Wow... WNW gone....

Markjames1968

1 hour ago, Radub said:

Those people may think that their WNW kits are "rare" and an "investment", but they are wrong. Only MINE are rare and a good investment. All the other thousands of people who own WNW kits will lose money. Not me though.  :D:D:D 

BTW, anyone want to buy a piece of the "true cross"? Only a few tens of thousands of people have such a piece. 

Radu 

They believe they do. Something mass produced only has relative 'rareness'. Peter Jackson 'broke the mould' when he brought out WNW. Unless he breaks his own moulds rareness will still be relative, and supply and demand will balance out. Dig it?

Edited by Pup7309

19 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

They believe they do. Something mass produced only has relative 'rareness'. Peter Jackson 'broke the mould' when he brought out WNW. Unless he breaks his own moulds rareness will still be relative, and supply and demand will balance out. Dig it?

Everything is produced in limited numbers. Everything is finite. WNW produced thousands of units of each kit. They may have been produced in a limited number (like any other kit) but that does not make them rare. The crazy prices? It is a bubble inflated by the perfect ratio of speculation and gullibility. Like all bubbles it will burst. How much are your Beanie Babies worth now? 

Radu

Their continuation is Great News! All good since I only bought the WNW kits I wanted (guess I like 'em since I have 40),

and only one I bought two of was Fokker DVII when at regular price since it can easily be converted with leftovers from

other DVII kits (have one of each issue). If after I am gone the family can get good $$ for them, Great.

I see it same as my original 1970 Chevelle SS 396. A car I wanted back in the 90's. Got it for $4,200. Now crazy stupid value.

I will never sell it so only value to me is for family. I personally dislike it's outrageous value since insurance and parts are pricey.

And can't just leave it parked wherever for however long... :unsure:

1 hour ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Their continuation is Great News! All good since I only bought the WNW kits I wanted (guess I like 'em since I have 40),

and only one I bought two of was Fokker DVII when at regular price since it can easily be converted with leftovers from

other DVII kits (have one of each issue). If after I am gone the family can get good $$ for them, Great.

I see it same as my original 1970 Chevelle SS 396. A car I wanted back in the 90's. Got it for $4,200. Now crazy stupid value.

I will never sell it so only value to me is for family. I personally dislike it's outrageous value since insurance and parts are pricey.

Awesome beast. I tend to like the '69 better myself, but had a pal that owned a '70 SS454, and it was outrageously cool. Monogram makes a cool kit of the '70 SS454 that I intend to soon add to the ol' stash. AMT makes it too, but I'm just guessing that the Monogram kit is better.

2 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

As a student I saw a fully restored purple '67 Valiant outside an Auto repairs for a few thousand. I really wanted it - reminded me of a matchbox car I loved as a kid. I had to pass it over as I didn't have the $ to buy or maintain, and nowhere to store it from break-in, auto theft or the elements. It's value now I wouldn't want to guess at.

If current WNW prices do stay up I'd be hesitant to build the kits! But they will be like all the Tulips out there, as soon the warehouse re-opens. But having the patience waiting and not knowing if and when that will happen...aaahhhh!

Edited by Pup7309

1 hour ago, Pup7309 said:

As a student I saw a fully restored purple '67 Valiant outside an Auto repairs for a few thousand. I really wanted it - reminded me of a matchbox car I loved as a kid. I had to pass it over as I didn't have the $ to buy or maintain, and nowhere to store it from break-in, auto theft or the elements. It's value now I wouldn't want to guess at.

Wanna take a stab at the current value of the '65 Shelby Mustang my mom owned when I was three? Makes me sick every time I look at the photo of me sitting on my tricycle beside it.

53 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

Wanna take a stab at the current value of the '65 Shelby Mustang my mom owned when I was three? Makes me sick every time I look at the photo of me sitting on my tricycle beside it.

Probably around $500,000.

This is way OT, but I know the feeling.  Back in the early 80's I longed for a Ferrari Dino 246 GT.  Then I saw two in a used car yard in Melbourne each going for AU$36,000.  Today, if you can find one, you'd be looking at around AU$600,000, give or take 100g.  And no, I didn't pick one up :BANGHEAD2:

Edited by Peter Browne

I have enough WNW kits to last my expected lifetime many times over at my incredibly rapid (not) rate of building. Just like Cleopatra, I am King o' Denial. But it feels so good to look at them sitting on the shelf in between the time that I obsess over the smallest detail in another kit that no one, especially someone with eyes as poor as mine, will ever see. Trust me, I have fully thought out plans for the amazing markings choices for each of those kits on the shelf and more plans of how I will add even more details... that no one will ever see. Oh well, that is what makes this hobby so much fun.

Be safe out there,

Tnarg