1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G-14 Hartmann Double Chevron

Thunnus

Very nice, John.

IMG-8327.jpg

The larger of the two hatches here toward the left, should have a 'push-button' disc on it.  The one forward, on the cowling, also.  You'll notice about 10 of them, maybe 12, on the wing bottoms, and 4 of them underneath on the fuselage, south of the tear-drop shaped retaining nut cap.  These 'push-buttons' can be found on the two hatches at the port wing root.  One hatch has 2, the other 1.  In case you're interested.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Vincent
1 hour ago, dodgem37 said:

Very nice, John.

IMG-8327.jpg

The larger of the two hatches here toward the left, should have a 'push-button' disc on it.  The one forward, on the cowling, also.  You'll notice about 10 of them, maybe 12, on the wing bottoms, and 4 of them underneath on the fuselage, south of the tear-drop shaped retaining nut cap.  These 'push-buttons' can be found on the two hatches at the port wing root.  One hatch has 2, the other 1.  In case you're interested.

Sincerely,

Mark

They are not really disc push buttons but the end of release lock is raised and serrated :

WW2-German-Luftwaffe-Cockpit-BAGGAGE-HAT

Edited by Vincent

Per Vincent K's comment on the brake lines, I've made adjustments.
IMG-8395.jpg

The fit of the wings wasn't as good as on the Hasegawa K-4 build and I had to do a bit of wrasslin' to minimize the gaps.
IMG-8396.jpg
IMG-8397.jpg

The flexing of the wings during the attachment process jarred loose both canvas liners in the wheel wells.  I kinda like the look without them in place so I might just leave them off.
IMG-8398.jpg
IMG-8399.jpg
IMG-8400.jpg

I'll spend at least the next few days filling and sanding the wing joints to get them to look presentable.

Thanks for checking in!  We're getting closer to the painting stage.  I think I can add the base for the DF loop antenna as Hartmann's machine only has the base and not the loop.
IMG-8437.jpg

I've been working on the wing/fuselage joints and have gotten them very close to the acceptable stage.  I've painted the masked clear parts in RLM 66 Dark Grey.  I'll go over this with black just to ensure that the frames are 100% opaque.  I'm really liking the Mr Primer Surfacer 1000.  It sprays much much better than the plain Mr Surfacer 1000... give it a shot if you need a primer.
IMG-8451.jpg
IMG-8450.jpg
IMG-8452.jpg

The tail stabilizers are checked for fit.  Since they fit very well, I like leaving them off to simplify the painting process.  
IMG-8454.jpg

Just a few minor touchups to the wing/fuselage joints and she'll be ready for painting.
IMG-8455.jpg

I've painted the interiors of the landing gear doors and clamshell flaps so that I can paint the exteriors at the same time as the main aircraft.  I experimented with using a random splatter template to create some staining effects.
IMG-8458.jpg

Back to work on the G-14!  In preparation for painting, I've treated the wing root fairing in a sandy color as they were commonly made of wood.  I've sprayed the wing root area with hairspray to do some chipping after the base camo colors are established.  I've had some difficulty using this technique on AK Real Colors paints so we'll just have to see how it goes.  If I don't get any chipping at this stage, that's fine as the white will cover much of this anyway.
IMG-8566.jpg

While the hairspray dries, I'm going to preshade the other external components.
IMG-8568.jpg
IMG-8569.jpg

All of the preshading is black.  First, the panel lines.
IMG-8570.jpg
IMG-8571.jpg

Next is the mottle to establish some tonal variation.  I've decided not to mottle the upper surfaces as the white wash is going to cover it anyway.  There are other ways I can establish some tonal variation in post painting.
IMG-8572.jpg
IMG-8573.jpg

The first color to applied is RLM 76 Light Blue.  I am using the AK Real Color Version 2 of this shade, thinned with Tamiya Acrylic Thinner thinned with 2 parts thinner for 1 part paint.  Thin mixes are key using this preshading technique.
IMG-8574.jpg
IMG-8575.jpg
IMG-8576.jpg

The color is built up slowly, layer by layer, dialing in the amount of preshading that is desired.
IMG-8578.jpg
IMG-8579.jpg

The light blue is extended up onto the fuselage sides.
IMG-8580.jpg
IMG-8581.jpg

After the light blue is finished, the upper camo is painted.  Again, I'm using AK Real Colors versions of RLM 74 and RLM 75 for the upper camo.  Like the RLM 76, the RLM 75 is thinned 2:1.  For whatever reason, the RLM 74 worked better with an even thinner 3:1 mix.
IMG-8582.jpg
IMG-8583.jpg
IMG-8584.jpg

During painting, I've discovered that some of the wing joints and vertical tail joint have cracked.  So I've re-glued them and will perform some clean-up before proceeding.  Next will be mottling on the fuselage.