Wow... WNW gone....

Markjames1968

Then how is the internet archive and the Wayback Machine not violating copyright?  If WNW were to remove all the information on their site, wouldn’t a copy still be on the archive, without their express permission?  What’s the difference between that and keeping a copy on your own hard drive for personal use?

The Internet Archive is a digital library that has been in operation over 20 years preserving information on web sites the same way the Library of Congress preserves copies of most every book or magazine published since its inception. It is not at all the same as you or I copying a web site.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Then how is the internet archive and the Wayback Machine not violating copyright?  If WNW were to remove all the information on their site, wouldn’t a copy still be on the archive, without their express permission?  What’s the difference between that and keeping a copy on your own hard drive for personal use?

Those are valid questions.  I think they may be violating copyright by duplicating material without the author's explicit consent.  The Internet Archive Terms of Use explains their perspective on this.

There has certainly been a lot of concern about the Archive's 'book lending program' and breaching author's and publisher's copyright.

The difference between using the Internet Archive and downloading to your personal computer are:

• You don't have a copy of the material on your computer (browser caching debate if you must...), therefore you are not breaching copyright.
  • You don't need to download material and waste storage space and time.

Again, it's a personal call. I would rather spend the short amount of time I have on weekends modelling.  Back to the Wildcat.

Edited by Peter Browne

I was reading the article at the lending program link and I had to laugh as one of the authors cited as being upset is Chuck Wendig. Chuck is the author of a Star Wars book series who is most famous for being fired from Marvel for making a long series of tweets where he savagely and vulgarly attacked fans and wished for the murder of various groups he did not like. He doesn't want his books being given out for free because he needs every last penny he can squeeze out of them. They were a mediocre series to begin; I know plenty of SW fans who haven't even read them. The other two are niche writers who appeal to a less mainstream audience; they could all benefit from the exposure this program offers their works.

At any rate, it is an interesting insight into the problems that the intersection of the analog and digital creates. The publishing companies, like the music companies, have to understand that the way people consume media is changing drastically. The theaters are learning that now with the rise of streaming services.

On 5/2/2020 at 6:02 AM, 1to1scale said:

I would wait, I thought I read that they were going to honor orders before they shut down the ordering. PayPal usually gives you 90 days or more to file a claim, so you might as well wait until the last day, as you will never get that kit for $129 again.

Agreed wait to see if it’s sent, if not claim back

Just waiting for Sem-eye-monocoque-wingnut-Wings to be born and make make a 1/32 high-back Griffon recce Spittie and low-back Griffon fighter.

Phoenix-wingnut-Wings will make a 1/32 Walrus and 1/48 Sunderland III or V. And a 1/16th scale Albatros D.V and SE.5a.

You-Should-be-so-lucky will make a 1/48 Halifax B.III 

It's just whims and business, or wherever they intersect.

Tony 

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I asked about orders and received this today:

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in placing an order with WingNut Wings.

We just wanted to acknowledge receipt and confirm that we’ll be in touch when we’re in a position to resume sales.

Best wishes,

WingNut Wings

Yeh got that, pretty non-commital. 'when we’re in a position to resume sales' could happen, might not.

Sounds pretty much like they're going to sell off the remaining stock at some point then. I have 72 WNW kits in the stash, so I should be OK for a while - although I'd be tempted to get another Gotha G.IV and SE.5a, when the Ebay prices eventually drop.

14 minutes ago, vince14 said:

Sounds pretty much like they're going to sell off the remaining stock at some point then. I have 72 WNW kits in the stash, so I should be OK for a while - although I'd be tempted to get another Gotha G.IV and SE.5a, when the Ebay prices eventually drop.

Six years if you build one a month

42 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

Some crazy prices on Ebay at the moment

Those people may think that their WNW kits are "rare" and an "investment", but they are wrong. Only MINE are rare and a good investment. All the other thousands of people who own WNW kits will lose money. Not me though.  :D:D:D 

BTW, anyone want to buy a piece of the "true cross"? Only a few tens of thousands of people have such a piece. 

Radu