1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G-14 Hartmann Double Chevron

Thunnus

Looking good John.  

I still prefer the Hasegawa 109 kit’s over the Revell offering.  The fit is amazing on the Hasegawa kit even if it’s much older than the Revell example.   The MDC cockpit is also my favorite go-to aftermarket cockpit.   

Thanks guys!  Slow going on the G-14.  Taking my sweet time with it.  I've spend alot of time on the fuselage seam.  Filling it first and then re-scribing the line separating the right and left halves.  Why go through the trouble of removing the joint when you end up re-scribing it?  Because it has to look like a panel line and not a glue joint!  I'm not precise enough in my cementing process to get a clean line in most cases so this is the only way I can get a relatively neat panel line.  I've also finished off the riveting along the joints.
IMG-7751.jpg

The gun cowling, which has also been riveted, is glued into place.  Pretty clean with a few gaps that will need to be filled with White Milliput.
IMG-7747.jpg
IMG-7748.jpg

The characteristic gun bulges have been riveted.  I've also scribed a secondary panel line on the bulges to match the fuselage.  The bumps have not been glued into place yet.
IMG-7749.jpg
IMG-7750.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

I have a spare supercharger intake from Barracuda but it is for Revell kit and is every so slightly undersized.
IMG-7752.jpg

The kit supercharger fits much better so I've replaced the damaged weld line (Hasegawa stupidly put TWO sprue attachment points on the weld line) with stretched sprue.
IMG-7753.jpg

I've also added some bolt details to the front face of the intake.
IMG-7754.jpg

The gun cowling has been glued into place but there is a slight gap at the rear.  It's very narrow and not very noticeable but I like all of my panel lines to have a finite "bottom" for visual consistency.
IMG-7755.jpg

A great way to address these lengthy narrow gaps is Milliput.  Milliput is a two-part epoxy that comes in different grades of fineness.  I use White which is the finest grade.  It has the consistency of clay so it has different uses than liquid putties.  You just pinch off two equal sized bits of putty and knead them together until they are one uniform color.
IMG-7756.jpg
IMG-7757.jpg

I use the tip of a toothpick to apply the putty.  Turning the toothpick tip can help force the putty into the crack.
IMG-7758.jpg

Work your way down the crack until it is completely filled.  You can take your time because Milliput is a very slow cure epoxy and won't start hardening for at least 30 minutes. This is the stage where most putty applications end.  Normally, you can wait until this dries and then start sanding away.  But this is where Milliput really shines.
IMG-7759.jpg

Wet your finger and start rubbing along the putty application,  Water will cut into the Milliput, simultaneously removing and smoothing the putty.
IMG-7760.jpg

I want to remove the excess so I switch to a piece of damp paper towel and continue to rub down the area.  Depending on how aggressive you rub, you can remove the putty until it is level with the surrounding plastic or even below it.  This joint is a panel line so I'm not trying to eliminate the gap, just put a consistent bottom to it.
IMG-7761.jpg
IMG-7762.jpg

After the application, this area will need no further attention.  No sanding required.  You can do this type of thing with other putties but you may have to use some sort of solvent instead of water.

I decided to give the fuselage a dark wash just to check my riveting work since it was so hard to see.  I think I need a new rivet wheel as this one seems dull and does not penetrate the plastic as well as when it was new.  I couldn't find any RB Production Rivet-R's in stock so I ordered another brand.
IMG-7769.jpg
IMG-7770.jpg
IMG-7771.jpg

Guest Vincent

Hi

You should add a line of rivets on the cowl, along the gun port inserts. These (made of steel) were riveted against the rest of the cowl panels

Check with picture, you can just make the line of rivets around the gun insert :

deliveryService?id=NASM-A19600327000-NAS

;)

Vincent

Edited by Vincent

Thanks guys! I appreciate you checking in!

14 hours ago, matto21 said:

Lovely work again! 

Out of interest, which riveting tool did you order because I have the same issue with mine and can't find a replacement at the moment.

Matt 

I ordered three sets of riveting wheels from Galaxy Tools from EBay.  Standard size, Mini size and the Corner Tool. I got the smaller spacing (0.55mm, 0.65mm and 0.75mm) sets.  I noticed a review at The Modeling News site and thought they'd be worth a try since I can't find the RB Rivet-R in stock.

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2020/04/build-review-pt-iii-148th-scale-north.html#more