1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G-14 Hartmann Double Chevron

Thunnus

One of the intriguing things (at least for me) how the Eduard instrument panel would compare with the MDC resin.  As I was looking at it, I was amazed by the resolution of the color printing.  There are painted details on this thing like tiny labels above certain instruments that would be impossible to replicate.  And it didn't have that odd fabric texture that you often see on Eduard pre-painted panels.  Yes, the color is still off but even that looked better than the obviously purple shade I'm used to getting from Eduard.  Since the G-14 is an older kit, the question has to be asked... has Eduard's quality actually declined over the years?

My preferred IP representation is PE face layered with separate instrument bezels backed by a clear acetate with the printed instruments gauges.  I also like resin IP faces that you populate with instrument gauge decals.  My least favorite has been the all-PE approach due to the reasons stated in the first paragraph.  But since this one looked different, I was interested to see what the Eduard IP would look put together.
IMG-7535.jpg

Due to the number of small parts, the Eduard panel took a few hours to assemble.  I used Future as an adhesive, which can be a reluctant glue when you're attaching parts that aren't 100% flat.  It's not complete as there are a few switches that I've not glued on yet but it gives us a good look at what the MDC panel is going up against.  Obviously, the resin still has the physical advantage of 3D relief but I'm very impressed with the Eduard IP!
IMG-7537.jpg
IMG-7538.jpg

Just starting to fiddle around with the MDC cockpit.  The resin here looks excellent.  There is just no way that a photoetch set can match the physical oomph of quality resin.  
IMG-7539.jpg
IMG-7540.jpg
IMG-7541.jpg
IMG-7543.jpg

13 minutes ago, Antonio Argudo said:

nice scheme John! gonna enjoy this for sure, cheers!

note: (based on the other pictures, this profile has the chevron too forward positioned) 

83914458-482557769358062-103133912371508

1-Hartmann.jpg

Antonio... I don't think this is the same aircraft in the background.  No black tulip and there is an antenna mast, which is missing in the other two photos.  So I believe profile is also wrong in this respect as it shows an antenna mast and DF loop.

7 minutes ago, StefanGebhardt said:

I was always wondering if the camouflage 'stripes' were on top of the white paint or actually left out when painting it and should show the underneath color of the factory camouflage... Comments, suggestions?

I agree with Antonio.  I think the white was applied in blotches with the original 74/75 camo showing through.  That's how I was going to approach it.

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

Not deformed... that's just the reflection of the ring lights on the ceiling of my light box.  It actually came with a cloth diffuser to prevent such hard reflections but I had neglected to put it on for these pics.

Didn't think so, just my eyes then! Browsing on my phone probably doesn't help either! 

Another interesting is the position of the black tulip, the way the heart underneath the cockpit and the double chevron appear on the photos. All three items seems to be applied AFTER the machine was machine was painted white. My assumption in based on the observation That there seems to be no overpainting spots visible. But this is just my opinion and I could be easily wrong. Still really neat painted tulip, heart and chevrons. Probably helped to be one of the highest scoring pilots left...

hartmann_g-14_1.pngHere is a second photo with a slightly better resolution showing Hartmann leaving the cockpit. It’s not exactly the same photo but it shows (in my opinion) that the visible parts beside the white are actually the Werks-Camouflage of the plane rather than something painted on top of it - there seems to be different colors visible.

5 hours ago, StefanGebhardt said:

hartmann_g-14_1.pngHere is a second photo with a slightly better resolution showing Hartmann leaving the cockpit. It’s not exactly the same photo but it shows (in my opinion) that the visible parts beside the white are actually the Werks-Camouflage of the plane rather than something painted on top of it - there seems to be different colors visible.

Thanks for that great picture, Stefan!  It also shows some good details around the cockpit... battery box behind the pilot's head, no antenna mast with the aerial attached directly to the fuselage and no DF loop antenna, although the mount is still there.  Like you stated previously, the chevron looks to be painted on top of the white camo.

Thanks guys!  I played around a little bit more with the MDC cockpit.  Just getting a preliminary idea of how it might fit into the fuselage.  The molded details on the insides of the kit fuselage needed to be removed before I could start dry-fitting.
IMG-7545.jpg
IMG-7546.jpg

The two-page instruction don't say how the cockpit tub fits into the fuselage.  It simply shows where the resin sidewalls fit into the fuselage sides.  I think the assumption is to glue the sidewalls into the fuselage sides and either trap the cockpit tub between the sidewalls when the fuselage comes together OR push the cockpit tub into position from the bottom after the fuselage is glued together.  I'm trying to determine if there is a better way... like gluing the resin sidewalls onto the tub first and then putting the assembled cockpit into position from the bottom opening.

As far as dry-fitting goes, I'm able to fit one sidewall and the tub into the fuselage but having difficult keeping everything together and dry-fitting both sidewalls at the same time.  Give it some time... I'll figure it out eventually.
IMG-7547.jpg