1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless in New Zealand markings w/ full Archer rivet replacement - DONE

Brett M

5 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

If you need anything from Archer just hit me up via PM and I'll see to it that you get it. 

In case you don't have it, this is by far the best reference book I have on the SBD. It has CLEAR detailed photos plus loads of original Douglass archive pictures showing just about every conceivable angle of the cockpit.

41Jz9Z162nL._SX357_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You can get it from Amazon. A bit pricey but worth every penny.

https://www.amazon.com/Douglas-Dauntless-Yellow-Robert-Pęczkowski/dp/8389450399

2 hours ago, Uncarina said:

I love the Dauntless, and great start on your journey! Detail and Scale also have an excellent reference: http://www.detailandscale.com/sbd_dauntless_digital_book.html Can’t beat the price, and great detail pics.

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you both for the suggestions.....I might have just ordered both B)

14 hours ago, Brett M said:

Thank you both for the suggestions.....I might have just ordered both B)

The Details and Scale and the Squadron Walk-around on the Dauntless is all you REALLY need IMHO to do a Dauntless RIGHT! No disrespect to others suggestions at all just speaking from a U.S.N. modelling perspective. Though I hardly model at all currently, to be in perspective, but still! Lol

Alfonso

Alfonso

Thanks to Alfonso for some items he pointed out in Archers SBD-3 build, I've updated some items on my SBD-5. Removed the extra rear control stick and left the mounted spare on the port side. Painted the "gust lock" between the pilots rudder controls red and I also changed the rear outside flooring to look something like canvas on the rear of the cockpit. Probably need to weather this more to get a better look, still. 

Thanks for looking! 

49860983273_170dbd9543_h.jpg 

8 hours ago, Brett M said:

Thanks to Alfonso for some items he pointed out in Archers SBD-3 build, I've updated some items on my SBD-5. Removed the extra rear control stick and left the mounted spare on the port side. Painted the "gust lock" between the pilots rudder controls red and I also changed the rear outside flooring to look something like canvas on the rear of the cockpit. Probably need to weather this more to get a better look, still. 

Thanks for looking! 

49860983273_170dbd9543_h.jpg 

Your Welcome Bro!

Just another "2" cents worth, if I may...

I'd give the canvas panels an oliveish wash to "dirty/age/texture" the fabric up a bit if you get me? Then "play" with the fasteners a bit too, since these covers were to access whatever is under them!

Nice mod work on the removed stick on the rear canvas boot! Not to make you do a "do over" paint wise, but "I think" the canvas boots on fore/aft stick mounts should be "tanish" and not black. You did black, so just give them a wash and dry brush some tan/ browns and use the black as a base coat, if you get what I mean?! Still looking good Bro!!

Also, the 2  molded "T" handles on the forward cockpit, port/left wall should be red if I remember correctly!?

Just trying to help out.

Keep on, Keeping on!

Alfonso

17 minutes ago, Kaeone57 said:

Your Welcome Bro!

Just another "2" cents worth, if I may...

I'd give the canvas panels an oliveish wash to "dirty/age/texture" the fabric up a bit if you get me? Then "play" with the fasteners a bit too, since these covers were to access whatever is under them!

Nice mod work on the removed stick on the rear canvas boot! Not to make you do a "do over" paint wise, but "I think" the canvas boots on fore/aft stick mounts should be "tanish" and not black. You did black, so just give them a wash and dry brush some tan/ browns and use the black as a base coat, if you get what I mean?! Still looking good Bro!!

Also, the 2  molded "T" handles on the forward cockpit, port/left wall should be red if I remember correctly!?

Just trying to help out.

Keep on, Keeping on!

Alfonso

Thanks again! This is what I hope for when I make posts, info to help improve my model. And it’s also what get for following Trumpeter’s paint call outs, lol.

I’ll make some updates and complete so more work, then post again.

Brett

Just now, Brett M said:

Thanks again! This is what I hope for when I make posts, info to help improve my model. And it’s also what get for following Trumpeter’s paint call outs, lol.

I’ll make some updates and complete so more work, then post again.

Brett

Glad to be of help on your build Brett! 

Not an expert by any means, but I know U.S.N aircraft of WWII pretty well as they've always been my passion. Maybe being Pisces drives me towards the blues! Hahahaaa

Use the Trumpeter instructions to place parts correctly to a certain degree, eg: the rear control sticks, and not for color callouts.

Like I said before, the Detail & Scale and Squadron Walk-around books are all you need for a Dauntless. I have them both, but they're in storage in Miami and I'm in California. If I had access to them, I'd post/send pics of what you need.

Ask away, and, Please Model on Sir!

Alfonso

• 1 month later...

So, I haven't forgotten about modeling, but things have been weird these past couple weeks! Go figure?!

More progress on the interior. I need to get some instrument decals coming to fill in the blanks Trumpeter left me, so if you have suggestions on where to buy and brand, shout it out. 

It's not a lot of progress, but progress none the less. 

Feel free to point out errors or things that can be added......and yep, there are a couple pieces still missing on the sidewalls (throttle and antenna wire spool).

49989352923_a77b97bf96_h.jpg

49989350863_84cc7b63db_h.jpg

49990115867_1d7ae43853_h.jpg

49989350928_e6383b6bd3_h.jpg

49989871456_62ba209183_h.jpg

49989350853_ad00d0645b_h.jpg

2 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Looks great, Brett!

Kev

31 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

agreed, looking superb. 

Thank you both. Definitely slow going for me....weather is making it too nice to be inside!

• 1 month later...

Definitely dragging on this one, but now that it's REALLY getting hot out (95+), more inside time. 

Ready to close the fuselage at this point, not much else I can see to do for the interior. I skipped all of the parts behind the rear bulkhead, as they won't be seen. Rebuilt the throttle, which will barely be visible. Added Airscale gauges to rear cockpit, again barely visible. In fact, most everything for the backseater gets hidden by the turret. Oh well, at least I know it's there!

Starting work on the engine and support frame. Again, skipping parts that won't be visible with no panels open. More to come on that. 

Thanks for looking. 

50098099998_475fd79290_h.jpg

50098907477_c5ea37ecff_h.jpg 

50098681681_74080a8c79_h.jpg 

50098681706_b89c911985_h.jpg

50098907452_797ccb7887_h.jpg