Wow... WNW gone....

Markjames1968

I guess the initial outlay has been taken care of as far as the design of the moulds goes. Just need to inject and get to market. Even if it came in a budget box with less attractive instructions you’d be still getting a first rate, accurate kit.

Edited by Pup7309

6 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

I guess we won’t see an Albatros BII again but plenty of D7s

Thats my guess, at least in the short term but the moulds will always be there - unless they get junked. My understanding was that Sir P had the moulds made out of the best material and they must have thousands of sprues left in them - who has  seen flash on a Wingnut kit?

Just now, SimonCornes said:

Thats my guess, at least in the short term but the moulds will always be there - unless they get junked. My understanding was that Sir P had the moulds made out of the best material and they must have thousands of sprues left in them - who has  seen flash on a Wingnut kit?

True that. If they were his baby it’s hard to see him let them go. 

1 minute ago, Pup7309 said:

I guess the initial outlay has been taken care of as far as the design of the moulds goes. Just need to inject and get to market. Even if it came in a budget box with less attractive instructions you’d be still getting a first rate, accurate kit.

Totally agree. I'm not precious about boxes or instructions, in fact I've downloaded all of the Wingnut instruction sheets for kits that I might like to build one day but don't have now,  just in case that resource disappears. It costs nothing but time and computer space so I would recommend it!

Well, I grabbed all the archive photo's I needed, so I may as well start on the instructions before the site disappears. Well done on achiveing the "hot topic" award Pup, we will host a vitual award ceremony for you :beer4:

Edited by europapete
spelling

16 minutes ago, europapete said:

Well, I grabbed all the archive photo's I needed, so I may as well start on the instructions before the site disappears. Well done on achiveing the "hot topic" award Pup, we will host a vitual award ceremony for you :beer4:

Appears some here on forums upset about WNW discussion so I guess wait until the companies conclusion - meanwhile, how do you grab the Archive photos? I can't even get screengrab to function there

9 minutes ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Appears some here on forums upset about WNW discussion so I guess wait until the companies conclusion - meanwhile, how do you grab the Archive photos? I can't even get screengrab to function there

Right click on the thumbnail than select save target link and normally it works. When even that does not work on some web pages simply use the screenshot download function of Firefox. 

2 hours ago, SimonCornes said:

Re-popped by Hannants a couple of years ago and sold at around £50 apiece I think it was. I assume Hannants sold out eventually?

They don't show in their catalogue.  Repopped in 2015.

1 hour ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Alternatively to Thierry's suggestion, in Chrome, go to the Archive or Colour photos page of thumbnails, right click anywhere on it, choose 'view source'. on the menu.

Towards the bottom of the page of code used to construct the page in your browser you'll see a bunch of pairs of highlighted blue underlined active links ending .jpg.

One will be the small thumbnail the other the main photo. Click and save the photo that appears.

5 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Give me one example of molds produced during the last decades that were not used anymore at one moment or another. As far as I know, this occured commonly in the toy market but not in the model kit industry. With regard to the prohibitive cost, I do not get the point. Why is it more expensive to produce them than others? The demand is obviously lower but the production costs are noy higher. Last, keep in mind molds generally do not move because of the size and weight. They stay in the factory (in China) . So, I seriously doubt they will collect dust for many years. Any other owner will pay less than the initial investment to get them. So they will not face the same issues. 

You're assuming that PJ will be forced to dispose of the molds but it appears that this is a voluntary company closure (not bankruptcy or liquidation), which if so would mean it's down to the Company Director what he wants to do with the remaining assets. He might want to sell the molds, but he also might want to leave them gathering dust because he plans to re-launch WNW in future. He might even have them destroyed to prevent another company cashing in on them and diluting the WNW legacy. Hell, he might have them shipped to NZ to sit rusting on his front lawn for the next 50 years - he can certainly afford to do so.

No-one knows what will happen with WNW or the molds right now, so we can't just assume the kits will re-appear again in future under a different name.

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

I seriously doubt Peter Jackson is stupid. He knows such assets will only generate money if used. 

He’s worth over $250m, and WNW was essentially a vanity project that we all got to share in. I seriously doubt he’ll be heading down the food bank if he doesn’t sell the molds.