F-4F Phantom II WTD 61 "Flight Test"

Dutch Man

Hello all.

With an IRAF- F-4D Phantom II in the make, a kit for a group build, which does not come off, my modeling mojo is really rising with this Revell Boxing of a GAF F-4F Phantom II.

Purchase of the kit was real cool and cheap, just before Covid-19 crisis broke all supply chains, I managed to  collect my aftermarket stuff, just in time . 

After some comparison with a Tamiya F-4EJ, a lot of detail is somewhat copied to enhance the Revell kit's detail. 

Legend cockpit is not perfect, but it gives a good overall presentation. I really admire the Cockpit Guru's, way beyond my skills(so far, that I'm learning a lot).

Changed the setting of the RIO's Dash. Still in process, pictures come later.

I decided to glue as much as possible to build up a good base to work with. Fit is just excellent!

For the wings I cut out the Flaps and will replace them with Tamiya parts.

I glued the wings and fuselage after that, to leave it for almost a week. Wings got some superglue for filling possible gaps on the leading edge(from the inside). Came out perfect.

Cockpit not finished yet, more details to add.

Wheel well at the front is almost done, needs the landing gear and some extra wiring, coming from the gear.

UIzmKzH.jpg

Rendition of the extra details I added to my Tamiya F-4EJ, which is also on the table. Difference is the shallow well Revell provides. Adjusting sizes results to this, happy with it.

R3VGlPL.jpg

Another, not really sharp shot, of a Saturday morning built.

MMTP4yy.jpg

Not the Cockpit Guru, but I'm happy with the RIO part of the pit. Screen has the typical Octa shape. Not very clear now, after some color modulation it will show up I hope. Size, shape and colors of the switches is a quest, happy with it(so far) Might change some sizes though, we will see. Some detail is just too big, down size the styrene will improve it I hope.

The Nose Job.

Oh my God... There goes another one...

Well, this one was a real joy to do. Used AMS corrected Nose for this kit.

Waku Waku!!! (Ak ow heb, dan zak ow)

Glued with 4 Minute Epoxy, done in a Jiffy.

Really Happy Me.

0Iw6D47.jpg

Needs some work, re-scribing after sanding, etc. Shape is just very ok.

G876XXx.jpg

Long Nose Phantom II, I dig it. Only minor corrections to be made with some filling,  panel lines and rivets.

Next... Moving surfaces, Intakes,  Splitter plates...

8e3qahG.jpg

Glued in place, taking care not to interfere with future build steps on this part of the kit. But no problem, fixed it and. already sprayed with Mr. Color white Base. Smooth...as silk.

FMy8Y2Z.jpg

Splitter plates dry fitted. Looks the part.

The canon muzzle and looks.

glUb8Ig.jpg

A bit rough. You can see there is some work left on the underside of the nose.

FPwmilv.jpg

Gun muzzle is glued and in position, as from my references, with a little kink. 

All to set now and let it dry.

Will continue during the week with little jobs, like the main landing gear,( almost finished),

Nose gear is still a work in progress, not happy with the size and shape of gear, plus I want thew wheels turned to left direction

Hope you all like it so far.

To be continued...

Robert Jan

Edited by Dutch Man
Typo

Thank you for the compliment Tom.

Recently I watched a part of the farewell and this F-4F showed up. Never seen that one flying in any clip I watched so far.

Livery is just great, but I'm not confident with the Decals Revell provides. When the cockpit is ready, it will be closed, this weekend I hope, I can focus on the exterior.

It definitely will be an ICE from Wittmund Airbase. 

Will post a picture of the one I have in mind later today.

Robert Jan

Hi Derek. Thanks for looking in. 

This will be the scheme for my F-4F Phantom II from the JG 71 Richthofen (Wittmund 2003-2008)

Tan radome shows it's an ICE. What is interesting on 37+65 (72 1175), it is  Zapped with Polly Grey from F-16AM 322 Squadron based at Leeuwarden AB, KLu "Sister" unit from the Netherlands. The insignia of the parrot Polly Grey is dating back to the second world war.

Already have a sheet with this parrot Polly Grey. Dutch Decal DD32035, sheet for the TF-104G Starfighter (still dream of this kit for the near future).

Anyway, this is the picture I took from ADL 008 Modern Luftwaffe Unit History Series, Fighter Wing 71 "Richthofen" 1975-2013.

wfETXsO.jpg?1

I need to scan these for better quality. 

All I need to complete arrived today. International shipping from the UK to Thailand still works, surprised to see my secretary came up with this parcel.

Nice weekend and stay safe.

Robert Jan

Edited by Dutch Man
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

Some progress on the Phantom. Worked on the RIO Dash / IP. Some changes made to the layout, mostly using the internet for references.

When all is installed it should at least look different from a standard IP one gets in the E type kits.

some scratch building needed...

dgkmAzt.jpg 

5 bezels above the standard 4 come from an Airscale set, 2 piece on the left also. Top is scratch build.

The white styrene part is a "copy and paste" from the Avionics cockpit set for the F-4E.

cBToGh6.jpg

dyI7K98.jpg

Dry fit of the IP. Cockpit sits to low(dry fit) but one gets the idea how this will look like.

PPy5jhM.jpg

gIcqcOj.jpg

With some wiring this will look the biz I guess. You can also identify the 'Octa shape' of the rader, typical for the F-4F.

The IP will move about 1 to 2 mm. towards the RIO.

Hope you all like it.

Have a great week.

Robert Jan

Edited by Dutch Man

• 2 weeks later...

Did some work today on my Phantom. Cockpit is still not finished. Cut out the original coaming and replaced it with Tamiya party.

From Avionix the front IP was modified to make a compromise with the rest of the resin. Once there is some paint and other detail it will look ok I guess / hope.

ICvga46.jpg 

IP rests on the resin block already. It's a dry fit, when properly clicked together it will lift for another 1.5 mm. Tamiya part is sunk 1.5 mm. into the cockpit. Gives a good look with room for all the attachments still to add.

bA1P6P0.jpg

Another angle, happy with the looks of it.

Then for a difference, speaking of  Phantom Mania subjects that never end, the wings. Building an E version gives the opportunity to do it all ok. Buy a resin AM set from GT Resin for the slatted wings, at least when you're building a Tamiya. Before I purchased the GT Resin set, I already had a Wingman set (old IsraCast). Significant differences?, answer is yes. Looks ok, but GT Resin wins the battle. Does it fit the Revell kit, answer is yes. So I did some cutting and sanding.

b1abB7B.jpg 

Angle is ok, most important argument to add this AM. Revell, just like the Tamiya wingtips are not the right angle.

xAex6Z5.jpg 

Other side

eGyg9iZ.jpg

Have the canopies on for a test fit. No issues. 

Now I have to cut some resin and styrene.

So back to the bench.

Robert Jan

Detail work on the front gear.

UTnJdVG.jpg

tOsdLfE.jpg

Again it's a copy and paste from my Tamiya gears and a lot of reference from Chuck's magnificent F-4E Rammstein Sharkmouth.

mduxEtJ.jpg

Resin wheels are from DEF Models. To be honest, I like the main landing gear from Revell better than the mixed media Tamiya stuff. Front needs extra work. 

Ready for some washes now, all is Mr. semi gloss. Smooth as silk.

Got all my paint collected for the Phantom, as well as for the Starfighter over the weekend. Once my Air Con gets fixed (I hope this afternoon) some serious paint goes airborne the coming days. 

Until next time,

Robert Jan

There is a moment when everybody thinks, how did I get here, why? When it is so steaming hot, all your little jobs need to be done before the sun reaches the walls and heats your house up. On the other hand, it keeps me safe and sound from Covid-19. Hey hey.

So was thinking to do some on Saturday, worked out on Sunday...

Yes this is the same opening as with Smith me Starfighter build log. 

It is my sixts year living over here, never been so hot!

Phantom time? Yes!

What really bugs me are the little details Revell 'forgets'. glad to have some Tamiya spares for that.

same same, needs some work, but results please me.

QhzyuxX.jpg  

Cut from the spare intakes and replaced on Revell. This is the underside.

ll4iDMl.jpg

Top side right

GmAuBrb.jpg

And left side.

Now I need to remove one panel line on both sides and adjust some details, so it matches the Tamiya scribing details for both parts / sides.

Big improvement. I call it a day!

Hope you all like it,

Robert Jan

Edited by Dutch Man