1/48 Tamiya He 219 Update 21 April: On her feet

Collin

Wanted to challenge my airbrushing skills to improve, so I grabbed this kit off the shelf and set off.  Now when it comes to the He 219, my research showed the same 4-5 paint schemes from NJG squadrons in 1944 and 1945.  I thought....there was ~250-300 of these aircraft out there...I'll airbrush a scheme that is close....but not exactly like a aircraft in the reference photos.

So I figured here is a HE 219, toward the end of the war...the pilots took delivery of a grey squiggle painted bird, but wanted the local squadron folks to paint the lower parts of the aircraft black.  Then after a P-47 attack on the airbase, someone came along and painted RLM 83 all over the top of the aircraft and pushed it into a tree line parking spot. 

Took about a week to construct the kit.  OOB.  Wine foil for seatbelts. 

Cheers

Collin

Here we go:

DprKLcp.jpg

W1Rij51.jpg

MI9oP7i.jpg

9uNUMDb.jpg

3BJ1sUD.jpg

2DsSRfz.jpg

OFGQVZX.jpg

pUBDFb2.jpg

0CV9uWQ.jpg

83W9DpW.jpg

LQm6Fmc.jpg

sip0wqg.jpg

ERkw4X4.jpg

hocvVfX.jpg

XmW2Njh.jpg

ZsQHNl2.jpg

Nn3cHuR.jpg

T2fmbQY.jpg

• Collin changed the title to 1/48 Tamiya He 219 Update 21 April: On her feet

I have this kit in the stash and I'd really like to build it. I did NOT know that the wings snapped in place so well. Nice and tight there with what looks like  no seam filling at all. Your paint work speaks for itself. Wow!!!! What a beauty so far.

6 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I have this kit in the stash and I'd really like to build it. I did NOT know that the wings snapped in place so well. Nice and tight there with what looks like  no seam filling at all. Your paint work speaks for itself. Wow!!!! What a beauty so far.

The only tricky part of the build is the area of the engine bodies and attaching them to the wings. Just be careful glueing them. You may have a small bit of cleanup on the rear parts of the engine and some excess plastic near the wing leading edge and engine. Hard to explain, but when you build it you will see what I’m talking about. 

Other than that, it’s a great kit. I kept the wings off until the end. Sure helped with painting, it’s a surprisingly large kit.  And yes, the wings just slide onto the plastic guides provided, and press fit to the fuselage. A little touch of glue. Absolutely no seam to worry about. 

Cheers

Collin

Edited by Collin
Added info