airstrip!

Crops rotated each year - not sure yet what we've got this year, but can be maize, wheat, oilseed rape etc..

View from the kitchen window:

48b427_69ea435bd75f4a5ab49e417ecec182fa~

The next field boundary is to Curdle Hill farm - re-named Diddly Squat farm by is recent new owner, a Mr Clarkson. Some in the UK made have heard of him...

I do like watching the farming activity - and it's a great distraction from my job in the online world - these both taken from my modelling bench:

48b427_bd8558c861c34892b898ffe70e29345c~

48b427_f3fe3e8dc7f94e809930212f3c2ffd61~

Iain

Yes - it's on the list!  :)

Hadn't really used the space over winter and finish on the frame has deteriorated a lot since last summer - and a little water got in through the corner in the high winds/rain earlier this year.

Leak now sorted I think, but I need to treat the wood with a wood preserver and oil. Not sure if I have any linseed left - but probably have some Tung oil. Getting supplies difficult as it's a trek to get to any suppliers, most of whom are currently closed around these parts.

Iain

We've got used to it - normally every three years we get rape.

Really not good for hey fever sufferers though (fortunately it doesn't affect anyone in the family).

It's a trade off we're happy to accept - the farm has to earn it's keep and we're thankfull to live somewhere like this.

Iain