1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless in New Zealand markings w/ full Archer rivet replacement - DONE

Brett M

While I wait for some more MRP colors to arrive so I can do the insignias (come on UPS!) I figured I'd start getting on more of the markings and the few decals I will be using. Donald on the nose, registration painted, walk ways painted, chipped and partially dirtied up. This will get toned down as I move forward with salt weathering and flat. 

_DSC9101

_DSC9100

_DSC9099

12 hours ago, Brett M said:

_DSC9099

I may be mistaken, but I believe that recess inside the "Z" is actually a hole used somehow to facilitate lifting the aircraft. I know it's late in the game but you might consider opening it up. I usually just see guys paint it black, but that may look awkward next to the black lettering.

Finally had some time (and a clear bench, working on a wooden covered wagon for the mom in law) and started work on the insignia's today. About to jump on the fuselage now, but wanted to share and see what the LSP experts think of what I've sprayed. This is insignia white (surprise!) with insignia blue on the bars and then RAF marking blue for the roundel. I think it looks good.....the insignia blue is a bit bright, but with additional layering and weathering, it will bring it down in contrast. 

What do you all think?

_DSC9102

Edited by Brett M

15 minutes ago, Brett M said:

This is insignia white (surprise!) with insignia blue on the bars and then RAF marking blue for the roundel. I think it looks good.....the insignia blue is a bit bright, but with additional layering and weathering will bring it down in contrast. 

Hi Brett,

Looking good, the RNZAF Pacific Roundel looks fine, the US Insignia Blue

probably would be fine too

The SBD-5's only served with 25 Sqn for roughly 3 months, (3 months in the Pacific Sun

can still give reasonable wear on the paint - but not to the real faded look).

When handed back to the USMC/MAG the Quartermaster stated they still looked

as "New"

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

14 minutes ago, LDSmodeller said:

Hi Brett,

Looking good, the RNZAF Pacific Roundel looks fine, the US Insignia Blue

probably would be fine too

The SBD-5's only served with 25 Sqn for roughly 3 months, (3 months in the Pacific Sun

can still give reasonable wear on the paint - but not to the real faded look).

When handed back to the USMC/MAG the Quartermaster stated they still looked

as "New"

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

Hey Alan

Thanks for the quick reply. So, if I'm following, don't weather them too much as they really were looking good after their short service period. Correct? 

Brett

4 minutes ago, Brett M said:

don't weather them too much as they really were looking good after their short service period. Correct? 

Hi Brett,

Correct :)

The RNZAF SBD 5's are probably the only front line aircraft in our WWII Air Force

in the Forward Pacific areas,that didn't get too weathered, as opposed to say the F4U's

Regards

Alan

Not quite as happy with the fuselage work. Peeling paint off......which, I'm guessing is caused by dust, since I'm using MRP for all colors so far.  The masks weren't exactly in the right spot and it probably didn't help that I was pressing them down as often as I could during painting. Clean up to do, oh well. 

_DSC9103

_DSC9104