Question -Tail serial numbers size

Hi All!

This might be posted in the wrong section here but I am doing some research on B-17E's early in WWII. Does anyone know what the size of the serial numbers were on the tail of the aircraft? I've come across some info that says 18" and some that says 24" - and some that says it varied quite a bit.

Anyone have any info?

Thanks!

-Ro

For the B-17 E the "airplane designator"  consisted of the last digit of the fiscal year of procurement and the aircraft serial number .  It was painted 80 inches below the top of the fin in figures 15 inches high by 10 inches wide, with a  5 inch gap between the figures.   

Edited by RBrown

Thanks for the info guys! Appreciate it!

Do you happen to know where I might get masks for airbrushing appropriately sized tail numbers for a 1/32 B-17E?

Thanks again! :)

-Ro

3 hours ago, Rowen said:

Thanks for the info guys! Appreciate it!

Do you happen to know where I might get masks for airbrushing appropriately sized tail numbers for a 1/32 B-17E?

Thanks again! :)

-Ro

I made my own for the Swamp Ghost.  I played around with MS Word and the USAF Amarillo font (I think, going from memory) until it looked about right.  Wish I had had the information above, as it would have helped.

I printed it out on regular paper and just carefully cut it with a hobby knife.