Malvinas Mirage

blackbetty

Hi Karl

Just have a good look at the blast deflectors. There are different models . On the Mirages retrofitted with canards they are larger to deflect more gasses away at high angles of attack. (The canard equipped Mirages are capable of greater angle of attack)

The gun barrels do not protrude through them. On Alain's photo you can just see them end short  of the blast deflectors.

Nick

14 minutes ago, blackbetty said:

i have seen a pic where the deflector is open to the outside, but that is a mirage 2000 i think

I just checked the Duke Hawkins book on the Mirage 2000 and yes, the deflectors are indeed open to the ouside so I guess

you're assumption seems correct.

Lothar

Hi Karl

The Mirage 2000 (and F1) use a completely different system to the Mirage III. The "Blast deflector" on the Mirage 2000 is similar to a muzzle brake on a rifle and is fitted on the barrel itself.

It is the silver cap at the end of the barrel and turns some of the blast through 180 deg. It works well enough not to need large deflectors on the airframe.

CC5070E7-5888-44B6-8EA2-04588EF4D617.jpg

The Mirage III does not have anything on the end of the barrel, but the gun blast is deflected by deflectors on the airframe. If you are doing a Mirage III based on the Mirage IIIE, the photo-etched parts in the kit are correct.

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...