Thin aluminum foil source?

3 minutes ago, ChuckT said:

I'm looking for a thinnert than usual foil to use to simulate cracked leather. Regular tin foils is too thick and leaf is way to thin. 

Cool! Thats why I was asking, as it might not have been for what I thought it was for................

3 minutes ago, ChuckT said:

Any ideas?

Hrmmmmm.......I did some experiments with using foil to pick up the pattern behind it. I wonder if you could try imprinting some thin(ish) foil with something that was already cracked in a pattern you liked?    I would think standard thin use foil would pick that up.

But if you need something for cracked leather from scratch that might require some thinking..........

I'm did some research comparing the thicknesses of various tin foils. Looks like aluminum leaf is .0005mm thick, standard household foil is roughly .016mm and heavy duty foil .02mm thick. I'm not so sure now I need the extra thin stuff!

Let me do some experiments and see if the regular foil is going to give the look I'm after.

Stand by.

Just an idea.  The aluminum foil in Asia is far thinner than the Americas.  Do you have an Asian Markets near you?  NOT the live markets mind you, just the specialty shops.  The aluminum foil is really thin over there.  I purchased some while I was living in Singapore during the last four years but I never purchased any to bring home when I moved back in late 2019.  

I recall reading about this years ago.  Your best source for thin foil in the US is one of the cheapo brands, like from the dollar store.  There's a reason why it's so cheap!  It's definitely thin.