1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless in New Zealand markings w/ full Archer rivet replacement - DONE

Brett M

23 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Ok, I have just gone through thousands of photo's on my computer and cant find the ones I took of the Dauntless wreck.

They must have been on my old film camera, will take a look through those tonight...

13 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Here is a photo Phil Treweek took of  NZ5037, I will have a better look tonight.  But the blue was very dark 

Sorry I am not much more help right now

NZ62x8.jpg

Thanks for digging around, especially going though so many photos!  From that picture, and the outline on the bars, it might just be typical insignia blue......hmm. Debate time!

Just now, Brett M said:

Thanks for digging around, especially going though so many photos!  From that picture, and the outline on the bars, it might just be typical insignia blue......hmm. Debate time!

That's certainly what it looked like to me in natural light....  Look at photo's of RNZAF (SBD-5's particularly) and you will see they were quite dark

Cheers Anthony

1 hour ago, Rockie Yarwood said:

Brett, have you seen this from IPMS New Zealand?

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/rnzaf_paints.html

"(NZ) Roundel Blue:  BALM S13-046.  33B/164  (Fs.25056 when fresh - weathered to Fs.35109 > 35190."

No pictures, but maybe a starting point...

Cheers,  Rockie

Hey Rockie!

Yep, that's the site where I pulled the FS codes yesterday. Since I don't have either of those paints....I may just try the boring old Insignia Blue for now. Still debating!

So, one problem with using Montex and adding raised rivets......the masks won't conform to the rivets well enough. I tried placing the tail number just now and cannot for the life of me get the oramask to stay flush. I have Ventura's decals for the same plane, but didn't really want to go the decal route, especially for the big insignias.

Any suggestions on where to get custom Kabuki masks for New Zealand WW2 insignias?

EDIT!

Surprisingly, they look fine. :mellow: I did the tail number and it really had no bleed on the edges (LOW air pressure and kept the airbrush completely straight while spraying). I'm happier now, ha!

_DSC9097

Edited by Brett M

• Brett M changed the title to 1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless in New Zealand markings w/ full Archer rivet replacement - Insignias and markings
4 hours ago, Brett M said:

Yep, that's the site where I pulled the FS codes yesterday. Since I don't have either of those paints....I may just try the boring old Insignia Blue for now. Still debating!

Hi Brett,

I've been following along with your build, and just letting you know there is a lot

of Misinformation/Perpetuated Myths about WWII RNZAF Roundel colours.

Whilst the Paint Colour is made by BALM (British Australian Lead Manufacturers), the colours can never

really equate to FS colours, as FS Colour Standard didn't exist in WWII.

The other Myth (yes even in Kiwi land) is that RNZAF Roundel  faded to some light colour blue.

After X amount of Decades in the Rukuhia Aircraft open storage yards yes, but not in the

forward operational areas - also bear in Mind that the SBD-5 only served with  RNZAF 25 Sqn

for a few short Months

This SBD-5 Shows the colours are not faded (from RNZAF Museum)

PR3443.t5ea09b7c.m800.xyb6QSVB9.jpg

(RNZAF Official- RNZAF Museum - used with Permissions)

If the RNZAF Roundel did fade, it would look some thing like this on this RNZAF Corsair,

as the RNZAF Roundel was painted directly over the US Star

44202667-2e84-46e8-aba8-b138fd5b7089.jpg

The Roundels were kept fairly Fresh by the SU (Servicing Unit) personnel, as a matter of Pride and safety.

The closest colour suitable would be WWII RAF Roundel Blue, with Insignia Blue for the Bar surrounds.

Caveat to this, is that the Starboard Wing upper and Port wing lower Bar borders would be RNZAF Roundel

Blue, not US Insignia Blue (RNZAF Aircraft wore Roundels in six positions)

Hope that Helps?

Regards

Alan

PS: I have the Montex masks for My RNZAF SBD-5

Thanks Alan! That’s some great info. Interestingly, nothing had called out that the RNZAF had roundels in 6 spots......<_< I’m wondering if that might have been on the blue grey over light grey scheme only?

Edited by Brett M

1 hour ago, Brett M said:

Interestingly, nothing had called out that the RNZAF had rounders in 6 spots......<_< I’m wondering if that might have been on the blue grey over light grey scheme only?

Hi Brett,

Apologies, I should have been a little more specific for the SBD-5's.

The 25 Sqn SBD-5's were the only aircraft in RNZAF Inventory that wore the RNZAF Roundel in

4 positions (as in US aircraft) - they were loan aircraft, from USMC/MAG, until the TBF-1c/F4U-1 came to the forward

areas.

All other RNZAF Aircraft both forward Pacific areas and at home in New Zealand wore roundels in

6 positions (including RNZAF SBD-4's in forward areas)

Check out this RNZAF P40 (Gloria Lyons NZ3220)

MUS950102a.t5f7772ab.m800.xpf0Ky0FT.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - Used with Permissions)

RNZAF P40 at Odonga New Georgia

PR2016.t5ebd9d9c.m800.xIjUx55e_.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - used with Permissions)

Regards

Alan

8 hours ago, LDSmodeller said:

Hi Brett,

Apologies, I should have been a little more specific for the SBD-5's.

The 25 Sqn SBD-5's were the only aircraft in RNZAF Inventory that wore the RNZAF Roundel in

4 positions (as in US aircraft) - they were loan aircraft, from USMC/MAG, until the TBF-1c/F4U-1 came to the forward

areas.

All other RNZAF Aircraft both forward Pacific areas and at home in New Zealand wore roundels in

6 positions (including RNZAF SBD-4's in forward areas)

Check out this RNZAF P40 (Gloria Lyons NZ3220)

MUS950102a.t5f7772ab.m800.xpf0Ky0FT.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - Used with Permissions)

RNZAF P40 at Odonga New Georgia

PR2016.t5ebd9d9c.m800.xIjUx55e_.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - used with Permissions)

Regards

Alan

Hey Alan!

More great info and thanks for the clarification on 25 Sq. Interesting schemes in the pictures you posted, with the lines coming off the insignia. Walk ways maybe? 

the P40 in the last picture at right, some very pale or white paint on the tail!

Thanks again for the help, shopping for more MRP now ;)

Brett

5 hours ago, Brett M said:

Interesting schemes in the pictures you posted, with the lines coming off the insignia. Walk ways maybe? 

the P40 in the last picture at right, some very pale or white paint on the tail!

Hi Brett,

The White Stripes and Tails were for Identification purposes, as the P40 bore (at a distance)

a similar plane form to the Japanese Ki 61 Hien (Tony)

Regards

Alan

On 11/26/2020 at 3:50 PM, Brett M said:

Surprisingly, they look fine. :mellow: I did the tail number and it really had no bleed on the edges (LOW air pressure and kept the airbrush completely straight while spraying). I'm happier now, ha!

Another ball dropped by me. I was meaning to tell you about masking over rivets but it looks like you found out by yourself. My first masking attempt was on the Revell FW190 F8 and the swastika on the vertical stab is painted over a rather prominent hinge, but using low pressure and keeping the airbrush perpendicular to the surface is the trick. 

Now my dilemma is painting those huge national insignias over the wing slats on my build. I might even try painting them on clear decal film and seeing how that works. I really don't want to use AM decals because I want the colors faded. 

1 hour ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Another ball dropped by me. I was meaning to tell you about masking over rivets but it looks like you found out by yourself. My first masking attempt was on the Revell FW190 F8 and the swastika on the vertical stab is painted over a rather prominent hinge, but using low pressure and keeping the airbrush perpendicular to the surface is the trick. 

Now my dilemma is painting those huge national insignias over the wing slats on my build. I might even try painting them on clear decal film and seeing how that works. I really don't want to use AM decals because I want the colors faded. 

Nah, no ball dropped. I just forgot about oramask and it's limits till I pulled them out of the box. Kabuki, no problem! At least we both came to the same solution :)

I'm wondering the same for my wings and the insignias as well. While I wait on paints to arrive, I can dwell on it :ph34r: