1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G-14 Hartmann Double Chevron

Thunnus

On 5/13/2020 at 12:09 PM, Thunnus said:

I have some aftermarket pieces coming in from Australia and it looks like the shipment has been delayed.  This includes the RB Productions Bf109G wheel well set.  I really can't move forward without getting the wings done so I may have to go into wait mode on the G-14 for a while.

We're a bit slooooow down here John! That pit looks fantastic in place, beautiful work.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Vincent
7 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Since it's not a G-14AS, I'd use Henri's G-6 blades. I like the over-spray on the blade roots.

Looking great!

Cheers,

Damian

Indeed, regular G2/G4/G6 blades

Thanks for the confirmation guys!  That's what I thought but blades in the photo looked a bit wide.

After a long shipping delay, I finally received my "care package" from Kahunaminor. Thanks so much Kent!
IMG-8225.jpg

The next order of business would be the wheel wells but I'm not quite ready to jump in with the sawing/cutting yet so let's take a look at some of the other upgrades.  The shape of the kit oil cooler intake is a little off... too straight-sided.
IMG-8227.jpg

The Barracuda replacement is designed for the Revell G-6 kit so I was curious to see if I could get it to fit the Hasegawa model.  Looks like a very good match!  You can readily see the differences between the kit and resin parts.
IMG-8228.jpg

Also included is the Barracuda G-6 prop and spinner upgrade.
IMG-8229.jpg

The shape of the kit spinner is a little too bulbous and has incorrectly shaped openings for the prop blades.
IMG-8230.jpg
IMG-8232.jpg

I'm not quite into full modeling mode right now.  With that part of my brain not fully engaged, I stuck with something simple to while away my lunch hour and removed the casting block from the back of the spinner.  
IMG-8233.jpg

A hole will need to be drilled out in the center.

Guest Vincent

I think the Barracuda oil cooler fairing is a bit too large for that kit : the fairing should not overlap the panel line. Perhaps the best option would be to rescribe them ?

Thanks guys! Before I give an update on this build, I wanted to share this photo that my wife had on her phone.  I must be around 10-12 years old... early 70's in Virginia.  Building a model with some fishing rods in waiting behind me.  Some things never change!  :D
1223161348a.jpg

I spent the weekend wrestling the RB Productions 109G-6 wheel wells into place.  First step was to glue the small wheel bumps into place and fill the locating tabs as they can be seen through the open wheel well.
IMG-8235.jpg

Some preliminary removals were in order... the raised wheel well detail on the inside surface of the top wing and the wheel well walls from the wing bottoms.  The removals are described in detail on the RB Productions instruction sheet, which is very detailed but the details in the photos, which are probably copies of copies of copies, are sometimes difficult to discern.
IMG-8236.jpg

A bending tool like this Small Shops Bug isn't absolutely necessary but is very useful in making folding easier and more uniform.
IMG-8240.jpg

Some bends take a little creativity and for this tricky u-bend, I used a strand of stiff plastic from a hairbrush to form the "u" around.
IMG-8241.jpg

The roof of the wheel well features several layers of brass to help increase the visual depth of the enhancement set.
IMG-8242.jpg
IMG-8245.jpg

It usually takes a few iterations of fitting and shaving plastic to get these things into place properly.  The main thing is to take your time and not force the brass since the pieces are quite thin and delicate.
IMG-8246.jpg

Once the fit is figured out, you can see how the new wheel wells look in place.  I've elected to keep the u-shaped trough that houses the landing gear legs in plastic rather than using the brass piece.  The oval openings were drilled out.
IMG-8247.jpg

The PE set provides an optional canvas covering that you sometimes see in the wheel wells of the Bf109.  I think I'm going to use them, if I can work them into place.  There is some inconsistency with the fit of the rear wheel well wall that the canvas cover will conveniently hide.
IMG-8251.jpg

What?  No one likes the retro pic?  Too personal? :D  Ok... back to business...

I fiddled with the resin prop yesterday.  I used a piece of aluminum tube to serve as the prop shaft.
IMG-8252.jpg

The Barracuda jig that helps line up the prop blades to spinner also comes with a guide to center the hole in the back of the prop.  The hole came out a little messy but it is centered.
IMG-8253.jpg

The prop assembly is a friction fit so that I can remove it for shipping.
IMG-8254.jpg

IMG-8255.jpg

The blades still need to be removed from their casting blocks and cleaned up.
IMG-8256.jpg

Jumping over to the wings, I noticed a nice manufacturing touch... Hasegawa thoughtfully prints the part number on the back of the radiator faces.  Saves me the trouble of scratching them on myself.
IMG-8258.jpg

The wheels wells were primed using Mr Primer Surfacer 1000.  The packaging states that it can be used on metal surfaces.
IMG-8259.jpg

I then sprayed the wheel wells RLM 02 Grey over a black base just to try and get some tonal depth.
IMG-8263.jpg

I added a small drainage pipe to the front edge of the oil cooler intake.  The intake has been riveted.
IMG-8262.jpg

Edited by Thunnus
Postimage cleanup!

The picture was great!   Two passions caught on camera.   Just tied up all afternoon with the wife’s projects.   I did manage to spray some black on a Dora 9 spinner.   That was done on my five minute union break she allowed me to have between cutting down Palm tree leafs.   

Wings look awesome as usual.  

Troy

On 6/8/2020 at 3:42 AM, Troy Molitor said:

The picture was great!   Two passions caught on camera.   Just tied up all afternoon with the wife’s projects.   I did manage to spray some black on a Dora 9 spinner.   That was done on my five minute union break she allowed me to have between cutting down Palm tree leafs.   

Wings look awesome as usual.  

Troy

A Dora build???? Do tell!  Is it the Hasegawa 1/32 scale kit?

Some fill work around the oil cooler intake...
IMG-8273.jpg
IMG-8274.jpg

The wings have been glued together.
IMG-8276.jpg

Test fitting the wings to the fuselage...
IMG-8277.jpg
IMG-8278.jpg

The canvas covers have been glued into place...
IMG-8279.jpg
IMG-8280.jpg

John,

It''s like wishing this was my build going on here!  LOL.  John, you make magic with Lufty things.  My favorite subjects.  The gear~wheels are awesome. 

Well done my friend.  

Love the earlier period picture too. Perhaps your wife's manicure /color too?  Please give her my kindest regards!  Ha.  

P.S. Sport fishing is also a Nobel second profession, however don't quit your second day job!   

Troy 

On 6/8/2020 at 1:48 PM, Thunnus said:

What?  No one likes the retro pic?  Too personal? :D  Ok... back to business...

Love the pic! Gives me flashbacks - my workbench as a kid was also the floor with newspaper spread out!

Wheel wells look terrific BTW!