Good Decals?

Peter Browne

For many years I have collected decals from different brands in addition to seeing what happens with the decals that come with the kits.  Practically all western kit manufacturers concentrate the production of their decals with Cartograf, but one thing that I have seen in the decals made there is that over the years they turn yellow, it is practically impossible to use the decals made for Hasegawa and Tamiya, which are already yellow in the box, while decals printed in Microscale for more than 30 years are still as new.

I discovered that this was because unlike the other manufacturers, which print the clear film as the last layer of printing on the decal, Microscale first prints the clear film and so all the colors over it, in this way even though the film turns yellow, the Decal colors are not affected.

That detail was what made me decide to print the FCM decals with Microscale, and I have been very satisfied in these ten years of partnership. :coolio:

Just want to put my two cents worth in w.r.t. Microscale. They have been printing all my decals for many years and I have been completely satisfied with the quality. They are opaque and settle down beautifully. Registration, especially in the last ten years or so, has been excellent. I look at ALL the sheets when I receive them and these days, I might have to toss out 2 or 3 out of 500 ... really. I get a lot of positive feedback about my decals. I haven't used Cartograph as a printer but I have seen their results and they are also very good. But Microscale, they are the gold standard as far as I am concerned. 

Mike Belcher, Belcher Bits

Both Cartograf and Microscale are among by favorite decals!

Never had any issues with these, they are always perfectly printed, nice saturated colors, can stand a lot of fumbling around, they snuck down in every panel line and conforms to every curve!

Warm water and a little of Micro-set and -sol is all you need.

Simply put, top notch decals!  :thumbsup:

Edited by Phantom2

5 hours ago, belcherbits said:

Just want to put my two cents worth in w.r.t. Microscale. They have been printing all my decals for many years and I have been completely satisfied with the quality. They are opaque and settle down beautifully. Registration, especially in the last ten years or so, has been excellent. I look at ALL the sheets when I receive them and these days, I might have to toss out 2 or 3 out of 500 ... really. I get a lot of positive feedback about my decals. I haven't used Cartograph as a printer but I have seen their results and they are also very good. But Microscale, they are the gold standard as far as I am concerned. 

Mike Belcher, Belcher Bits

Hi Mike.  Great to see you here.  I'm looking forward to doing the Revell 1/48 PBY-5A with your fabulous aftermarket tail that fixes the full nappy look in that Cat!

Edited by Peter Browne

• 2 weeks later...