1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless in New Zealand markings w/ full Archer rivet replacement - DONE

Brett M

2 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Beautiful painting Brett!  The black base modulation using different colors is very interesting although I know from experience that the subtle effects of these preshading techniques are difficult to capture with photography.  What's your verdict on the use of different colors?

Thanks John. Verdict, I think it’s very hard to tell, even in person, that there are yellows and reds under the sea blue. I think I would have achieved the same with just a regular black basing. Worth a try though!

Back to doing touch ups and mixing up another batch of lightened sea blue....didn’t save enough for the flaps, doh!

A few more up to date pictures after some touch ups. UPS also just showed up with my latest Sprue Brothers order of MRP.....now I have the right Insignia Red and can get the interior of the flaps done. 

For those reading ( @Anthony in NZ maybe?), do you know the blue used for the New Zealand roundels? I did a bit of browsing on the ol' Google and came back with FS 25026 (aka, Blue) for new paint or FS 35109 (International Blue) for a faded paint during World War 2. Does that sound right to you all? There also is a yellow stripe around the fuselage roundel, suggestions on color? RAF Marking Yellow? Or can I get away with MRP Orange Yellow? (Montex, unfortunately, does not call out the marking colors with their masks)

Anyway, pics.....enjoy while I go paint some red. 

_DSC9090

_DSC9086

_DSC9088

_DSC9087

My MRP collection is growing.......

_DSC9095

Edited by Brett M

Hi Brett

I am at work at the moment but have seen the wreck of an SBD-5 that the RNZAF Museum holds and the blue is very dark for the roundels, especially the underside ones. I would say your yellow should be just fine.

I will check my photos when I get home from work 

she looks amazing 

9 hours ago, Brett M said:

Thanks John. Verdict, I think it’s very hard to tell, even in person, that there are yellows and reds under the sea blue. I think I would have achieved the same with just a regular black basing. Worth a try though!

My experience as well.  It's sure fun to play around with all these colors though!

Top notch modeling Brett!  With my Tempest put to bed, I can now peruse the forums a little more and discover more fantastic builds like this one.

Cheers,

Chuck