1998 Shelf of Doom Rescue (1/48 Hasegawa Bf109F/G-2) FINISHED and RFI

Greg W

7 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Good technique!! I'll have to give that a try.

I think it is a great technique that gets a good result quickly, once you have figured it out. Also, it helps to let the oil paint dry on the model before beginning to wipe it away. More so for artists oils than Abtietilung 502. Try letting it sit for 45 min. before removal. However, I did not let the oil paint dry before removing it in my headrest example but it does give someone trying it out for the first time a little more control. I use AK Interactive Odorless Thinner or Ammo of Mig Odorless Thinner to clean up the over painted areas that always occur with this method. The oil paint gets spread around when removing it but it cleans up easily with the odorless thinner. The odorless thinner dries fast too.

I have enjoyed experimenting with this. Try doing black leather as well. Start with brown and then paint over it with black oil paint. Brown and black leather are good for perfecting the technique. Once you begin to like the results your getting, try something like red or green leather. 

Greg

Edited by GDW

52 minutes ago, JT68 said:

Nice work all round going on here Greg!

This is turning into a little beauty.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Hi Jeff, nice to hear from somebody down under, thanks for the compliment!

We will see how well I do with the paint job shortly. I am pretty rusty regarding free hand camouflage jobs, so time to get the paint mule out. Most of my airbrushing is done with a Badger 150 but recently, I picked up a Mr. Hobby PS-770 which I am looking forward to using in a big way on this. 

Greg

On 7/8/2020 at 4:48 PM, mustang1989 said:

Pullin' out all the stops on this build aren'tcha? This is really turning into a winner.....QU

If memory serves me correctly doesn't Verlinden do something along those lines? 

Yes, thanks for reminding me! Just looked it up. Although it is designed for the Hasegawa Bf 109E3 E4/7 kit, it does include the add on armor in photoetch. 

Paint! RLM 76 is on the airframe. This session was especially nice because I have a new spray booth, which I'm sorry to say took me way to long to buy. Should have bought it years ago. All of the models I have posted on LSP were painted with Tamiya acrylics under the ceiling fan in my bathroom. Not a good set up. Now I can airbrush enamel and lacquer products until my heart's content. It's a game changer which makes using an airbrush much more enjoyable.

50118454003_f1c80d60ed_k.jpg

The stand is a soldering jig stuck to a plastic box with double sided tape. This way I can turn and rotate the model without touching it. A needle file inserted into brass tube is held by the clamps. The file rotates in the tube while the clamp keeps the file stationary.

50119244832_df8bc8f5bf_k.jpg

50119020611_f68306f7d7_k.jpg

50119022046_a8089f28b0_k.jpg

50118456363_65235fdba6_k.jpg

Edited by GDW

• 2 months later...

I am happy to be able to make a new post on this thread because I lost this model. The kit box was too small for the assembled airframe, so I packed it in a separate box when I moved in August. After a lot of searching, I finally found it. 

Onward and upward.

Now, I am working to improve my ability to airbrush free hand. I am thinking that if I can do well on a 1:48 subject, 1:32 should be no problem. After hearing about the recently reformulated Mr. Hobby Aqueous paint, I ordered some up and gave it a try.  

50473740001_41842ae8f1_b.jpg

I started out, thinning it 1:1 with leveling thinner. That worked ok for general coverage but not for fine work. Kept thinning it down until I got a good result with lower pressure. Pressure was 15psi at the tank, dialed back at the airbrush using the built in MAC valve. I think the paint is great. The result, which is less than I had hoped for is just down to my inexperience. I will go back and do some touch ups with RLM 76 and continue to practice and learn. The overspray at the right wing root happened because I neglected to change the paint and air pressure settings after doing general work on the wing. Pretty rough but a good start learning to use this fantastic paint and my new airbrush, a Mr. Hobby PS-770. Would like to know if any of you are spraying Mr. Hobby Aqueous (new formulation) with isopropyl alcohol. 

50473741686_7ee91bb884_b.jpg

50473743611_394a9fd559_b.jpg

Edited by GDW

20 hours ago, mpk said:

Thanks for the heads up regarding Albion alloy. I just bought the tubes. :goodjob:

I am glad you picked some up, they are one of my favorite supplies to have on hand. It is the precise way in which they fit together that I like so much. I suggest buying a wide variety of the telescoping tube packs so you that you have the sizes you need, when you want them. I picked up both aluminum and brass tubing sets to round out my supply. 

Below, the first two pictures show a piece of fine aluminum tube that I formed with a piece of wire inside of it, in order to make a ejection seat handle. The wire was also part of one of my Albian Alloys aluminum telescoping tube variety packs. It prevented the tube from collapsing when being shaped (sorry for the junky photo).

I have found all sorts of uses for these and you will too.

20180812_154903

20180912_022907

20200630_233416

20201006_235706

20201006_235602

20190301_210633

20190301_211015

Edited by GDW

14 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Nice score on that Veriinden update set. I don't see many of these being used much these days.

Yeah, that was a find. I haven't found any other photo etch add on armor like that in 1:48, which seems odd. Fortunately, RB Productions does one in 1:32.