Support your local hobby shop

AlbertD

I know many of you get your hobby supplies on-line. I do too but it's nice to have a local shop to pick up supplies or the occasional kit. The shop near me has been closed for a month so far due to this infernal virus and will be closed another month. I am hoping they are viable and able to open when everything gets close to normal. When and if they re-open I plan to go in and buy a couple of kits and a bunch of supplies even though I might be able to get things a bit cheaper on line. Local business is important to the community. Please support it if you can so they might stay open for us in the future. 

I completely agree with this thread. I remember growing up and being very excited to go into my local hobby shop and “browse” the models I wanted to buy and build. Sadly, the mom and pop stores are few and far in between. I still enjoy going into a Hobby Lobby or Michaels and looking for stuff I can use. 
Jim

I'm pretty lucky as we have 4 shops plus a gaming store that carries all the Tamiya paint and tools. I only buy aftermarket on-line as none of the shops carry any unless I drive to Toronto.

There's really only one that is up in the air right now but his lease was up in the summer so he's deciding what to do. The others are a mix of toy's, RC and kits so they're good.

I live in a city of 400,00 give or take.

Don

I’m very lucky as I too have a local shop that is still servicing the local modeller!  I had to recently, as in the last two weeks replenish my supplies of paint and other items.  I contacted the owner who not only picked everything I needed but had it waiting curbside when I arrived.

So yes I really do believe in supporting the local guy.  He has really “saved my bacon” by having the things I needed.

Online shopping is one thing but trying to keep the “little guy” in business is still the better way in my opinion.

Here’s to better times down this long road ahead of us!

I wish I could, my LHS has recently closed after the owner of the building sold up and all current tenants were essentially evicted. New owners have their own plans for the building so no new shop. 
That said, I still do support local modelling supply business. eModels.co.uk are based a couple of miles away. I can either order online and collect or if I need something quick, I can pop in and ask if they have it in stock. 

The LHS here is mainly R/C cars/trucks now.  He has a few plastic kits, but nothing of interest.

For some time I have been entertaining the purchase of a 4WD R/C vehicle.  I think I will follow

through on that when he opens back up after all this is over with.

I buy wherever I can get the best price, period. There's really but one good HS anywhere near here anymore (aside from Hobby Lobby), and I do occasionally mail order from them. I'll be ordering stuff tomorrow, in fact. With me no longer having a car, mail order is really my only viable option now anyway.

1 hour ago, kalashnikov-47 said:

The LHS here is mainly R/C cars/trucks now.  He has a few plastic kits, but nothing of interest.

For some time I have been entertaining the purchase of a 4WD R/C vehicle.  I think I will follow

through on that when he opens back up after all this is over with.

Be warned, the RC car hobby is more expensive than this hobby. Its easy to start of with the "I'll only get a basic entry level RC car"  next thing you know you have a grand tied up in one or two 'good' RC cars.  If you do get an RC car get a Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXL. They are more expensive than the brushed  motor 2WD upfront but in the long run it'll be what you want if you get into it. Plus traxxas parts and support are pretty good and when you break a part they are easy to fix. Whatever you do, don't get a redcat car.

Ask me how i know all this....:D

Edited by The Dude

20 hours ago, The Dude said:

Be warned, the RC car hobby is more expensive than this hobby. Its easy to start of with the "I'll only get a basic entry level RC car"  next thing you know you have a grand tied up in one or two 'good' RC cars.  If you do get an RC car get a Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXL. They are more expensive than the brushed  motor 2WD upfront but in the long run it'll be what you want if you get into it. Plus traxxas parts and support are pretty good and when you break a part they are easy to fix. Whatever you do, don't get a redcat car.

Ask me how i know all this....:D

In Canada you can even get Traxxas parts at Best Buy.  Probably a great thing to increase interest in the hobby.

Both my sons are running Tamiya Grasshopper II buggies and my youngest one just got a Lunch Box as he wanted something more. 

I've got at least a dozen 1/10 & 1/8 cars, crawlers and monster trucks and still have a pair of 1/5 gassers. So not hard to fall down a very expensive rabbit hole. 

Carl

37 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

The grasshopper!  I've built many of those along with the Hornet when I was in the biz.  That's a real throw back in time.....

I actually never had one of them or the Hornet or Frog. A bunch of Clod Busters though. Been really debating getting another in fact. Still have an original Avante somewhere.