LSP Cockpits

Uncarina

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Nice work Michael! The ZM kit I presume?

Cheers,  Tom

Yes, Tom.  It is indeed the Z-M kit, together with the Z-M/Eduard etch set for the A-12 trainer version.  An interesting, if challenging, kit.  See here if interested.

Cheers,

Michael

3 minutes ago, amurray said:

I would love to attend a workshop on canopy detailing.

To all of you I can only say,

"I am unworthy of such accomplishment!":bow:

i would also love to attand some kind of cockpit zoom conference.

i just dont know how you guys dont get blobby messes of superglue around the details., and how on earth you get the seat belts to look so natural is beyond me

great photo and kits guys love it

• 3 weeks later...

Tamiya's A6M2. This is from an ancient shelf of doom occupant, since resurrected, Mitsubishi-built:

qllhtyv.jpg

g4Y8RQ6.jpg

YDvkxZ6.jpg

JSWeZp5.jpg

Gu4GfUs.jpg

EacQAWC.jpg

Xek678k.jpg

41607zG.jpg

tZnNLcU.jpg

EgQqwkW.jpg

Currently I'm planning to build her as PO1c Tetsuzo Iwamoto's aircraft.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

That is one awesome looking pit Tom.  The Quinta set really adds a lot to the cockpit; I will have to try a set on a future build.  I think the throttle markings look fine; once everything is closed up the brightness will help make it standout and not disappear.

Are you going to depict one of the aircraft Iwomoto flew while assigned to the Zuikakau's Air Group Dec 41 - May 42, or while he was assigned to Rabaul's 253rd Air Group, Nov 43 - (circa) Jun 44?

Ernest 

Edited by Greif8
spelling

6 hours ago, Gerhard said:

Simply superb!!!!

That’s very kind of you Gerhard!

5 hours ago, Greif8 said:

That is one awesome looking pit Tom.  The Quinta set really adds a lot to the cockpit; I will have to try a set on a future build.  I think the throttle markings look fine; once everything is closed up the brightness will help make it standout and not disappear.

Are you going to depict one of the aircraft Iwomoto flew while assigned to the Zuikakau's Air Group Dec 41 - May 42, or while he was assigned to Rabaul's 253rd Air Group, Nov 43 - (circa) Jun 44?

Ernest 

Thank you Ernest! The set certainly does. The clarity of the details of the instruments for example. Other things like the wiring and seatbelts just save a lot of time. The set wasn’t a perfect match for the AK Real Colors Mitsubishi Green that I used, so I used a diluted application over the instrument panel and other surfaces.

I was planning on building his aircraft when he flew from the Zuikaku at the Battle of Santa Cruz. Eduard makes a decal set (with great background information), and I’m planning to use this to make masks for the markings.

Cheers,  Tom

Following are a few shots of my latest "in progress" build, the 1/32 Trumpeter TBF-1c Avenger.  I bought this kit second hand and it came with a Black Box A/M cockpit.  I used some of those items along with some of the kit parts.  To be honest, though the Black Box stuff looks very nice (at least the parts that did not have excessive resin "blobs" on them) given the fiddily nature of getting everything placed correctly and fit, I think the kit parts would have been just as nice.  I have the IP provisionally tacked into place as I am still working through getting the Sun glare shield that goes in front of it fit - a job that has made me walk away a couple of times thus far!  At any rate, below are some shots of the very nearly completed cockpit.

Ernest

IMG_4086

IMG_4087

IMG_4088

IMG_4090

Doh!! I need to touch up a spot of yellow over paint on the seat pan!  Missed that one while inspecting my work!

IMG_4092

I tried to give the leather a beat up appearance, and at normal viewing distance the rather abrupt transitions look the part.