WnWs rumor

Fred Jack

I suspect each kit has a different value.  For example the Albatros DV, the Fokker DVII, Sopwith Camel and Pup, each will have substantial long term value.  Some of the others will as well as a result I suspect they will get split up.  For example if we get lucky Copper State will get a few of the key ones.  I would have a bid strategy and a budget and try to get some of the big ones and then see what happens possibly picking up a few others.  

Unless one big buyer comes in and takes it all, which I doubt, then it will be split up.  However, Copper State if they can come up with some money could really put themselves in a nice long term position with solid strategic buying.  Eduard could also do something like that.  So a few manufacturers may then split them up.  Projects like the Felix Stowe may be a real bargain as you might have to sit on that tooling a long time to make your money.  

Another issue we learned from Eduard, there are different grades of tooling.  I think Edward uses aluminum so if this is not high end tooling like Tamiya uses that will last 40 years, that may impair value as well.  We will see.  I do hope someone sees the light though and something good comes out of this.  Frankly I think letting WNW die is pretty stupid.  They really are at the point where done right they could be viable operating at a slower basis for many years.  Time will tell.  I just hope PJ does it buy it all and stick it in a warehouse.

My speculation, since everyone else has put their two cents in: PJ is closing down WNW because he is ticked off at the NZ government, but he also wants more control over everything. So he is buying the Trumpeter plant also and merging both companies, moving them to Dayton, OH into a new huge facility across the street from the USAF museum and vows to make a 1/32nd model of every aircraft in there! He decided to close WNW down a little early due to the virus, and the employees were left in the dark because all the pieces haven't fallen into place and contracts still need to be signed. Once the new company is formed, the employees will be offered a chance to work at the new company if they relocate to Dayton.

I am saying there's a good 50/50 chance this is all this is true. As it is true or it isn't, therefore 50/50. 

6 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

My speculation, since everyone else has put their two cents in: PJ is closing down WNW because he is ticked off at the NZ government, but he also wants more control over everything. So he is buying the Trumpeter plant also and merging both companies, moving them to Dayton, OH into a new huge facility across the street from the USAF museum and vows to make a 1/32nd model of every aircraft in there! He decided to close WNW down a little early due to the virus, and the employees were left in the dark because all the pieces haven't fallen into place and contracts still need to be signed. Once the new company is formed, the employees will be offered a chance to work at the new company if they relocate to Dayton.

I am saying there's a good 50/50 chance this is all this is true. As it is true or it isn't, therefore 50/50. 

I like that plan!!!

5 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Kind of like weather forecasters regarding rain, it may, or it may not;... and they're guaranteed to be right, either way.

11 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Kind of like weather forecasters regarding rain, it may, or it may not;... and they're guaranteed to be right, either way.

Unless you live in Dubai, where the British female radio announcer always says the forecast is "sunny and fair" and the temp never ever goes over 50c because that would stop construction.

I agree with one part of what LSP Ray said, I think PJ made some political enemies in NZ.  I read an article somewhere posted about the broader context including TVAL and regardless of what is true it sure sounds to me like he was not making the right friends anymore.  I also suspect TVAL was an epic money burner.  I saw a great video on the Albatros on youtube, Kermit Weeks or someone like that and he was speaking of how the got Mercedes DIII engines.  Kermit had one or two and TVAL reverse engineered them to make more.  Although I think WNW may have made some mistakes, I suspect the real problems are broader.  

My guess is Eastern Europe, Czech Republic, or Ukraine.  Prolly do it as good as China and nearly as cheap.  Too popular to sell off, just bought my first 3 kits this weekend, Immelman, Goering, & Barker with figures.  Going to sit on them til the dust settles.

John

4 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Had to re-read this. Well like you say some of it could be true. Except Trumpeter and Ohio bit of course. But if he bought Trumpeter things are looking up re the quality - hey we might even see the Wingnuts team redo the B24, I'd be happy with that. I hope he's not pulling up stumps from NZ. But if he is then he's coming to Oz, not Ohio! We've appropriated plenty of other good stuff from our cross-Tasman chums. Sir  PJ load up a few containers and we'll put another shimp on the BBQ! (after restrictions have lifted of course)

Edited by Pup7309