Posted (edited)

Can you Mods not see what is going on here?  People want something to talk about.  Even though this thread has morphed into a conversation about booze and paint color, people want to connect.  Only half a day old and seven pages!

But you have succeeded, two years ago in driving away some very interesting personalities.  Regular contributors.  You have turned what was once a vibrant place into something about as interesting as a wet blanket.  Your heavy handedness has stifled conversation, wiped away opinions, and contributed to an aura of blah.   I can't count the number of times I've come here in the past two years and found almost nothing happening in the three uppermost sections.

The stay at home policy has increased the number of builds  in the "in the works" section.  But before Covid-19 it sometimes got pretty slow there, too.

Don't be afraid to let people talk just because of where the direction might go.  There are far more level-headed, nice guys here than there are jerks.  Why stifle them all ?

Edited by Gazzas
Just now, Gazzas said:

Can you Mods not see what is going on here?  People want something to talk about.  Even though this thread has morphed into a conversation about booze and paint color, people want to connect.  Only half a day old and seven pages!

But you have succeeded, two years ago in driving away some very interesting personalities.  Regular contributors.  You have turned what was once a vibrant place into something about as interesting as a wet blanket.  Your heavy handedness has stifled conversation, wiped away opinions, and contributed to an aura of blah.   I can't count the number of times I've come here in the past two years and found almost nothing happening in the three uppermost sections.

The stay at home policy has increased the number of builds  in the works.  But before Covid-19 it got pretty slow there, too.

Don't be afraid to let people talk just because of where the direction might go.  There are far more level-headed, nice guys here than there are jerks.  Why stifle them all ?

I'm on the fence on this.   Over on ARC, they had a "vibrant" community a few years ago.  However the mods started locking down many very interesting threads that had become heated.  Then they booted a few "vibrant" regulars.   These days ARC is pretty much a shadow of what it was.  Many long time contributors have moved on, traffic on the forums is way down from a few years ago and most of the general posts are of very little interest. 

So I have to ask this rhetorical question - If a forum is so tightly controlled / suppressed that many folks no longer visit, was it really worth it?  Again, I fully acknowledge that the mods can do whatever they want, just my $0.02.  

That's quite off base Gaz.

You have NO CLUE what went and GOES on behind the scenes. 

I'm not even going there and I would suggest no one else go there either. 

I've about had it with this. I'm a generally friendly guy, but this conversation is bringing out the worst in everyone, including me and I'm done here. I'm bowing out here before saying something Ill have to delete.

The other mods are going to have to choose how to handle this one.

Im about as pi$$ed off as I've been, and Im done here.

I've been trying to stay out of this but I'll chime in as one of the long time Mods here that I have to say sorry Gaz but you have absolutely no idea what goes on behind the scenes here and how much we discuss things in the background before acting.  As a long term mod here, that's is most likely one of the most disappointing posts I've read n my 13 years.

I'll leave it at that.

Ron

I've also got to say Gaz, you seriously haven't got a clue what you're taking about, there were two previous WnW's threads which were locked, before you started your new one, which just served to regurgitate what had been said ad nauseam in the previous, this might come as a surprise, but it they weren't locked because of the staff, quite the opposite.

A slither of information comes out of WnW's and people take up diametrically opposed viewpoints, then go at each other, is that why people come here?

There is a similar thread on Britmodeller which is locked, one on LSM, which has been locked, does that not tell you something. I notice your original post on this thread was posted over on the latter thread, is this what you do, what you're about dropping verbage bombs?

I spent/wasted a very large chunk of my day babysitting this thread, oh and I do have a life beyond this site, quite a demanding one thanks.

Next time you have a grievance, contact one of the staff.

11 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

The problem is it's just all repeated speculation, has anyone got anything to say which hasn't been said either in the thread - which I locked - this one on Britmodeller, now locked, or this one on WWI Aircraft Modelling, not forgetting this one also?

Sorry Andy, so monkey see, monkey do. 

I thought this site was a bit better.

Tony 

Gents,

Let's all back up a few paces, take some deep breaths, and . . . count to ten.  Or ten thousand.

I hate to see people getting really fighty with each other, because often they wind up sayings they can't take back, or things that make them look like real puds. 

So please . . . let's all be a little more considerate.  Everyone's under stress, everyone feels like this is a really weird and bad situation.  Tempers are gonna rise.  Think twice before you vent.

I am late to the discussion and didn't read the original thread. I believe having a lively discussion on the closure of WNW and speculating on why is okay, however, from what I read here slagging an individual or individuals associated with that company is libelous no question and I suspect this forum would be held responsible in any legal action taken not the individuals doing the slagging, though a cease and desist letter would probably be the first action.  If you would find it offensive if someone impugned your character then don't do it to others. Common sense.

Edited by Totalize

You're right.  I don't know what goes on behind the scenes and I have never claimed that I did know.  But my observations remain the same.  This place ain't as nice as it used to be. 

I know that my posts have been edited on at least two occasions in the last couple of years, and I rarely go out of my way to offend people.   And I have seen that interesting threads get threatened with lock down, or completely locked down.  We can't all be interested in the internal color of the P-51K or know much about the slats on Phantom F4 Stabilators.  There has to be more to Large Scale Aircraft Modelling than Q&A and praising the many fine efforts here.

This was once a community.

48 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

You're right.  I don't know what goes on behind the scenes and I have never claimed that I did know.  But my observations remain the same.  This place ain't as nice as it used to be. 

I know that my posts have been edited on at least two occasions in the last couple of years, and I rarely go out of my way to offend people.   And I have seen that interesting threads get threatened with lock down, or completely locked down.  We can't all be interested in the internal color of the P-51K or know much about the slats on Phantom F4 Stabilators.  There has to be more to Large Scale Aircraft Modelling than Q&A and praising the many fine efforts here.

This was once a community.

The only threads I can think of which have been locked in the past year have been on Mustang panel lines, and the recent WnW's threads, and why start a thread on a topic you knew was toxic, and fractious, it's hardly going to engender a sense of community. If you copy and paste the same post on numerous sites, it's more about getting a reaction than having a discussion.

Erm, I'm rather partial to Golden Rum, fresh lime juice and good ol' Coke, once the clocks have changed. Obviously prior to that it' d be a nice Scotch.Glenlivet founders reserve has been doing it for me until recently.

Gutted as it seems what certainly appeared to be the best 1/32 model ever ( having actually fondled the test shots/builds at Telford) will never hit the shelves. Still, my brother-in-law has beaten the virus ( unlike poor Tim Brooke-Taylor, who made me laugh a lot whilst modelling),  I'm halfway through one of aforementioned Cubre Libres so one tries to maintain a sense of perspective. Still sucks, tho. RIP Wingnuts.

Blue Skies, stay safe peeps.

Captain Boogaloo