1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless in New Zealand markings w/ full Archer rivet replacement - DONE

Brett M

Filling has begun. At Woodys suggestion, I’m using thinned Perfect Plastic Putty and wiping in on with a tiny spatula. As you can see, it works quite well though I have cleanup to do. The rivets won’t be perfectly smoothed over as the replacement raised rivets and decals will cover them spot on. 

More to come soon, progress to be made.....and it’s 101F outside, so more time indoors!

50172179932_762cd4e58f_b.jpg

25 minutes ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

I noticed that on my kit there are some nasty sink marks on the trailing edge where the ailerons attach.
Does your kit have the same?

Yep, on both wings. And the fuselage....and the tail....and probably in other spots I haven’t noticed yet. :blink:

20 minutes ago, nichenson said:

So would assume by your method that Trumpeter got the riveting pattern correct or mostly correct? 

Based on Woodys research for the rivet set, yep. He spent the time to make sure they lined up where they should.

16 minutes ago, Brett M said:

Based on Woodys research for the rivet set, yep. He spent the time to make sure they lined up where they should.

That is good to know.  It then makes it possible to use solder balls.  Might have to look into that and save my rivet decals. 

• 3 weeks later...

Putting away at this still, just not a lot to really show. Since I've attached the horizontal stabilizers, I figure that's something...... I'm currently ready to spray a gloss coat and start the rivet decals, but am waiting on a circle scribing template to arrive via Amazon......hopefully a day or two more only! I've also ordered Master .50 caliber barrels to replace the pilots guns.....I had forgotten I'd only ordered the rear .30's, so I have to wait on attaching the section directly in front of the cockpit (sat in place for now).

Anyway, stabilizers on, neither side was the same thickness as the other and there were massive gaps on the underside. Lots of sanding and CA, we have something somewhat acceptable. Otherwise, I believe I have everything filled and am just in standby mode for the main plane. Off to work on the engine!

50260268896_15c5435db4_h.jpg 

50260269036_1d8695587b_h.jpg

50259613498_4dab40e721_h.jpg

A bit of white putty stuck in the panel line, I'll clear that later!

50260459262_846e6387ac_h.jpg

And, tried to escape the heat of Salt Lake and headed up into the mountains. Even at 10,400 ft, it was still mid 80's. No escaping the heat bubble in the southwest!

Our Golden Retriever, Chester, telling me it's time to go back to the shade. 

50259615033_be3693a7d4_h.jpg

50259641728_5c86f1a98b_h.jpg

50260299356_c284048540_h.jpg

Edited by Brett M