1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless in New Zealand markings w/ full Archer rivet replacement - DONE

Brett M

I have no idea how, but somehow I managed to miss this one. As always Brett, your work is amazing and you've chosen quite a cool subject - and in my homeland colours too!

I do enjoy your threads, and this one looks to be as good as the Corsair. Looking forward to your next sci-fi subject too ;)

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Engine looks great on the model - really enjoying following this one, especially since I'll almost certainly build this kit some day.

I suspect that the plug wires were black on the original.  Also, I believe there would have been wire looms that attached between the rocker covers on top of the cylinders and captured the plug wires heading to the rear sparkplugs.  You *could* scratchbuild those, but unless you will be able to remove the cowl from the completed model, you would never be able to see them.

poYAVCHsj

Thanks Alex. The wire color is easy to change, thankfully. The looms would have been a nice touch by Trumpeter (Tamiya had them on the Corsair) but I don’t think I’ll build them for this one. From the looks of it, Trumpeter just intends us to clamp the cowl on around the engine and hope it lines up, instead of using some sort of positive locators, like the mounting rings in your picture. :blink:

If you do build this kit, I’ll be watching with wide eyes!

1 hour ago, The Madhatter said:

I have no idea how, but somehow I managed to miss this one. As always Brett, your work is amazing and you've chosen quite a cool subject - and in my homeland colours too!

I do enjoy your threads, and this one looks to be as good as the Corsair. Looking forward to your next sci-fi subject too ;)

Thanks Si, appreciate it! Next sci-fi might be either the Bandai AT-ST or K2S-0.....I won’t tackle that Star Destroyer for a while lol

4 minutes ago, turbo said:

Terrific work Brett, liking it!

Thanks Turbo!

31 minutes ago, Brett M said:

If you do build this kit, I’ll be watching with wide eyes!

I dunno man, I feel like I still have a lot to learn from *your* stuff.  I first started looking at this website regularly right about when you were wrapping up your Corsair build, and I distinctly remember being very impressed with the paintjob - that was when I realized I had found the website where the serious airplane modelers hung out!.  I am definitely going back to review that one before starting on any sun-weathered USN/USMC planes.

Hey all!

Does anyone have any good shots of the area between the forward cockpit and rear cockpit where the radios/radar would be found? The more I dig, the more I find that what Trumpeter included for the SBD-5 is wrong (loop antenna).

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 9:30 PM, Brett M said:

Hey all!

Does anyone have any good shots of the area between the forward cockpit and rear cockpit where the radios/radar would be found? The more I dig, the more I find that what Trumpeter included for the SBD-5 is wrong (loop antenna).

thanks!

BTT!

Hey all, the question above still stands, if anyone has the answer.

Otherwise, minor updates as I’m kind of on pause while Woody does some work on the rivet set. Assembled the main gear, thanks to Synthetic Ordinance Works. The oleos look GREAT with the real metal showing. I thought I had a problem with the left gear leg, but it turns out that Trumpeter molded the opening in the gear bay on an angle, at least on mine. See below picture of the strange kick out of the wheel. Easy fix though.

Also started painting up the propellor, using Alclad chrome for the spinner and aluminum for the hub. My yellow orange tips might be resprayed as they aren’t quite even.

The overall airframe has been gloss coated and stands ready for rivets and black basing! Soon B)

PSX_20200918_135039

PSX_20200918_135000

PSX_20200918_135234

Close up shots aren’t nice! Definitely reworking the tips, now that I see that ridge at the bottom.

PSX_20200918_135307

Edited by Brett M

On 9/1/2020 at 11:30 PM, Brett M said:

Yes, it has the loop antenna according to William Reece. The Smithsonian did a series of cockpit books and there's a photo of a -6 with the mounting bracket, but missing the loop.

Damn, son you're making some serious progress and the engine looks awesome. I'm completely stalled on my build.

Rivets! I have to say these are extremely easy to use. Woody (Archer Fine Transfers) has done his work on these and they’re definitely worth the effort to upgrade your Dauntless. Cut the decal tight to the rivets, water, then apply. Move them around where you need them and push the water out with your brush. Super thin film that will disappear as work progresses. The only issue I had was of my own making, aka dust on the surface which didn’t let the decal adhere properly.

Anyway, here’s about 5 hours of work so far....as well as some pictures from Dinosaur National Monument over the weekend.

PSX_20200928_153800

sometimes I miss that a decal moves...but that’s why we start with the bottom.

PSX_20200928_153818

PSX_20200928_153835

Loads more to go, but making progress. 

And some Dino.....

PSX_20200926_163523

PSX_20200926_163509

PSX_20200926_163800