Messerschmitt Bf109G-10 (or G-14AS) Black 4 croatian Zlatko Stipcic

Thomas Lund

So, In my quest to do one from each nation that participated in WWII, I've come to this one... this very well known one. Vladimir Sandtner defected in this one along with the equally well known 'Black 10' and landed at Falconara in Italy on 16th April 1945. Black 4 was flown by 12 victory ace Zlatko Stipcic on at least two occations before Sandtner ran off with it... so that feeds my ace fetich as well

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G14AS-Erla-2-Lovacko

Some places it's mentioned as a G-10, some places as a G-14AS. Plenty of photo's of this one, but all the features (tall tail, tall tail wheel, MW50 filler, small wing bulges) could point to either, so I've given up and just decided to do 'this one'.

Lots of pictures of this bird

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G14AS-Erla-2-Lovacko

aeca8472ceb79013840cf7fed34e774c.jpg

e91f535401002faa5d87458985dd0412.jpg

1WMl8Qo.jpg

This last image is a late addition to my stash of pictures of this plane, so originally I did the camo with normal leading edge. Am working to do the wavy one

Finally Stipcic himself

yYm0LFK.jpg

As usual I've gotten pretty far before I pull myself together to do a build tread... This is btw part of a 'enemy' group build on Danske Modelbyggere (Danish modelers) . In the enemy group build we 'team up' two and two with opposing builds. My friend opposed this one with a Yak-3 (in 48th... sigh).

Will post build pics in next post in a minute

Started with the Hasegawa G-10 kit, nice kit with no real issues and since I really was focused on the painting phase, I progressed rather quickly. Fuselage closed and most basic construction finished in a day (god bless corona :-) ) But unfortunately I forgot to photograph the cockpit...

2trtEug.jpg

ckh0XKR.jpg

Since I wanted to paint as much of the markings as possible, I did some rather intricate masks in CAD for my Silhouette

zPfD1sq.png

iEmNZoz.png

The little symbol above the checquerd flag I need to print on a piece of decal film - much too small to cut...

Finally primer coat and a few flaws corrected

mGv5fEt.jpg

So main painting commenced - a rather grubby looking 109 with plenty of overspray of old marking - very interesting

ZhSkl0U.jpg

q6GAhDG.jpg

As mentioned earlier - at this time I did not know about the wavy leading edge camo, so this was it... note the overpainted german markings on the wing

Nationality marking were painted on

LyFG2cn.jpg

QYD2lwd.jpg

HY74An8.jpg

And some more - still need some cleanup along the rudder stitching and in a few panel lines...

JbmZsY9.jpg

uQDg5TN.jpg

A rather intricate mask for this 'squadron insignia' (??)

6JscyEV.jpg

So this is were I am at today

• 2 years later...