1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G-14 Hartmann Double Chevron

Thunnus

10 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Good show, John.

Being raised in Virginia I too had painted nails and wood paneling just like that!

Sincerely,

Mark

Not that there is anything wrong with that but... painted nails were not a part of my childhood memories! :)

The clear parts have been dipped in Future, which does a good job of (a) hiding any micro scratches and scuffs and (b) protecting against any potential frosting caused by CA and Tamiya Extra Thin cement.  After I finish attaching all of the cockpit details including the Revi 16B gun sight, I'll glue the clear parts into place in the closed position.
IMG-8283.jpg
IMG-8284.jpg

The Barracuda spinner, which I used on my last build, has some nice hub detail molded within the openings.  After the recess is painted black, I've picked out the detail in metallic grey.
IMG-8281.jpg

The spinner is sprayed gloss white as a base for the white spiral.  The mask is custom cut using the Silhouette Portrait and is based on a EagleCal spiral decal I have from a previous build.  This is actually the second try.  The first coat of white revealed a slight casting imperfection on the surface of the spinner that I couldn't ignore so I wiped off the paint and smoothed the spinner out.
IMG-8286.jpg

The spinner is then sprayed gloss black.
IMG-8287.jpg

I'm so excited to see the results, I usually remove masks minutes after spraying.  Which is usually not a problem with quick-drying acrylic paints but it would be safer to pull the masks after the paint has had time to cure.
IMG-8288.jpg

This time my impatience probably caused some rough edges on the spiral that I'm not going to address since this will be covered in a white overspray.  I am assuming that Hartmann's machine HAD a spinner spiral before the white winter camo was applied.
IMG-8290.jpg

The blending in of the Barracuda oil cooler intake has been completed.  The initial fill using Milliput was topped off with some Mr Surfacer 1000.
IMG-8294.jpg
IMG-8295.jpg

The area was coated with a primer.  I've just started using Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 as a primer, thinned with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner.  It seems to be a little smoother and provide more consistent coverage than the Mr Surfacer 1200 that I was using previously.
IMG-8296.jpg
IMG-8297.jpg

10 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Great work blending in the oil cooler, and the spinner is excellent.

Wasn't there a panel line there next to the oil cooler?  Guessing it's not needed for this version?

Matt 

165227.23.jpg

165227.22.jpg

Yes, I believe there is a panel line there and I'm debating whether or not to scribe new one since I had to fill the existing one due to the width of the Barracuda oil cooler.  The new panel line would essentially run down where my rivet line is.  Scribing is challenging enough without having to run one over a set of holes.

Will the canopy be open or closed on this one John?  

Sprue Brothers had the Bf 109G-14 on sale this week for $34 USD.  If I didn’t have a trunk load of these kits already I would’ve ordered one. My all time favorite kit in 1:32.   

Cant wait to see some color on this one.  

4 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

Will the canopy be open or closed on this one John?  

Sprue Brothers had the Bf 109G-14 on sale this week for $34 USD.  If I didn’t have a trunk load of these kits already I would’ve ordered one. My all time favorite kit in 1:32.   

Cant wait to see some color on this one.  

Canopy will be closed on this one like most of my builds.  There's a small chance that I would consider showing a sliding canopy in the open position but I don't like spoiling the lines of the 109 with that side-opening canopy.

Guest Vincent

Remember one thing : when the Erla canopy is closed without being locked (which would be the case if you don't add a pilot), the antenna wire will be sagging. The wire got tensionned by the canopy locking lever

Just so that you don't forget !

Vincent

Guest Vincent
11 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Great work blending in the oil cooler, and the spinner is excellent.

Wasn't there a panel line there next to the oil cooler?  Guessing it's not needed for this version?

Matt 

Problem is that the Barracuda oil cooler is a bit too wide in scale. I would rather modify the Hasegawa part which is correct has far as width is concerned

7 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Damn nice-looking cockpit, John.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks so much Mark!  That's the MDC resin cockpit so there isn't much that I added except paint!

2 hours ago, Vincent said:

Remember one thing : when the Erla canopy is closed without being locked (which would be the case if you don't add a pilot), the antenna wire will be sagging. The wire got tensionned by the canopy locking lever

Just so that you don't forget !

Vincent

I assume this is not the case with this particular aircraft since it lacks the antenna mast and the aerial wire goes from the tail directly to the fuselage behind the canopy? Aerial wire looks taut and the canopy is open.

Hartman-109-G-6-Photo2.jpg

2 hours ago, Vincent said:

Problem is that the Barracuda oil cooler is a bit too wide in scale. I would rather modify the Hasegawa part which is correct has far as width is concerned

Could it possibly be that the Hasegawa part is too narrow?  Anyways... I've done what I've done and I am ok with it.

Guest Vincent
3 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hey Vincent, so that would be the case with the short antennae mast since

locking the canopy shoves it forward maybe a half an inch ??

Just curious.

Yes

On machines with the Erla canopy and the short wooden mast mounted on it, the antenna wire is sagging when the canopy is unlocked