Wow... WNW gone....

Markjames1968

1 hour ago, Radub said:

I don't know why, but reading these threads about "PJ" I am getting a mental picture of a lawyer browsing a yacht catalogue.:)

Radu 

At the rate they're selling out, i'm thinking he's shopping for a private island

Matt 

5 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Right click on the thumbnail than select save target link and normally it works. When even that does not work on some web pages simply use the screenshot download function of Firefox. 

Thanks for suggestions Thierry but although I use Firefox as my engine, Right click gives me - open link in new tab, new window, private, & save link as, save to pocket, and copy link location. None of those save the pic, just allow a direct link to page. I was able to save a photo with screenshot download function a while back, but it then disappeared from selections! I tried that again another time and it was there, but each time I use it, it disappears. :unsure:

Edited by phasephantomphixer

1 hour ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Thanks for suggestions Thierry but although I use Firefox as my engine, Right click gives me - open link in new tab, new window, private, & save link as, save to pocket, and copy link location. None of those save the pic, just allow a direct link to page. I was able to save a photo with screenshot download function a while back, but it then disappeared from selections! I tried that again another time and it was there, but each time I use it, it disappears. :unsure:

Use 'save link as' and you will get the picture without problem! 

Hey guys..Did WNW not make comment on their site that all orders received before the announcement would be honored?

I have a 129.00 order in and was wondering if we should cancel through pay-pal...don't want to if they are going to send it..but don't know.

Thanks.

Edited by williamj

14 minutes ago, williamj said:

Hey guys..Did WNW not make comment on their site that all orders received before the announcement would be honored?

I have a 129.00 order in and was wondering if we should cancel through pay-pal...don't want to if they are going to send it..but don't know.

Thanks.

I would wait, I thought I read that they were going to honor orders before they shut down the ordering. PayPal usually gives you 90 days or more to file a claim, so you might as well wait until the last day, as you will never get that kit for $129 again.

7 hours ago, Chek said:

Alternatively to Thierry's suggestion, in Chrome, go to the Archive or Colour photos page of thumbnails, right click anywhere on it, choose 'view source'. on the menu.

Towards the bottom of the page of code used to construct the page in your browser you'll see a bunch of pairs of highlighted blue underlined active links ending .jpg.

One will be the small thumbnail the other the main photo. Click and save the photo that appears.

I just temporarily disable scripts, then save images as normal, resuming scripts once finished.

Just to note, downloading original website content is an infringement of copyright.

That said, there are numerous applications that will enable downloading of whole websites to your computer for offline browsing.  Just beware of the above.

Probably a better solution would be to use the non-profit internet archive, e.g. through WayBack Machine which contains archive snapshots of websites.  An example for the Wingnut Wings site is http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/

Click on the dates in the calendar that have coloured spots, they are the archive snapshots.   You can use the year scroller at the top of the page to go to any snapshot for the wingnuts site back to 2009, when that site came into being.

The archives are stored in the internet archive cloud, so they will be available even if the site or hosting server disappears from the InterWebs.

Can be an interesting exercise just looking at really old websites, for example the Apple site way back in 2000...

http://web.archive.org/web/20000711034053/http://www.apple.com/

Edited by Peter Browne

12 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

If your keyboard has a 'print screen' key, it will take a screenshot and place it on your 'clipboard'.

Open any image editor (like MS Paint) and hit Ctrl + V

f1mjNZk.jpg

Windows Key + Print Screen will also generate a screen shot, if you're a Windows user.

Crap... Somehow, I missed all of this. Its probably because I've been working full time doing the teaching classes from home thing. I'm not complaining, I have a job, something that a lot of people don't have in these times.

There were several WNW kits I wanted, like the ship's Camel and the postwar Bristol. Oh well... I have about 20 WNW kits in the stash and I'll survive. Trying to keep it all in perspective, while I am saddened by their closure, I'm more concerned about the workers and designers who are now out of work. We have them to thank, along with Sir Peter's cash, for the wonderful models. My hope is that someone who values what Wingnut made will buy the molds and continue producing these kits, perhaps reorganize the company and restart it in some form.  You have to wonder what else was in the development line. We know about the Lanc and the Fokker Triplane but what else could we have had?

Anyway, enjoy the kits while you can. Have fun building them and raise a glass to those who made it possible for us to have our fun. I will.

Bob

12 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

If your keyboard has a 'print screen' key, it will take a screenshot and place it on your 'clipboard'.

Open any image editor (like MS Paint) and hit Ctrl + V

f1mjNZk.jpg

If you hold down ALT while hitting Print Screen, it will screenshot the active window or tab only.

18 hours ago, Peter Browne said:

Just to note, downloading original website content is an infringement of copyright.

Most individual authors do not pursue legal action, and then only if the downloader is using the material for their own financial gain or to undermine the ability of the owner to profit from it.

If you download it yourself for personal use and do not distribute it in any way to others no one will care.

The industry giants like the music companies are a different story. They also have the money for the lawyers, which individuals don't always have.

4 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

Most individual authors do not pursue legal action, and then only if the downloader is using the material for their own financial gain or to undermine the ability of the owner to profit from it.

If you download it yourself for personal use and do not distribute it in any way to others no one will care.

The industry giants like the music companies are a different story. They also have the money for the lawyers, which individuals don't always have.

Yes, I do appreciate that.  But for some odd reason, I felt obliged, as a web developer, to point out the legal situation regarding copyright. If either parties don't care, that is for them.

Nevertheless, I think the main point was that the rush to download material, is just unnecessary and time consuming, given the existence of the internet archive (which goes back to the first websites) and Wayback Machine as shown in my post.

Back to modelling while I have the time...

Edited by Peter Browne