1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G-14 Hartmann Double Chevron

Thunnus

Hey guys!  With my G-6/AS wrapped up and me not exactly enjoying wrestling with the Ta152H build, I thought it would be a good opportunity to start on a new project.  I've had my eye on a G-14 and was originally planning on waiting for AMUR Reaver to produce a G-14 cowling for the Revell G-6 kit.  But a Hasegawa G-14 kit popped up on EBay with some interesting extras so I pounced on it and here we are!

This is the kit and also a nice painting of the scheme that I will doing: Hartmann's white G-14 (or G-6).
IMG-7503.jpg

The kit was opened but not started yet and included a nice assortment of aftermarket stuff, which is shown below and will be delved into detail towards the end of this post.
IMG-7506.jpg

Here are the obligatory sprue shots.  The parts bags on this kit were still sealed.
IMG-7507.jpg
IMG-7508.jpg
IMG-7509.jpg
IMG-7510.jpg
IMG-7511.jpg
IMG-7513.jpg

I'm going to use as few of the kit decals as possible.  I'll scan the sheet and create custom masks for the larger markings.
IMG-7533.jpg

Digging into the "extras" that came with this kit we find what looks to be an extra clear canopy part.  Always good to have spares when it comes to clear parts!
IMG-7514.jpg

These cream resin parts came in a Eagle Parts package labelled Fw 190A spinner and wide prop blades.  There was no spinner and I can't ID the prop blades except to say that they are not appropriate for my build.  The wheels look like the smooth hub late 109 type but I may not be able use them if the flattened part is not in the right spot.
IMG-7515.jpg

The resin exhausts seem to be a drop in fit for the Hasegawa fuselage so these will be used.
IMG-7516.jpg

Another surprise is a set of Hasegawa 109G/K wings with thewide wing bulges.  I'm pretty sure Hartman's G-14 featured the smaller bulges but it's a good option to have.
IMG-7517.jpg

This one is a mystery.  It looks like a resin cowling and spinner for an Avia S-199?
IMG-7519.jpg

A very small plastic baggy housed this MDC replacement tailwheel for the 109G. Very nicely molded!
IMG-7520.jpg
IMG-7521.jpg

This cockpit is going to be fully loaded because I have TWO great sets for the interior.  One is the Eduard Photoetch Interior for the G-14 with a complete, multi-part assembly for the instrument panel.
IMG-7522.jpg
IMG-7523.jpg

The other is the MDC G-14 resin cockpit set with lots of extra parts.  Only one cockpit floor but I count six sidewalls, three rear sills, and three central cannon breech covers in two styles.
IMG-7524.jpg

The instrument panel is resin and a decal for the instrument faces is provided.
IMG-7525.jpg

The resin molding on this MDC product is excellent!
IMG-7528.jpg
IMG-7529.jpg

There is a photoetch fret that gives the builder the option of complete seat belts or just the buckles if the modeler wants to use a more flexible material like foil.  I may play with that option just to break away from the HGW belts I've been using all the time.
IMG-7530.jpg

MDC provides a two-page instruction sheet for the cockpit set.  Simple but thankfully legible.
IMG-7531.jpg
IMG-7532.jpg

First step will be taking a closer look at the Eduard and MDC cockpit add-ons and try to determine which items from which set will be used in this build.

following with interest!

i think RickK did this bird a few years back very nicely so very much looking forward to another top build here

do you have any pics of the actual aircraft?

seems such a famous bird but I can't think that I've seen lots of original pics of it

all the best

Nick

Hasegawa have just bought this out again. Have one sitting in my HLJ private warehouse awaiting a few other things before I get it sent. So I’ll follow along closely. I’ll be doing the snow camo one from the AIMS sheet which is also the same as the box art. Now if only they would repop their 190A series. 

Indeed! Count me in and leave me a chair!

I was a little worried when I saw that Avia nose section in the resin bits, but was happy when I realized it wasn’t being used!

like a Messerspit, that Avia is not a pretty plane...my opinion, your mileage may vary

Edited by chrish
Typo

7 hours ago, nmayhew said:

following with interest!

i think RickK did this bird a few years back very nicely so very much looking forward to another top build here

do you have any pics of the actual aircraft?

seems such a famous bird but I can't think that I've seen lots of original pics of it

all the best

Nick

Here are the two photos of Hartmann's G-14 (or G-6) that I am aware of...

Hartman_109G-6_Photo1.jpg

Hartman_109G-6_Photo2.jpg

6 hours ago, Lothar said:

We're up for another treat and I'm sure this one will be as excellent as your recent build - fantastic choice of aftermarket.

Lothar

The Ebay seller didn't have an actual LIST of aftermarket sets just photos and when I saw the MDC cockpit... I was interested!  The other things that I'm able to use are just bonus!

6 hours ago, Wackyracer said:

ANOTHER great build to follow along with John. I too have this kit abet it didn't have any 'extras' in the box, actually quite the opposite with several parts missing, including the late style canopy (now I know where that went :rofl:

Looking forward to updates

Aaron

Let me know if you need that canopy!  Provided I don't mess mine up in the process of the build!

6 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Hasegawa have just bought this out again. Have one sitting in my HLJ private warehouse awaiting a few other things before I get it sent. So I’ll follow along closely. I’ll be doing the snow camo one from the AIMS sheet which is also the same as the box art. Now if only they would repop their 190A series. 

That's probably why the price on this Ebay offering was so reasonable.  Good timing on my part!

6 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Great haul.

Indeed, the Avia S-199.  The 'K' wings go with the S-199 also.

In case you're interested.  I know I am.  You beat me to it!

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark!  Not really interested in the S-199.  At least for the moment.  And don't be afraid to build your own version of this aircraft, Mark.  I'm sure they would turn out different due to our different styles.  It's actually difficult to choose subjects that aren't being built already.  One of the reasons I chose this build is because the others (Fw190D-13 Yellow 10 and Me262B Nightfighter) are current builds by other LSP members.

5 hours ago, Kais said:

Thunnus,
The wings(like Mark observed) are likely part of a contemplated Mule build.
Wings, nose, prop blades, canopy and late wheels.
You're going to need another G6/14 kit methinks!

Ah so maybe that's where the original builder was going with this kit?

3 hours ago, matto21 said:

Great ebay find! 

Are those wing bulges deformed or is it just my eyes? 

Matt 

Not deformed... that's just the reflection of the ring lights on the ceiling of my light box.  It actually came with a cloth diffuser to prevent such hard reflections but I had neglected to put it on for these pics.

2 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

A great collection of goodies, pulling up a virtual chair...

1 hour ago, Troy Molitor said:

Looking forward to this one John.  

Troy 

1 hour ago, chrish said:

Indeed! Count me in and leave me a chair!

I was a little worried when I saw that Avia nose section in the resin bits, but was happy when I realized it wasn’t being used!

like a Messerspit, that Avia is not a pretty plane...my opinion, your mileage may vary

Thanks guys!  My first steps in this build are coming up!

6 minutes ago, StefanGebhardt said:

I was always wondering if the camouflage 'stripes' were on top of the white paint or actually left out when painting it and should show the underneath color of the factory camouflage... Comments, suggestions?

to me they show the underneath camo paint, the windshield and canopy were left in its color

Edited by Antonio Argudo