1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G-14 Hartmann Double Chevron

Thunnus

Guest Vincent

Hi

The gunsight touches the armored windshield because you placed the gunsight too much forward in its mount. You see the little thingie from the mount that sticks outside of the rear of gunsight ? It is the gunsight electrical connector and it should be under the gunsight, not behind it.

So you need the place the gunsight much more

A bit blurry picture of mine but it shows how far behind the gunsight should be :

final4.jpg

And a picture of the real plane showing pretty well how the electrical connector relates to the gunsight position :

zkAigcev6PrZY5ogRBfbsIDNfwvxBH5SoJzVWzna

Edited by Vincent

Thanks guys!  More work on the G-14 including the riveting of the upper wings.  The rivets show up more white than black, signifying the stress marks around each hole.  I think I need a new wheel as this one is getting dull.
IMG-7695.jpg

I drilled out some holes in the wing bottom to accommodate the ammo chutes.  In the past, I sketched the cross section of the chutes onto this area and carved out nice neat rectangular holes.  They started off too small and I gradually shave them bigger until the chutes would just squeeze through.  Stupid... no need for that type of precision here... just drill holes that are obviously bigger than the chutes and you're done.
IMG-7685.jpg
IMG-7687.jpg
IMG-7686.jpg

Vincent K to the rescue again!  As Mr. K pointed out, I had mounted the Revi 16B too far forward of the mount and that was causing the near conflict with the windscreen.  So I re-positioned the gunsight and the clearance is much better!  Thanks Vincent!
IMG-7689.jpg
IMG-7690.jpg
IMG-7692.jpg

The base coat of RLM 66 Dark Grey has been established on the cockpit parts.
IMG-7693.jpg

Guest Vincent

One thing i forgot when doing the parts :

For the G14, you will need to add a small pressure gauge on the left sidewall. This is the MW50 pressure gauge so that the pilot can monitor the boost :

Screenshot_20191221-071327.thumb.png.44e

This is true for all Me 109 using the MW50 (so the G10 as well) but not for the K4 where the dial was on the main instrument panel.

Mounting bracket was this : http://arsenal45-shop.de/product_info.php?language=en&info=p365_----mw50-gauge-mounting---messerschmitt-bf-109-g----.html&=

Edited by Vincent

Guest Vincent
3 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Just a point of interest for some, the hexigonal tank drain cap was sometimes a simple plug.

MXA1tA8.jpg

Are you sure the hex cap isn't missing on that picture ?

Also it seems that some were manufactured without a drain at all - that's new to me but have a look at that link :

https://fromreconstructiontodeconstruction.blogspot.com/2012/08/german-luftwaffe-wwii-drop-tank.html

I suspect however that the tank on the link might not be for fighters as it was manufactured without the end fairing (and seems to have no provision for one)

I love the 1L of vodka reward if a Polish citizen brings the tank back

Edited by Vincent

Well, I have seen other tanks that look the same as the one above (naturally can't find them now :rolleyes:)

but you're right , they could be a threaded hole with no cap. Impossible to tell without looking in

the hole (remains a mystery to me). Here's a couple that appear to have no drain as well.

yXk4iJm.jpg

ttuwshv.jpg

:shrug:

Edited by MikeMaben

Guest Vincent
2 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Well, I have seen other tanks that look the same as the one above (naturally can't find them now :rolleyes:)

but you're right , they could be a threaded hole with no cap. Impossible to tell without looking in

the hole (remains a mystery to me). Here's a couple that appear to have no drain as well.

yXk4iJm.jpg

This kid's hand might be right over the hole  ??

ttuwshv.jpg

:shrug:

These tanks are all of the same model, with no end fairing. They are a model of their it seems. So i would say if you depict the tank with the pointy end fairing, it should have the drain

Edited by Vincent

Guest Vincent
7 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

What is the difference with the end fairing ?

The ones on your pictures and the polish link were produced with a metal rounded end and no fabric fairing was installed on these (you can tell it by the fact that the paint goes all the way. The other model, commonly seen on 109s has a very pointy end which is the fabric molded fairing. When the fairing is removed you can see the tank was painted with the fairing on

Here's a tank with the fairing :

4b36c70a0b37f935f8013a26980dd03d.png

Edited by Vincent

Guest Vincent
3 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

I mean how does the end fairing make a difference ?

Something practical or different manufacturer ?

I would imagine the end fairing was a drag reduction item. Because it extended the length of the tank and created a risk of damaging the underside when pivoting, it was made of glue impregnated fabric.

Not sure about the application of the other tank designs

Hi,  I'm kind of confused here                                                                                   

.US-Gis-collecting-Luftwaffe-drop-tank-3.

This picture show US Gis lording abandoned Luftwaffe drop tanks and I can see most of them have pointy tail and there is no drain.

Bf-109-F-with-DROP-TANK.jpgAnd                                                                       

This F-2 (F-4) trop have a drop tank with air pressure intake on nose:wacko:                                                                                                                                    

Regards,

Matsu.                                                                                                                                                                                           

Edited by Shiba

BTW  Drop tank collected by US Gis ends up under the wing of P-47:o   (Very interesting !!)                                                                                                                                                                 

P-47-with-Luftwaffe-drop-tank-3.jpg                                                                             

Regards,

Matsu.